The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

1 hour ago, Screw said:

Virtanen and Clitterbuck are not similar players to Ferland.

They sure are.  Play/played a very similar type game.  Ferland is the only one of the three that played regular time with ppg or near ppg players and his point totals show it.  Where as Virtanen/Clutterbuck both play/played in the bottom 3.  Their point totals at their respective and comparable ages show that very clearly.  Had Clutterbuck played with Tavares in NYI or a line with Neidereitter and Granlund while in Minni his point totals would have looked very different to within 10-20 points which puts him quite comparably with Ferland especially with his very specific role.  

Virtanen at 22 is currently and seamlessly surpassing ferlands point totals at the sdame age with his deployment while playing less of a role with lesser linemates.

The offers people are putting out there for this guy are absolutely Chia-Esque in their foolishness.

1 minute ago, tas said:

but that's not what you said. you said a first rounder, a versatile, workhorse, middle six, right shot center, plus a versatile, responsible bottom six winger that can fill in at center when necessary. 

Let me break it down

Sutter - 17 games; 4 points; -10; 4,750,000 salary

Granlund - 47 games; 17 points; -6; 1,475,000 salary; 2019 RFA

Ferland - 39 games; 25 points; +7; 1,800,000 salary

In order to get rid of Sutter's horrible contract and poor performance, we will need to give up someone. Granlund is good bait, and he is an RFA. I doubt we resign him. We have enough bottom six forwards signed to term and more on the farm. In order to get Ferland to resign and in order for him to be traded here to get resigned, a 2020 first rounder is fair. With this team I had posted, chances are we make the playoffs and the pick will be a later first rounder. Then, when Juolevi is ready, we regain the first rounder with a Tanev trade.

15 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

This is the kind of player who should have gotten Eriksson's contract.

Just like Lucic, Ladd, Neal, etc. Eriksson looked like a reasonable signing at the time and he lit it up with the Sedins in the World Cup. All those other signings may have looked worth it at the time. Ferland may appear to be worth a big payout, but he could also flop and be another one of these recently signed forwards who just didn't pan out as hoped. Eriksson had a decent season just before UFA and so is Ferland, so have to be weary of that and a lot of people seem to simply remember the one playoff series against us where he was a force, but ignore his other playoff experience. Ferland seems intriguing, but even at this point I wouldn't give him a 6x6.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They sure are.  Play/played a very similar type game.  Ferland is the only one of the three that played regular time with ppg or near ppg players and his point totals show it.  Where as Virtanen/Clutterbuck both play/played in the bottom 3.  Their point totals at their respective and comparable ages show that very clearly.  Had Clutterbuck played with Tavares in NYI or a line with Neidereitter and Granlund while in Minni his point totals would have looked very different to within 10-20 points which puts him quite comparably with Ferland especially with his very specific role.  

Virtanen at 22 is currently and seamlessly surpassing ferlands point totals at the sdame age with his deployment while playing less of a role with lesser linemates.

The offers people are putting out there for this guy are absolutely Chia-Esque in their foolishness.

JV brings very little of what Ferland offers. If you compare what Beiksa used to bring that would be.much closer.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Just like Lucic, Ladd, Neal, etc. Eriksson looked like a reasonable signing at the time and he lit it up with the Sedins in the World Cup. All those other signings may have looked worth it at the time. Ferland may appear to be worth a big payout, but he could also flop and be another one of these recently signed forwards who just didn't pan out as hoped. Eriksson had a decent season just before UFA and so is Ferland, so have to be weary of that and a lot of people seem to simply remember the one playoff series against us where he was a force, but ignore his other playoff experience. Ferland seems intriguing, but even at this point I wouldn't give him a 6x6.

One thing we can all agree on is Ferland bleeds hockey. He has heart, he is big, he is fast, he is tough and he can put up points. Other teams will think twice about targeting Pettersson with Ferland on the ice. And that, in many regards, is worth its weight in gold. We absolutely need a guy like Ferland. He is as hard as stone and just as hard to injure. Plus, he has continuously improved in all aspects of his game and is just hitting his prime. I would go to 5.5 per year for what he brings, but that would have to be for long term and no trade clauses. One difference between Ferland and the other UFAs you mentioned is Ferland is pretty fast and can keep up in todays hockey.

31 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Let me break it down

Sutter - 17 games; 4 points; -10; 4,750,000 salary

Granlund - 47 games; 17 points; -6; 1,475,000 salary; 2019 RFA

Ferland - 39 games; 25 points; +7; 1,800,000 salary

In order to get rid of Sutter's horrible contract and poor performance, we will need to give up someone. Granlund is good bait, and he is an RFA. I doubt we resign him. We have enough bottom six forwards signed to term and more on the farm. In order to get Ferland to resign and in order for him to be traded here to get resigned, a 2020 first rounder is fair. With this team I had posted, chances are we make the playoffs and the pick will be a later first rounder. Then, when Juolevi is ready, we regain the first rounder with a Tanev trade.

The Canes don't need or want Sutter though, nor Granlund. One thing people need to remember as well is that Ferland played several games on the 3rd line when he returned from his concussion. He's not been with Seabass and Turbo all season long.

1 minute ago, Captain Azzy said:

The Canes don't need or want Sutter though, nor Granlund. One thing people need to remember as well is that Ferland played several games on the 3rd line when he returned from his concussion. He's not been with Seabass and Turbo all season long.

We don't really know what the canes want, so to say they don't want Sutter or Granlund or a first rounder is just conjecture.

11 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I doubt anybody wants Sutter, and that's why we would have to give up something in order to get rid of him.

6 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

He would be real gud with extension. But not as rental.

Be nice to talk to him before UFAy..  if you could get the commitment, he would be a nice addition to run with for the rest of this season .

I would think that Carolina will know soon enough if he will stay or not.. 

By the looks of his stats this season, this power forward is just coming into his prime, and if a rumoured “off ice” issue has been over come,  this young man will become the beast he was meant to be.

good luck MF,.  I really wouldnt enjoy watching you play in any other jersey colours than blue green and white.

10 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

We don't really know what the canes want, so to say they don't want Sutter or Granlund or a first rounder is just conjecture.

This is all conjecture.... A whole, hole load of it.  Maybe... beyond Vintage, Sid and..... Sometimes Rob, I think the rest of us are all about conjecture lol! Ain't it fun though!  

16 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

I have watched every Canes game this season, and write for a Canes site at least once a day. You can take it from me that the Canes don't want the Canucks' trash. They have enough of their own.

The 1st rounder is different, but they'll be looking for a 2019 pick not a 2020 one.

I wonder if Tyler Madden is a piece that might interest Carolina? A US born player and someone who's stock has risen exponentially after lighting it up at the world juniors.

Sure, you hate to have to cough up a prospect of Madden's quality for a 26 year old player on an expiring contract, but you have to give a little to get a little.

Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I have watched every Canes game this season, and write for a Canes site at least once a day. You can take it from me that the Canes don't want the Canucks' trash. They have enough of their own.

The 1st rounder is different, but they'll be looking for a 2019 pick not a 2020 one.

Granlund isn't trash. He is a good, serviceable, cheap 200 ft player that can play both wings. I still feel a first rounder and Granlund would be good to get rid of Sutter. The 2019 first rounder would be tough though. We will be picking in the top 10 most likely and there are a lot of good player available. If its a 2019 first rounder, I would pass.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

@48MPHSlapShot just mentioned T Madden,.  How about Dahlen and Madden for a Re-signed Ferland?

Sounds like the Canes need to re-build @Captain Azzy ?

I'd be skeptical to give up Dahlen. Even with Ferlund, we'd still be pretty weak on the left side, and Dahlen is someone I could see eventually slotting in beside Horvat.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Either Goldobin or Granlund (depending on whether they'd be more interested in a player with more durability or a player with a higher offensive ceiling), our 2nd and Madden.

edit: And yes, I am aware that stating we're weak on the left side while also offering up Goldobin may be a bit hypocritical, but I really don't see Goldobin here in the long term.

Archived