The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wish Goldy would simplify his game

*Buzzsaw*

Goldy had a fantastic 2 way game against Boston. Showed some flashes of talent and hustle. I think if he could improve his shot he could be a top flight goal scorer. He also has to generally slow down on the rush because our defencemen are too slow to get out of the zone and don't generally make great outlet passes. When our defence improves I think both his and Boesers production will improve!

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Everyone can see how talented Goldobin is.  There is no doubt when he has the puck, he can dangle, and he can skate.  And he can make some nice passing plays.

He gets a ton of opportunities to score because he puts himself in the right position.

Unfortunately that is where the problem arrives...  he doesn't cash in on those opportunities because he tends to overthink and lose focus on the puck.

I don't know how many times I have seen him fumble receiving a pass because he took his eye off the puck and was looking too far ahead to what he could do 10 seconds ahead.

Same goes with his shot... he whiffs way too often because he is not focusing on the puck and is instead looking around and deciding whether he is actually going to shoot or pass or what.

Same goes with his decision making re. whether to shoot or whether to make one more dangle or make one more nifty little pass...  in a lot of instances he hangs onto the puck too long and ends up without a shot and without a successful pass.  When he does this in the defensive zone, it can provide a scoring opportunity for the other side.

Playing with Pettersson was good for him because EP40 naturally became the playmaker on the line and the decisions were made for Goldobin... he was a shooter.  But when Goldy plays with other linemates, he tries to do everything and most of the time does nothing.

Some players have the ability to always know exactly where the puck and other players are even when it is not on their stick... Pettersson seems to have that ability.  Goldobin doesn't.  And trying to focus on three different things at the same time means he loses his opportunities.

Coach should sit him down and tell Goldy he needs to take a 'Shoot First' mentality.  Just focus on the puck and getting it off his stick and at the net as soon as possible.  And same with passing... take the first opportunity and focus on the puck.

I am not sure he will be a success with this team until he learns to simplify his game.

If you want Goldy to simplify his game you could just watch Jake play, That's kind of a simple game. Goldy is going to figure those moves out and they are going to create chances and goals.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, IBatch said:

As fans we definitely need to get use to this (as you mentioned not very many rookies do what Boeser did last year), right now there is a long list of players developing in Utica in preparation for their chance.  And we have another guy in JV that could take another step, or at the very least refine some things and settle into a modest career as a third liner which isn’t the end of the world.  Gaudette, OJ, Hughes, Dahlen, Demko and maybe Lind and or Jonah G and possibly a few others will also go through it.  Great time to be a fan!

Nice to see Dahlen being benched!

On 10/20/2018 at 10:32 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Well tonight's game made me happy.

Goldy was doing everything the right way, taking his time and making clean decisive passes.

Its great to see him take it to the next level.

Frankly after last season I thought Goldy was questionable at best to make this years opening roster. You could see his offensive talent but his play without the puck was still lacking. He's actually quite impressed me with his play at both ends thus far. He's finally stepped up and seized this opportunity. His play in the preseason is the reason Gagner was waived.

Goldobin has been playing better than any years prior but it is still concerning that he doesn't have a point since EP went down (5 straight without a point). 

It's more important to be dangerous than to just look dangerous and he needs to start producing. As someone once said, this isn't the try hard league. 

I'm glad he's figuring out his defensive deficiencies but he needs to get some pucks into the opposing net without having to rely on EP to get them. 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Goldobin has been playing better than any years prior but it is still concerning that he doesn't have a point since EP went down (5 straight without a point). 

It's more important to be dangerous than to just look dangerous and he needs to start producing. As someone once said, this isn't the try hard league. 

I'm glad he's figuring out his defensive deficiencies but he needs to get some pucks into the opposing net without having to rely on EP to get them. 

If the games wind up 2-1 or 1-0... there aren't going to be any players on either team setting scoring records.

But if Goldy's play defensively is strong enough to ensure we are in those 2-1 and 1-0 wins, I have zero issue with him not scoring. If it's scoring and winning by committee, so be it. He'll get points here and there, he's simply too good not to. You can see the talent whenever he has a puck on his stick.

I've been very impressed with his effort on the backcheck over the past 4-5 games or so, he's even bumped a few guys into the boards to get a puck back. He's doing the little things right and his ice is increasing as a result.

For me, the Pettersson connection is a mental one; they both think the same game, the same way. It's why that works so well. Petey has immense talent to match, so him and Goldie can play off each other with ease, it's one of those "if I saw a guy doing 'this', where would I go?" things... and the other guy goes there. They can really match a play like that. Less 'creative' players can't think like that, they see and react - and play well with players who do the same. For example, Virtanen is not really a creative play 'generator', but rather a very good reactionary player. If he plays with other guys like that within a system, he'll do well and has done so this year. Goldy and EP are talent and creativity, so they can bend the system to match each other's ability and hockey sense and play well together.

Just like the Sedins needed a particular type of player in a linemate to make it 'work' - not necessarily the prototype player you'd think to play with them.

He set up Boeser all night vs the bruins. Boeser couldn’t finish or continue the play until the final one with Bo.

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

He set up Boeser all night vs the bruins. Boeser couldn’t finish or continue the play until the final one with Bo.

As I said, more important to be dangerous than look dangerous. It's good he set up chances, but he's now pointless in 5 straight. That's unacceptable for an offensive player. 

45 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

As I said, more important to be dangerous than look dangerous. It's good he set up chances, but he's now pointless in 5 straight. That's unacceptable for an offensive player. 

that's reductive.

You don't judge the setup based on whether it was finished or not.  A great set up is equally 'dangerous' regardless.

"production" is not the only yardstick - and can be highly misleading in tiny samples like 5 games.

the team scored 1 goal in regulation against Boston - but still won the game.

so Goldobin's defensive development is absolutely important.   "offensive players" need to play a complete game - and when they do, your team can win those 2-1 games.

I'll take no points in a 2-1 win over 2 pts in a 5-3 loss, every time.

I would argue that he is budding into a two way player at the moment.  Certainly defending isn’t his strong suit but it is greatly improved to the point where he is noticeable in that part of the game.  So if you consider that he was generating offence in a 2-1 game vs Boston playing with a player (Boeser) who is obviously fighting the puck still and not in game shape yet, I’d say his production is on track and relative to team production.

ep’s production while a blessing, is not a guarantee.  No proof that it is sustainable.  So I don’t think it’s accurate to suggest that goldobin only benefits from ep being in the lineup.  

Its two weeks in.  I don’t think we can conclude anything yet.

Is it okay for a 6M player in Eriksson to not have a point since EP injury as well.. Or that he hasn't had a point in 6 straight games, that seems more unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that's reductive.

You don't judge the setup based on whether it was finished or not.  A great set up is equally 'dangerous' regardless.

"production" is not the only yardstick - and can be highly misleading in tiny samples like 5 games.

the team scored 1 goal in regulation against Boston - but still won the game.

so Goldobin's defensive development is absolutely important.   "offensive players" need to play a complete game - and when they do, your team can win those 2-1 games.

I'll take no points in a 2-1 win over 2 pts in a 5-3 loss, every time.

A great setup is not equally dangerous. Where you pass the puck (into feet, slightly ahead of receiving player, into the player's wheelhouse) has a marked effect as to how good the chance will become. Giving a tap-in to someone where there is a 90% chance of scoring is also far different than passing it to someone 20 ft from the net with a 30% chance of scoring. Goldobin can thread a puck to a trailer. He hasn't shown that tap in, or open net gift passes ability just yet.

Completely agree with the second half of what you posted so I don't understand why it needs to be brought up. I acknowledge his defensive improvement but to be a good player in this league, he's going to have to put up points. 

His vision is excellent, his execution is lacking. I see improvement, need to see more to consider him worthy of a top-six spot. And not just piggy backing off of EP. 

Given that players getting passes from Goldy are only shooting 3% this year, that's bound to increase and get Goldy some more points. 

He's had opportunities to score himself but the puck either rolls off his stick or he can't make the goalie bite on his move. 

Canucks army has a good article: https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/22/the-price-of-gold/

15 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps you should read Darryl Keeping's blog in Canucks Army from today about Goldobin.

I have. Problem is we've seen this movie before. So has San Jose. His underlying numbers continue to improve. I'm holding off praise until I see him produce. Right now, I see him as a 15 goal, 35 point player (without EP) until he proves otherwise. Given his underlying numbers, I'm hopeful he turns out better than Sven Baertschi. But I'm holding off praise until he starts helping the Canucks win. 

18 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Is it okay for a 6M player in Eriksson to not have a point since EP injury as well.. Or that he hasn't had a point in 6 straight games, that seems more unacceptable.

Completely irrelevant. We all know Eriksson has been terrible in a Canucks uni.

5 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

A great setup is not equally dangerous. Where you pass the puck (into feet, slightly ahead of receiving player, into the player's wheelhouse) has a marked effect as to how good the chance will become. Giving a tap-in to someone where there is a 90% chance of scoring is also far different than passing it to someone 20 ft from the net with a 30% chance of scoring. Goldobin can thread a puck to a trailer. He hasn't shown that tap in, or open net gift passes ability just yet.

Completely agree with the second half of what you posted so I don't understand why it needs to be brought up. I acknowledge his defensive improvement but to be a good player in this league, he's going to have to put up points. 

His vision is excellent, his execution is lacking. I see improvement, need to see more to consider him worthy of a top-six spot. And not just piggy backing off of EP. 

Given that players getting passes from Goldy are only shooting 3% this year, that's bound to increase and get Goldy some more points. 

He's had opportunities to score himself but the puck either rolls off his stick or he can't make the goalie bite on his move. 

Canucks army has a good article: https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/22/the-price-of-gold/

I have. Problem is we've seen this movie before. So has San Jose. His underlying numbers continue to improve. I'm holding off praise until I see him produce. Right now, I see him as a 15 goal, 35 point player (without EP) until he proves otherwise. Given his underlying numbers, I'm hopeful he turns out better than Sven Baertschi. But I'm holding off praise until he starts helping the Canucks win. 

Completely irrelevant. We all know Eriksson has been terrible in a Canucks uni.

How is that irrelevant what you're saying is irrelevant to begin with.

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How is that irrelevant what you're saying is irrelevant to begin with.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Why are you bringing Eriksson into the conversation? What relevance does his lack of production, which was widely expected, have to this discussion? Your usage of the word irrelevant is also incorrect.

I want more production out of Goldobin. He's playing well, but the finish/polish isn't there. The pass to Boeser in the slot was bouncing and difficult to get a good shot off, his other opportunities are all passes to trailing players. Chances, but not grade A chances. Goal scoring finishing is missing as well. Its why he's struggled to put up points in the NHL. Here's hoping he can get there, that's all. 

Archived