The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Separatism

ABNuck

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

I've lived in Montreal....it's great 2.5 months of the year.  However, that province is a sponge off the rest of us. Only Quebec would have students walk out over minor tuition hikes that still left them paying less than the rest of the country. 

Great to see students standing up for themselves.

Post secondary should be free for high end students...... Canada needs them to stay in Canada....

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I've lived in Montreal....it's great 2.5 months of the year.  However, that province is a sponge off the rest of us. Only Quebec would have students walk out over minor tuition hikes that still left them paying less than the rest of the country. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great to see students standing up for themselves.

Post secondary should be free for high end students...... Canada needs them to stay in Canada....

The tuition hike was mostly aim towards students from the middle class.  

The students protested about how it will impact the "disadvantaged", even though there are tons of resources for people from lower income and I believe there was to be even more funding towards that group overall.

Long story short.... rich, snobby university students were offended that they may need to downsize their Venti frap to a Grande from Starbucks like once per week.  

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

You said its a small price for beauty and splendor. The association is from *YOU*, not me. What has beauty and splendor got to do with taxes ?!

Seriously. I'm not here to write a goddamn essay son. Figure your $&!# out.

Or move to Alberta and have your epiphany

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Seriously. I'm not here to write a goddamn essay son. Figure your $&!# out.

Or move to Alberta and have your epiphany

Or vote for a government that will lower income taxes and allow pipelines. Which is what i did :)

PS: I have my $&!# figured out...just trying to make sense of YOUR $&!#....which i guess does not make sense, hence even you don't wanna touch it.

PPS: Given my age, most people who are still entitled to call me 'son' are either all dead or close to dying. So if you are gonna call me 'son', be prepared to be considered an 80% likely match for 'senile old guy who pees into a bag' .

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Or vote for a government that will lower income taxes and allow pipelines. Which is what i did :)

PS: Given my age, most people who are still entitled to call me 'son' are either all dead or close to dying. So if you are gonna call me 'son', be prepared to be considered a 80% likely match for 'senile old guy who pees into a bag' .

Oh great. Another neocon q-tip... AWESOME! YOU GUYS ARE FUN!

(Insert loud fart noise)

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Oh great. Another neocon q-tip... AWESOME! YOU GUYS ARE FUN!

(Insert loud fart noise)

I vote for a government that accomodates my priorities. I couldn't care less if it was the love-child of Trudeau and Trump. My voting has no loyalty - only those who represent ME. Hence i have voted every party in BC's election at some point or another.. 

But hey, you can keep paying your beauty tax as much as you wish. I don't. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

I vote for a government that accomodates my priorities. I couldn't care less if it was the love-child of Trudeau and Trump. My voting has no loyalty - only those who represent ME. Hence i have voted every party in BC's election at some point or another.. 

But hey, you can keep paying your beauty tax as much as you wish. I don't. 

Yes you do. If you still live in BC, you pay that "beauty tax".

You pay it for all the retired Albertans moving out here to enjoy the scenery, the weather.... and to bitch about taxes.

Way to go. 

(Applause)

Just now, luckylager said:

Yes you do. If you still live in BC, you pay that "beauty tax".

Sure. And i am gonna vote for people who will repeal this. Simple. 

You pay it for all the retired Albertans moving out here to enjoy the scenery, the weather.... and to bitch about taxes.

Way to go. 

(Applause)

Thanks for confirming its a dumb tax for dumb reasons. 

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

The tuition hike was mostly aim towards students from the middle class.  

The students protested about how it will impact the "disadvantaged", even though there are tons of resources for people from lower income and I believe there was to be even more funding towards that group overall.

Long story short.... rich, snobby university students were offended that they may need to downsize their Venti frap to a Grande from Starbucks like once per week.  

In Canada sadly education is used as way for rich elite Canadians to control the top paying careers for their own kids.

Sad what has happened to our once noble country. Cultural hegemony in action......

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

In Canada sadly education is used as way for rich elite Canadians to control the top paying careers for their own kids.

Sad what has happened to our once noble country. Cultural hegemony in action......

Furthermore, Canadian Universities have absolutely zero interest in ensuring they're charging students for a useful education.

There is no communication between government, industry and universities to plan and direct students into useful career paths. It's all about butts in seats. Relevance is a non issue.

Furthermore, Canadian Universities have absolutely zero interest in ensuring they're charging students for a useful education.

There is no communication between government, industry and universities to plan and direct students into useful career paths. It's all about butts in seats. Relevance is a non issue.

the problem with useful and useless is far more so relevant depending on the field in question- outside of STEM field, its pretty useless in most cases. A son of a friend has 75K debt with a Bachelors in Philosophy. And i am like ' wtf are you gonna do with this ? this is saddled with debt for no good reason, you can read Neitzche or Kant from library all you wish'.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

100 % correct.

With the current massive teacher shortage in BC....   SFU just made changes to their teaching program to extend it from 12 months.... to now 18 months....

Can you say . $$$$$$ .   Yet the BC government lets universities get away with this crap...

Imagine now it takes .  4-5 years to do your BA ... then you have to get into a PDP teaching program.  Another 18 months.....

Then you can teach kindergarten / gr. 1 etc.....        You do the math....   Loss of income for 6-7 yrs...  probably 100,000 in university costs....  to get a job that pays you 1400.00 every 2 weeks..       You would cry if it wasn't this funny.........    

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 % correct.

With the current massive teacher shortage in BC....   SFU just made changes to their teaching program to extend it from 12 months.... to now 18 months....

Can you say . $$$$$$ .   Yet the BC government lets universities get away with this crap...

Imagine now it takes .  4-5 years to do your BA ... then you have to get into a PDP teaching program.  Another 18 months.....

Then you can teach kindergarten / gr. 1 etc.....        You do the math....   Loss of income for 6-7 yrs...  probably 100,000 in university costs....  to get a job that pays you 1400.00 every 2 weeks..       You would cry if it wasn't this funny.........    

I got news for you. If you are trying to be a high-school teacher anywhere on the planet that is not a private school, you are in the wrong business if you are expecting to have any significant disposable income. 

If you wanna make money, STEM or trades are the only way or at worst, a BBA if you have amazing networking skills.

Archived