The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Value of Parayko?

shoeyj86

Given Rumors that St.Louis is open for business and that virtually no player is in touchable, what would it take for the JB to pry out Parayko?

To VAN:

Parayko

To STL

2019 1st rnd pick (top 5 protected) 

Adam Gaudette

Nick Goldobin

Troy Stetcher

Do you think that gets it done? Too much or too little for Parayko? 

No thanks.  That guts the depth of our team.  I am not a GM and don't know exactly what he is worth but he is not worth that to me. Goldobin is our 3rd leading scorer.  Gaudette is a future middle 6 center with top six possibilities.  Stecher is one of our more consistent rhd.  We need more 1st round picks to keep this rebuild going in the right direction.  One very good defenseman does not make up for all of that.

Parayko is a 25 year old, top 4, right-handed defenseman who will give you 30+ points per year and is on a good, long-term deal.

He's going to be very very expensive to trade for. 

St. Louis needs goaltending so I feel we'd need to include Demko or Dipietro in any deal. Gudbranson+Demko+pick maybe. Depends if they value Gudbranson as a player.

I do agree they need a goaltender, but they also need more C depth and goal scoring. Which is why I choose those players. The deal really revolves around the 1st rnd pick since STL doesn’t have one this year. 

I get it’s a frightening thing to give that up, but Parayko is a top tier, 24yr old, puck movin RHD. Everything we need and don’t have in our prospect pool. He and Hughes could and probably would be the anchor to our blue line for many years to come. Also he is on a team friendly deal for another 3 years. 

29 minutes ago, shoeyj86 said:

I do agree they need a goaltender, but they also need more C depth and goal scoring. Which is why I choose those players. The deal really revolves around the 1st rnd pick since STL doesn’t have one this year. 

I get it’s a frightening thing to give that up, but Parayko is a top tier, 24yr old, puck movin RHD. Everything we need and don’t have in our prospect pool. He and Hughes could and probably would be the anchor to our blue line for many years to come. Also he is on a team friendly deal for another 3 years. 

How old is Jett Woo?  I'd say, in three or four years, Woo is as good (if not better than) Parayko.  We are rebuilding, and need our young assets (and all our picks).  

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Paryako, but is he really as good as we think?  I would rather go after EK July one 2019.

Karlsson is not worth 2 Paraykos though, which is what it'll likely cost to sign Karlsson. He wanted to be one of if not the highest paid D-men in the league. Parayko has 4 years (3 after this one) at 5.5mil. The value of his cap hit alone is insane. 35 point, 22 minute a game, right handed two way D-men have value through the roof. Right up there with elite centers. Something tells me they want a goalie back though, and no not Markstrom or Nilsson. So if they want a goalie back for Parayko I think we should opt out of any bidding wars, unless they are okay with DiPietro. Demko is a deal breaker for me.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Karlsson is not worth 2 Paraykos though, which is what it'll likely cost to sign Karlsson. He wanted to be one of if not the highest paid D-men in the league. Parayko has 4 years (3 after this one) at 5.5mil. The value of his cap hit alone is insane. 35 point, 22 minute a game, right handed two way D-men have value through the roof. Right up there with elite centers. Something tells me they want a goalie back though, and no not Markstrom or Nilsson. So if they want a goalie back for Parayko I think we should opt out of any bidding wars, unless they are okay with DiPietro. Demko is a deal breaker for me.

I think if we could get Parayko for Dipietro (or Demko) plus our 2020 first round pick, and a D prospect like (Brisbois?) then it's worth it.  We can't be giving up and picks from the 2019 draft. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How old is Jett Woo?  I'd say, in three or four years, Woo is as good (if not better than) Parayko.  We are rebuilding, and need our young assets (and all our picks).  

Jett Woo is young, but there is little to no guarantee that Woo turns out to be as good as Parayko. If he does then great, He can replace Tanev. 

I don’t disagree with needing. Our young assets and picks, but if it is to acquire a stud like Parayko, I think it’s worth the sacrifice to upgrade our weakest position. Also, Parayko is only 24 so he fits in very well with what the “new” core is going to be. 

8 minutes ago, shoeyj86 said:

Jett Woo is young, but there is little to no guarantee that Woo turns out to be as good as Parayko. If he does then great, He can replace Tanev. 

I don’t disagree with needing. Our young assets and picks, but if it is to acquire a stud like Parayko, I think it’s worth the sacrifice to upgrade our weakest position. Also, Parayko is only 24 so he fits in very well with what the “new” core is going to be. 

I think if we could get Parayko for Dipietro (or Demko) plus our 2020 first round pick, and a D prospect like (Brisbois?) then it's worth it.  We can't be giving up and picks from the 2019 draft. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The only pick from this draft worth worrying about is the 1st. We have good depth in our prospect pool, but one more elite level prospect and we are set. But yeah, if all it costs us is Brisebois, next years first and DiPietro then we take the deal and run. I really think his value is higher than that package, unless we pull a Toronto and bottom out next year and give them a top 5 pick.

2 hours ago, shoeyj86 said:

Given Rumors that St.Louis is open for business and that virtually no player is in touchable, what would it take for the JB to pry out Parayko?

To VAN:

Parayko

To STL

Adam Gaudette

Nick Goldobin

Troy Stetcher

Take Gaudette off the list.  I would rather move Sutter. Stecher is a guy I would rather keep.  Include the right to Tree. For me Parayko or Pietrangelo are guys to target.  

1st, Goldy and Tree.. Granlund or Sutter are possible sweeteners.

27 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Take Gaudette off the list.  I would rather move Sutter. Stecher is a guy I would rather keep.  Include the right to Tree. For me Parayko or Pietrangelo are guys to target.  

1st, Goldy and Tree.. Granlund or Sutter are possible sweeteners.

Gotta give to get and that proposal for Parayko is pretty fair. 

It's hard to gauge what would be a reasonable deal as I'm not sure what St. Louis is looking for. Are they going full on reset and rebuild or are they looking to shake things up but try to be competitive soon? They have too many players in the age range where they should be competing and I can't see them offloading everyone for picks and prospects. The reason it's confusing is because they're suggesting everyone is available even their young guys potentially.

With that said, I think the standard for top end players are generally a 1st, prospect and a roster player. So for someone like Parayko/Pietrangelo, I might suggest 2020 1st (don't want to give up the 2019), Gaudette (centers have good value and we have Madden who's looking decent right now), and Hutton (relatively young, plays top 4 minutes currently and we have an influx of LD coming in soon with Juolevi, Hughes, and potentially Rathbone and Brisebois). I may even consider moving Lind as well if needed.

Gaudette is really the only guy that I'm hesitant to move because he seems like a genuinely nice guy that is loyal to the team, but his progression will be key and he does have some impact towards the expansion draft as well. With this move, we could potentially open up moving Tanev or Gudbranson (and collect a late 1st for Toronto?) to mitigate the loss of a 1st in 2020 (hopefully we have a better year and at least squeak into the playoffs).

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Gotta give to get and that proposal for Parayko is pretty fair. 

Look at a deal for McDonagh last year. Keep in mind McDonagh was an up coming UFA at the time. Tampa gave up Namestikov (roster player), Howden (very good prospect), Hajek (another decent prospect), a 1st and a conditional 2nd. Tampa acquired JT Miller as well which probably offsets the 2nd and Hajek and some of the rental effect potential of McDonagh at the time.

There's too much uncertainty towards Tryamkin's return and he will be away for at least another season. Goldy is no longer a prospect, but more of a project player that is showing decent numbers this year, but I don't see his value being upped that much since he was last traded for a middle/bottom 6 player. One could say Goldobin is on pace for 48 points this year and hopefully that's what other teams see, but I'm sure real scouting will see that playing with Pettersson has likely inflated his stats and while his game off the puck has improved since we acquired him, it's still a long ways off from being effective. There isn't enough value there IMO for St Louis to give up Parayko.

4 hours ago, shoeyj86 said:

To VAN:

Parayko

To STL

Adam Gaudette

Nick Goldobin

Troy Stetcher

That is pretty fair. I think the offer would have to be better honestly. There is no NHL player there except really Goldobin who I don't think will be in the NHL much longer. Well, there stetcher but I don't think he is worth much.

To VAN:

Parayko

To STL

Adam Gaudette

Jake Virtanen

Troy Stetcher

I think this would be the deal you'd need.

6 hours ago, shoeyj86 said:

To VAN:

Parayko

To STL

Adam Gaudette

Nick Goldobin

Troy Stetcher

Lots of gambling on St Louis' side.  Not only do they gamble on the progression of 3 players, but they also gamble that your 1st isn't a top 5.  And Colton Parayko isn't a gamble, he's a beast.  

St. Louis says no in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Lots of gambling on St Louis' side.  Not only do they gamble on the progression of 3 players, but they also gamble that your 1st isn't a top 5.  And Colton Parayko isn't a gamble, he's a beast.  

St. Louis says no in my opinion. 

Yup. Think more quality.  Less quantity.  There’s no reason for them to move him shy of a clear win trade. There are other pieces on that team more likely to move 

Archived