The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

At the time these guys were considered stop gaps till the kids arrived. It's a good sign that they're gone now. It means our kids are starting to arrive. Benning said he would move vets to make room for youth that deserved it, and here we are. Gagne on the marlies, and all the rest gone. Will be nice to see some young blood on is team again!

Exactly.  Kids are here, plugs did their job, plugs move on.  And we save 1/2 of his remaining salary this year along with the pick.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah losing Schaller would be a shame.:P

I think they want to give him a few more chances to show that he can replicate what he did in Boston.   At least they got ahl help and a pick for mdz.  Good move 

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think they want to give him a few more chances to show that he can replicate what he did in Boston.   At least they got ahl help and a pick for mdz.  Good move 

Plus got a pick.  Could use it later as part of a package to unload somebody or acquire somebody.  

this is a good chance for mdz.  i like the guy.  worked hard.  talented.  and an honest physical player.  adjusted like a pro to being a #6/7 guy. 

like sbisa, he just tended to make costly decisions in the moment.  i can see him finding his game with less fan attention on his mistakes in anaheim.

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Is Luke Schenn really that bad? Can't even get a roster spot over  Biega??

I kinda wanna see both Schenn and Pyatt play for us this season...

you have to think it was just a contract anaheim wanted taken back rather than any wish for the canucks to be 5 deep in rhd, but maybe they have a plan to move someone.

he's going to make it interesting in utica i think.

Going over the obvious points:

1.) Opens a spot for Pettersson

2.) Gain some additional cap space which could be useful at the TDL.

3.) 7th round pick - not huge but it's an add

4.) Schenn is depth for Utica more than anything, and a "safe" call up in case of injury/emergency, no?

5.) A positive for team morale, and how the Canucks are seen as a place for UFAs to come and play.

Outside of wishing/hoping that Del Zotto could have returned more than a 7th, this small trade is a solid win.

regards,  G.

Archived