The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Adam Gaudette

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Does Green dare put Gaud in EP spot in the line up or is that a slap in the face to shut down C B. Sutter to have a rookie call up play higher up than you?

I don't think so.  My reasoning being Sutter has said at length he plays better with a defined role.  Why change it now?

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Guess Adam won’t play against the Marlies today then. Was thinking they would recall him after as the Canucks don’t play again until Tuesday. That said he’s coming off his first few goals at the pro level. Good time to call him up when his confidence is going. You have to look at the silver linings.  

Ya kinda dumb they coulda just called him up after the game cause it just ended 20 mins ago. Maybe they didn’t want Adam randomly getting injured today to haha. 

4 hours ago, 6string said:

I came under heavy fire for proposing a farm team here in BC or nearby, one person wrote like 3 - 5 paragraghs on my stupidity :) 

Calgary had the Abbotsford Heat for a while and I think it was tough going for them.  Things have changed since the addition of AHL teams in California.  Cali would be better but and even a BC team would be a better proposition today.

The thing with Utica is that travel is so easy, there is a lot of time for practice which is invaluable.  The obvious knock against Utica is the difficulty recalling players

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They already have 13 FWD's on the roster though, not counting Beagle. : / 

Beagle is definitely out and they don't know  whether Pettersson will play.  They need to be damn careful with EP.  I think that Gaudette is the next choice.  Granny could play centre.  I think that one thing that keeps Granny in the line up is his versatility.  Others, like Motte and Schaller, while they have played centre have no future in the middle.  Better to give Gaudette a shot even if it is a little sooner than expected.

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Beagle is definitely out and they don't know  whether Pettersson will play.  They need to be damn careful with EP.  I think that Gaudette is the next choice.  Granny could play centre.  I think that one thing that keeps Granny in the line up is his versatility.  Others, like Motte and Schaller, while they have played centre have no future in the middle.  Better to give Gaudette a shot even if it is a little sooner than expected.

I'm glad Gaudette is getting this shot. I thought coming into camp he would make the team. He's definitely earned it with his play in Utica so far.

I just don't think it bodes well for Pettersson playing right away. They haven't told us so maybe they don't know. But I wonder if they actually do know and this tips there hand that Pettersson won't play next game and maybe not the following game(s) either.

Could be wrong, could be reading too much into it. Its just my speculation since they have enough forwards to replace 1 guy on the roster as is without the call-up. 

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm glad Gaudette is getting this shot. I thought coming into camp he would make the team. He's definitely earned it with his play in Utica so far.

I just don't think it bodes well for Pettersson playing right away. They haven't told us so maybe they don't know. But I wonder if they actually do know and this tips there hand that Pettersson won't play next game and maybe not the following game(s) either.

Could be wrong, could be reading too much into it. Its just my speculation since they have enough forwards to replace 1 guy on the roster as is without the call-up. 

I would sit him out for awhile to be safe. No rush with us hosting the draft and all. We need as many losses as possible. Why rush him back?

15 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I would sit him out for awhile to be safe. No rush with us hosting the draft and all. We need as many losses as possible. Why rush him back?

I agree. He's the franchise. They need him to be healthy the next 15 years not the play the next 15 games. Concussions are scary enough as it is. 

Him being out of the lineup long effectively ends any long ball shot this team had at competing for a playoff spot though. Just like the Horvat injury sank them last year.

Even in this game against FLA that they are so proud of winning, it was EP's goal that got the ball rolling for this team once again.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Actually, it does bode well for Pettersson. The fact that they only called up Gaudette means that if Pettersson misses any games, it won't be many. If he was going to be out for a lengthy period of time, they'd put him on IR as well and have to call someone else up along with Gaudette.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They already have 13 FWD's on the roster though, not counting Beagle. : / 

Gaudette would be called up to take Beagles spot.  This will give Gaudette a good look maybe 10-12 games. Nobody has said if pattersson will be out?

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would it not be better to have prospects already use to our heavy travel schedule by having an Farm team closer to Van? Rather than get use to a cushy bus ride like say Philly then get a shock when they get the chance at the NHL.

I dont think it matters either way. For us fans if we had our Farm team close it would be cool to watch them in person, thats my big push for it to get moved. Plus if Seattle gets a team it will likely be west coast so more west coast AHL teams = less travel!?

More travel = less practice. We've got a lot of young players on Utica right now who could potentially be our core for the next few years in Vancouver. Better to have more time to work on things that they need to improve to take the next step rather than spending time on the plane and doing nothing. Guys like Juolevi, Dahlen, Palmu, and Gaudette for example could all use more time on North American ice (maybe not Gaudette) and going through the rigours of playing against guys who are close to NHL level talent and skill. 

It's cool for us fans to see the prospects in person and have the ability to do so. But at the same time, you know as well as everyone else here knows how toxic our media can be. That kind of negativity can do a lot to a young player, especially when they aren't from North America (Dahlen, Palmu, etc.)

55 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Gaudette would be called up to take Beagles spot.  This will give Gaudette a good look maybe 10-12 games. Nobody has said if pattersson will be out?

But Granlund could take Beagle's spot then Leipsic or Motte draw in, that's the part I'm stuck on I guess. I doubt Gaudette will play top PK over Granny like Beagle did.

I think Gaudette will get a longer look too because I doubt they'd want to pull him away from Utica just for a game or two with how well he's doing. I just don't know what that means for Pettersson. Only thing I've heard so far is Benning say that he's 'better' today. I'm sure we will find out a bit more tommorrow. Hopefully anyways. 

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

Actually, it does bode well for Pettersson. The fact that they only called up Gaudette means that if Pettersson misses any games, it won't be many. If he was going to be out for a lengthy period of time, they'd put him on IR as well and have to call someone else up along with Gaudette.

I doubt they know how many games it will be at this point. I guess we will see if they have practice tomorrow and he's on the ice or not. With concussions its hard to know. Demko and Roussel weren't on IR. And of course they are hoping he's back ASAP as he's prob already the teams best player.

I just think if it was just a game or two they wouldn't need another center with having two FWD's already HS'd last game, but I have no insight into the situation so you could be right. 

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Calgary had the Abbotsford Heat for a while and I think it was tough going for them.  Things have changed since the addition of AHL teams in California.  Cali would be better but and even a BC team would be a better proposition today.

The thing with Utica is that travel is so easy, there is a lot of time for practice which is invaluable.  The obvious knock against Utica is the difficulty recalling players

I think there are far more practises than recalls. so i favour the players being in the East and getting more training for the big league

8 hours ago, mooby said:

In my world.  EP40 plays next game.  Even if it's unrealistic that's the world I'm choosing to live in :)

I really wouldn’t be surprised. Superstars usually bounce right back. 

Yes he hit his head but I’m thinking his nuts were probably throbbing with pain too courtesy of Matheson’s stick lift.

Probably his throat too from the chokeslam he got on his way to hitting the ice.

Yep, head, throat & nuts.

For any talk of having an AHL team in BC, that's a crazy talk. I prefer Canucks to have the farm team in Utica for a very long time for three reasons: easier travel and more practice time and also work on other things in gym as they do not play games for 4-5 days at a time throughout the year.   If you play a back to back game in Utica and an away game to another town, then you can have a practice time the next day for next 4-5 days rather than having a back to back games then fly back home and practice two days later at a very different time zone is a killer.   The call-up is an inconvenience if we happens to be at home.   It is not a big deal but very beneficial if we happen to be on the road.  We seem to get injuries while being on the road than at home.  

Archived