On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, coastal.view said:

if you want to take a serious look at brock's contract

look at percentage of cap

he should get in the range of 10% of cap

if he maintains his pace since he started in the nhl

of 40 goals per season

he is still an rfa, so there is some discounting for that

but 8 years will buy free agent years

and the cap will go up about 2.5 million per year, or 20 million over the 8 year terms

10% of cap now is about 8 million, 10% of cap in last of his 8 year contract will be around 10 million

so his contract will need to be over 8 million aav and likely closer to 9 million

so your "works well" is about 10 million light

I doubt contract negotiations look into projected cap increases especially over that long of a duration. Who knows what the cap will be like in 6 years? The benefit of the cap going up should allow teams to fit in their best players/be able to sign depth and we shouldn't be signing a contract that takes into account the cap increase to hinder our cap situation for the duration of the contract. Perhaps his agent will view it the way you do, but I certainly would not want to make a deal like this from the team's perspective.

Personally I think 7.5 per year for 8 years is certainly reasonable and he can have a NMC or whatever in his UFA years to discount some of those years plus the fact that he's on a RFA contract currently which should lower his bargaining. Add in the fact that Horvat looks massively underpaid consider he's almost PPG on top of everything else he provides and the Canucks have a good case to lower the negotiations even further. Boeser doesn't seem like a selfish guy and will do what's reasonable for himself and the team if he expects to win, so I wouldn't be shocked at 5 year deal for 6.5 million. I look at someone like Gaudreau who signed a 6 year 6.75 million per year deal in a similar circumstance (2nd contract with no arbitration rights and coming off being a PPG and arguably more valuable to his team than Boeser). Although in this case, Boeser might hit the 7 million mark due to "inflation" of the cap from when Gaudreau signed.

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think he is 7.5 on a 6 year deal, slightly above or below 9 on an 8 year deal.  Anything over 6 years buys prime UFA and will cost huge $.

The UFA years really depends on how committed he is to Vancouver whether he feels it'll be important to have that option to potentially hit the market. If he's committed to Vancouver, then we can give him a NMC for those extra years so that he remains a Canucks and hopefully he takes a bit of a discount in that case. The Canucks are trending up and we should hopefully be a very good team beyond the 6 year mark anyway and he would help contribute to building that good team by giving us more cap space to work with come that time. If he does do an 8 year deal that includes UFA years, then 8x8 seems fair to me as maybe he comes a bit under in terms of the UFA market, but we will be paying him more for the first 6 years to make up for it (where he has less favourable negotiation on his side, unless he chooses to sign a bridge).

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The UFA years really depends on how committed he is to Vancouver whether he feels it'll be important to have that option to potentially hit the market. If he's committed to Vancouver, then we can give him a NMC for those extra years so that he remains a Canucks and hopefully he takes a bit of a discount in that case. The Canucks are trending up and we should hopefully be a very good team beyond the 6 year mark anyway and he would help contribute to building that good team by giving us more cap space to work with come that time. If he does do an 8 year deal that includes UFA years, then 8x8 seems fair to me as maybe he comes a bit under in terms of the UFA market, but we will be paying him more for the first 6 years to make up for it (where he has less favourable negotiation on his side, unless he chooses to sign a bridge).

I don't disagree with you.  8x8 on a discount, 9+ open market.  I feel that is the going rate for a 40 goal, 70-80 point winger.  I may be delusional, but I feel that guys like Brock and EP seem like the type of guys who would take team friendly deals rather that try to grind out every penny.  

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I doubt contract negotiations look into projected cap increases especially over that long of a duration. Who knows what the cap will be like in 6 years? The benefit of the cap going up should allow teams to fit in their best players/be able to sign depth and we shouldn't be signing a contract that takes into account the cap increase to hinder our cap situation for the duration of the contract. Perhaps his agent will view it the way you do, but I certainly would not want to make a deal like this from the team's perspective.

Personally I think 7.5 per year for 8 years is certainly reasonable and he can have a NMC or whatever in his UFA years to discount some of those years plus the fact that he's on a RFA contract currently which should lower his bargaining. Add in the fact that Horvat looks massively underpaid consider he's almost PPG on top of everything else he provides and the Canucks have a good case to lower the negotiations even further. Boeser doesn't seem like a selfish guy and will do what's reasonable for himself and the team if he expects to win, so I wouldn't be shocked at 5 year deal for 6.5 million. I look at someone like Gaudreau who signed a 6 year 6.75 million per year deal in a similar circumstance (2nd contract with no arbitration rights and coming off being a PPG and arguably more valuable to his team than Boeser). Although in this case, Boeser might hit the 7 million mark due to "inflation" of the cap from when Gaudreau signed.

so you are saying

if you are an agent

you would allow your client to sign a long term contract

and ignore the fact the cap goes up every year??

i can assure you that agents always factor this in

just like they account for free agent years included in a contract

players tend to only accept the so called home town discounts

when a team is at its peak

this team is not

contracts are the business side of hockey

and players have pressure on them to obtain highest value available

to increase the overall salaries of all players

bo did not take a home town discount

many thought he was overpaid when his contract was signed

his contract is also lower as he did not sign an 8 year contract

so think about what you believe is a bit of an over payment for brock

and that is more likely the number he will sign at

rather then any discount number you propose

since you think 7.5 is fair and a bit of a discount for brock

i think it more likely he will end up signing for over 8 aav (likely 8.5)

the other part about your bo comparisons

is that your argument is weak when you think about ep40

you think he'll sign for under 10?

under 12? if he continues his current pace?

what does that do to your concerns about bo?

if ep40 signs for a contract double bo's aav?

bo's contract will have very minimal impact on the brock and ep40 signings

at least in my view

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you are saying

if you are an agent

you would allow your client to sign a long term contract

and ignore the fact the cap goes up every year??

i can assure you that agents always factor this in

just like they account for free agent years included in a contract

players tend to only accept the so called home town discounts

when a team is at its peak

this team is not

contracts are the business side of hockey

and players have pressure on them to obtain highest value available

to increase the overall salaries of all players

bo did not take a home town discount

many thought he was overpaid when his contract was signed

his contract is also lower as he did not sign an 8 year contract

so think about what you believe is a bit of an over payment for brock

and that is more likely the number he will sign at

rather then any discount number you propose

since you think 7.5 is fair and a bit of a discount for brock

i think it more likely he will end up signing for over 8 aav (likely 8.5)

the other part about your bo comparisons

is that your argument is weak when you think about ep40

you think he'll sign for under 10?

under 12? if he continues his current pace?

what does that do to your concerns about bo?

if ep40 signs for a contract double bo's aav?

bo's contract will have very minimal impact on the brock and ep40 signings

at least in my view

Actually I'm saying if I'm an agent then I would argue the cap increase argument to bump up the numbers, but from a team perspective, I would not want this. So at the end of the day it averages out in the middle somewhere.

I agree that Bo likely signed a cheaper deal so it wouldn't buy into his UFA years, but that's also a factor into Boeser new contract. When you split it up and say his first 6 years have less bargaining power. I'm suggesting 6.5 million for 5 years, but lets say 7 million for 6 years (all RFA years). Who knows what he will become 6 years down the road (injuries or decline, or even the other spectrum in that he improves and becomes a 50 goal scorer), so if his play drops off for whatever reason in 6 years, let's say his value remains at 7 million a season, but if it peaks, maybe he net a 13 million dollar a season contract come that time, so we average it out to about 10 million based on potential possibilities. So 2 years of UFA status at 10 million evaluation. So over the 8 year contract, he nets 62 million, which averages out to 7.75 million per season. Bump it back a bit to 7.5 million a year as a team friendly discount and give him a NMC for those UFA years.

There will be arguments about why he deserves more and some will say less, but it'll all average out generally. If he hits 8x8, I'll be fine with that too and that would add 4 million more than what I suggested over the duration of the contract and hopefully should cover the difference for cap increase if that is a factor.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, Samgagner'sface said:

I'd hope for 8x8, but we'll see. Can't believe we have Horvat doing what he's been doing for 5.5. Maybe the best deal in the league right now

At this moment I’d say it’s the second best deal after Scheifele.

As for Brock it’s tough to say as we aren’t even halfway through the season but I’d love to see something along the lines of 7x7.

24 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I don't disagree with you.  8x8 on a discount, 9+ open market.  I feel that is the going rate for a 40 goal, 70-80 point winger.  I may be delusional, but I feel that guys like Brock and EP seem like the type of guys who would take team friendly deals rather that try to grind out every penny.  

That 9+ on the open market possibility is at least 6 years down the road too and there are many factors that could be looked at to determine if he would even hit that number come UFA time. The reality is those 6 years should "buy down" his overall contract and the UFA years will have a much smaller impact to the overall contract (if 8 years). 6.5-7 million is nothing to scoff at with much less bargaining power, plus I agree that I don't see Boeser being the type of guy that will sit out like Nylander to force his hand. I don't think Nylander is a fair comparable either as I think he is overpaid and I would have to consider guys like Gaudreau who also has a very team friendly deal of 6.75 over 6 years on his 2nd contract. Or even Ehlers at 6 million for 7 years (which buys what looks like 3 UFA years for him).

Archived