The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] New CBA: 24 man roster?

zombieksa

This is a thought I have had for the last few seasons regarding roster sizes for NHL teams. I think having 24 players leads to benefits that both the NHLPA and GM's can garner.

For NHLPA:
-31 new jobs being paid NHL salaries

-less players needing to be placed on waivers

-more job security for fringe/role NHLers

-allows rookies to be around the league more, even if as a healthy scratch

For GM's

- less likely to lose a player to waivers

- easier to get to cap floor for poorer teams

- more versatility in scratches, could have a LHD, RHD, C, and a W waiting in the ranks to get a chance if a player on the roster is injured or not playing up to snuff. No more need to determine if going with 13F/8D or 14F/7D. 

- ability to hold 3G if need be for teams with goalie crunch situations (EG vancouver could call up Demko to get a few games in for NHL experience.
- No requirement to meet the 24 player roster size so teams can remain with 23 players if they want.

I just feel that adding one more slot would solve some problems and cause less paperwork for teams with waivers and sending players down. Enough teams have the cap space to add a 24th player to their rosters. Just my opinion.

From Vancouver's point of view there are a few things that we could be doing:
-Keeping Sam Gagner around instead of loaning him to an opponents AHL team
-Calling up Demko to get him into games
-Keeping Leipsic instead of losing him to LA on waivers
-Keeping Gaudette/Schaller/Motte around when Sutter returns to the lineup

I do like this option, though it does potentially leave a lot more players in limbo when they might rather at least be playing somewhere. Think Frankie Corrado situation.

From a fan, GM, and coach's perspective though, I can see all three liking the idea. 

If you add another player per team then you are going to reduce the average salary.....why would existing players think this is a good thing? That money would almost certainly come at the expense of the low end to mid level players as the high end guys will always get their money. Yes, it does create more jobs but if you are going to use that spot it will be either for a rookie or a plug that isn't good enough for the NHL anyways. Players would be all for this if the cap went up proportionately but Melnyk and company would not be too happy. Having 3 healthy scratches per game seems like plenty to me.

You would also get major push back from the CHL if it meant more teams would keep CHL eligible players.

This would leave too many players scratched unless one extra player could be allowed which couls then be deployed in a specialty position. Problem is though that they wouldn't really be in the game.

I would rather see another year of waiver eligibility for young players to avoid rushing them to the NHL too soon.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd also like to see when a player leaves college, the team still has his rights for two years. 

This will stop college players from bolting to UFA status right away. 

I don't see a reason to punish a guy who decided that an education is priority.  

24 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

I don't see a reason to punish a guy who decided that an education is priority.  

I don't see why a team should be punished because they drafted a college player, and can just spend four years in college and lose their rights either. 

On 1/1/2019 at 12:13 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't see why a team should be punished because they drafted a college player, and can just spend four years in college and lose their rights either. 

It's actually faster for Non-college players to become free agents after being drafted, just have to wait two years from their draft date. College players wait 4.

Or use a 23-man roster and allowing them to slot in a game in case of injury so that they are not in bind of playing a man short for the rest of the game.   Once a replacement is made, the injured player are not eligible to re-enter in the game for the rest of the game.  The only exception of this rule is game misconduct, which means he is kicked out of the game and cannot play for the rest of the game and no replacement for that player who is tossed out of the game and a team must be forced to play rest of the game shorthanded down from the bench.   5 on 5 play still on after a major penalty is served but must play the rest of the game with 19 players instead of normal 20 players game day roster.

Archived