The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

6 hours ago, khay said:

What? Horvat money? And 6 years?

I would not pay more than 4 for Ferland. And no more than 4 years. 

A 26-year-old physical player, whose career best is 21 goals. If he achieved that at age 21 or 22, sure, Horvat money. 

Being a physical player that he is, I think he can play at the current level for at most 4 years. 

He's on pace for a second straight season of forty plus points on a team that doesn't have a premier center of Petey's talent.

I believe Petey can get him over fifty which, by the numbers, would put him pretty close to Horvat.

Ferland brings the mean to a line that desperately needs it.

Yes, I absolutely believe he's worth 5.5.

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I can see baseecheese as the main piece in a Ferland deal. 

CAR

Baercheese

+ Small add

VAN

Ferland

I am guessing we should add. What do you guys think would be fair value between car/van in a baercheese deal?

Only reason I'd be hesitant is that we don't have a ready replacement for him...yet. I guess that depends on how much faith Benning & co have that someone (Goldobin, Dahlen, Leivo...?) can at least largely replace Baer's production sooner than later.

Also, because Ferland is an expiring UFA, I don't think we need to add. In fact if we're sending Baer, I'd want a signed extension. If we have that then maybe a small add. 

23 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

they want a 1st + for him

He's a rare breed in the game today

Side note: went school with him hes a amazing guy and definatly tough as nails

I'd be prepared to give that for him... This is exactly what we need in the top 6...a tough cookie, that can put up numbers as well...

1st + Goldy +???(small add) Provided he'll sign up for an extension...

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'd be prepared to give that for him... This is exactly what we need in the top 6...a tough cookie, that can put up numbers as well...

1st + Goldy +???(small add) Provided he'll sign up for an extension...

2020 1st...maybe (even then I'd be hesitant). 2019, not a chance.

2nd rounder + prospect/Goldy etc I'd be a LOT more comfortable with.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

2020 1st...maybe (even then I'd be hesitant). 2019, not a chance.

2nd rounder + prospect/Goldy etc I'd be a LOT more comfortable with.

2020 1st I think would be ok... 

Doubtful a 2nd + prospect/Goldy would do the trick...

The pick is only added if he re-signs here

If we get Ferland in the top 6, all we need is a top UFA Dman, and we are ready to roll...

Ferland EP Brock

Baertschi Bo Sutter/Eriksson

Roussel Gaudette/Sutter Jake

Motte Biegle McEwan????

Edler Tanev/UFA D

Hutton  UFA D/ Stecher

Hughes/Juolevi  Guddy

A trade of either Sutter/Eriksson/Tanev may be needed to make the numbers fit?

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

He's on pace for a second straight season of forty plus points on a team that doesn't have a premier center of Petey's talent.

I believe Petey can get him over fifty which, by the numbers, would put him pretty close to Horvat.

Thanks for explaining your viewpoint. But I still disagree.

Aho is not at EP's level but he is a premier talent and he has 21 goals and 51 points in 46 games to back it up.

Hurricanes are much better in terms of being able to move the puck from the back end. 

When Horvat got that contract, he put up 20 goals and 52 points as a centerman at age 22. A lot of his salary was justified by his potential.

Ferland at 26 is a 40-50 point scoring winger (which is nothing to scoff at), who plays a rugged style and may look good playing alongside EP. But I think 5.5 is an overpayment. I wouldn't mind such overpayment it if it were for a short term contract like 2 years. But obviously, a player at his age is going to be looking for term, in which case, I wouldn't go beyond 4 mil.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I'd rather Petey help players we already got. Leave Ferland for a contender rental.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, WalkWithElias40 said:

I wouldnt mind Ferland, He would be that "tough guy" we need to protect our young guns..

Not really. He  doesn't fight much.  But he can play a physical game when he wants to.  Lacks consistency, that's his biggest issue.  

Ferland is not getting more than 5.1 mill Wilson makes. Wilson is younger, meaner tougher, and better.

Despite his tough guy reputation on CDC,  he's not much of a fighter.  And he's inconsistent. 

JB should try to sign as UFA not worth the assets it will cost for trade.

If Carolina manages to extract a 1st out of a team looking to add Ferland, that will be a highly competitive team imo - in other words, a late 1st, likely in the 20-30 range (with odds in the 25-30%ish range of becoming an NHLer).

I don't think that asking price (if true) is one that will work for a team like Vancouver - they might get the equivalent of a 1st ie Goldobin in a deal - but a high first in this draft is not Benning's style to part with.

Carolina's going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat here, because a late 1st and an 'asset' for Elias Lindholm is an epic fail if they don't turn that late pick into an outlier.

And that said, I don't think I'd give Ferland 6x6 in free agency, let alone give up assets to then take on those terms.  He's not a rental for us, so the terms dictate the level of interest.  Other teams may be interested in renting him for a run, but that doesn't bode well for Carolina getting the kind of return that would justify letting go of Lindholm.  Not gonna mince words - it looks good on that ownership group.

42 minutes ago, khay said:

Thanks for explaining your viewpoint. But I still disagree.

Aho is not at EP's level but he is a premier talent and he has 21 goals and 51 points in 46 games to back it up.

Hurricanes are much better in terms of being able to move the puck from the back end. 

When Horvat got that contract, he put up 20 goals and 52 points as a centerman at age 22. A lot of his salary was justified by his potential.

Ferland at 26 is a 40-50 point scoring winger (which is nothing to scoff at), who plays a rugged style and may look good playing alongside EP. But I think 5.5 is an overpayment. I wouldn't mind such overpayment it if it were for a short term contract like 2 years. But obviously, a player at his age is going to be looking for term, in which case, I wouldn't go beyond 4 mil.

Fair enough.

But yes, we must agree to disagree.

I would be extremely happy to be wrong if we could sign him for 4 to 4.5 mil.

Archived