The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

19 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

Character win but I don't like their Chip and Chase approach. It's responsible but way less entertaining. It's as though a one goal lead turns the Nucks into old Jersey.

Crazy how Buffalo can tic tac toe the puck. they have heaps of skill and will be a force soon like the Nucks but with less work boots.

But please don't switch to buyers...keep stocking the cupboards for continued strength. Next year would be OK if the team gels and fends off injuries.

They have to chip and chase without our main play driver in Petey out. It changes the whole team dynamic when you have Pettersson being puck carrier through mid ice...he makes moves that just back off the defense creating so much more room for every one else on the ice.  Also we're pretty solid fore checking team. It's caused multiple goals the past few games and was a huge part of our early success. 

It also pays off late when D men have been hit all game (and last night Jake laid a few on the FC) and forces turnovers as the D feel rushed. 

I love watching some of the blazing rushes we've had this year but have to use our strengths. 

EDIT: Also Petey's underrated defensive awareness is a cause of a lot of the fast breakouts..he makes plays and what is special is he knows how to read the break out as good as anyone in the league. 

19 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I don't like to pick on my own guys, but that combine picture of him is gold.  :lol:

It almost makes him more likeable.

He's trying haf, but with a slight self-depracating smirk sneaking through...

Anyhow, he's not the first guy that couldn't do a chinup....pretty sure that was true of 18 yr old as well?

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It almost makes him more likeable.

He's trying haf, but with a slight self-depracating smirk sneaking through...

Anyhow, he's not the first guy that couldn't do a chinup....pretty sure that was true of 18 yr old as well?

Yep.  Benny boy was the first ever to put up a goose egg I believe.

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not necessarily.   McCann does have a few question marks - one might be his attitude and mental maturity, another may be his somewhat undersized stature for a center and his loss of quickness/illusiveness when he tried to bulk up a bit, and not a great faceoff guy early in his career (may come with time or may be a winger conversion candidate) - but simply because a player is dealt does not mean the team dealing that player necessarily sees some kind of fundamental fault in their potential or game.  

Sometimes the opposition simply wants or values that player, or you deal them from a position of strength/relative depth in order to rebalance your team. 

I think it's pretty clear that a big shutdown RHD is a rarer asset than a smallish tweener skilled center....and that this team was and still is least deep at the RHD position in their prospect pool.

Agree to a point but they didn’t even give him a chance. Kassian even got a chance to sort his stuff out.

The management team is proven to be very patient (which IMO is a very good thing) with players they’ve drafted. 

Something about McCann tells me they weren’t afraid to eat their young when they spotted whatever weakness it is they saw. 

Its a good trait to have in the management team and I’m not knocking on McCann. I probably couldn’t even accept one of the guys hot passes. He has all my respect getting to the nhl and being a serviceable player. Just like you said before....if you trade a forward for a defenseman you have to get something special in return. 

2 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Agree to a point but they didn’t even give him a chance. Kassian even got a chance to sort his stuff out.

The management team is proven to be very patient (which IMO is a very good thing) with players they’ve drafted. 

Something about McCann tells me they weren’t afraid to eat their young when they spotted whatever weakness it is they saw. 

Its a good trait to have in the management team and I’m not knocking on McCann. I probably couldn’t even accept one of the guys hot passes. He has all my respect getting to the nhl and being a serviceable player. Just like you said before....if you trade a forward for a defenseman you have to get something special in return. 

I don't entirely disagree - when I watched McCann as a young player my impression was a young-minded guy in somewhat of a 'bubble' - but they did give him 69 games in his rookie season and dealt him that summer.   I think he got a chance, it's simply that sometimes you deal a player 'of value' regardless.   But I do think there's something 'missing' there, that he may or may not grow into.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Man it's been a bumpy ride this season... Roller coaster of emotions as a fan. 

All that matters now is that we are on the right track. 

Would love to see some playoff hockey this year. We can definitely go on a Cinderella cup run; if we can stay healthy and somehow add another gem, maybe Hughes joins for playoffs? Or solid trade? Sedins come out of retirement? 

Imagine this forward group heading into the playoffs... 

Sven Petey Beagle/Rouss 

Daniel Henrik Brock 

Granlund Bo beagle/Rouss (checking line) 

Sutter centers 4th line. 

Cup or what? Also sedins haven't been banged up for a full 82 game season... They'll be fresh for the playoffs. Less clutching and hooking this year too... 

William Nylander misses two months and comes back and plays like crap for toronto because he missed so much time. And you think the Sedins could just step in and play at a high level even though their skating is too slow for the new NHL and they miss months and months? 

I don't think so.  And I love the Sedins.

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't entirely disagree - when I watched McCann as a young player my impression was a young-minded guy in somewhat of a 'bubble' - but they did give him 69 games in his rookie season and dealt him that summer.   I think he got a chance, it's simply that sometimes you deal a player 'of value' regardless.   But I do think there's something 'missing' there, that he may or may not grow into.

Good chat fella.

No doubt you have to offer something of value to get something of value. The boys did well on that trade. Time may say otherwise but it’s feeling like a Baer trade at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Somewhere in the 6.5-7.5 range on the open market. With what he brings and a career year on a terrible team maybe even 8. He is exactly what any team needs. Hell of a 6th round pick there... 

Him and Ferlend are the two wingers I think we should target if they hit July 1st.  Lots of teams will be in on both I expect.  Just looked up Ferland on the ol hockeydb and didn't realize he is from my Dad's hometown..Swan River Manitoba!  Used to visit there every summer during the rodeo (dad was a carny at the time...) and this one ukranian stand run by the local old women had the best perogies ever.....

Ferlund will be cheaper by a few million but might be the perfect LW to add to Petey and Boeser....he def would make room for them and be a perfect 'protector'.  Stone would bolster our 2nd line and give us a hell of a 1-2 punch paired with Bo.  You can slot in whomever on the top 2 with a Petey/Boeser and Bo/Stone set pairings.  

Really eh ur Ukrainian blood line...

My best friend growing up his dad is Ukrainian as well. From Saskatchewan. Saskatoon area. 

travel lots for work. Visited every little town in Canada between here and Montreal. All the small towns. Broke down in Kenora/dryden once. Prongers home town .  He was there that summer and got thrown out of town pub for acting tough.... anyways on subject 

On stone ppl on here also think 8 mill range but im thinking 7 mill max. Thx for ur input i guess I'm a bit off. He could get to 8 mill. 

I was thinking under 7 mill. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

William Nylander misses two months and comes back and plays like crap for toronto because he missed so much time. And you think the Sedins could just step in and play at a high level even though their skating is too slow for the new NHL and they miss months and months? 

The Sedins were fitness machines.....some reason I doubt Nylander is.  But I don't think they should return by any means :p

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Really eh ur Ukrainian blood line...

My best friend growing up his dad is Ukrainian as well. From Saskatchewan. Saskatoon area. 

travel lots for work. Visited every little town in Canada between here and Montreal. All the small towns. Broke down in Kenora/dryden once. Prongers home town .  He was there that summer and got thrown out of town pub for acting tough.... anyways on subject 

On stone ppl on here also think 8 mill range but im thinking 7 mill max. Thx for ur input i guess I'm a bit off. He could get to 8 mill. 

I was thinking under 7 mill. 

I'm not Ukrainian ....but I love me some Ukrainian and Polish food ;) 
Irish, English, Belgian, French and First Nations (grandma was 100% Cree).   So typical Canadian mutt. 

I think 8 is the max ... 6.5 over 7 seems about right. 

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The Sedins are in far better shape than Nylander -_-

15 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I'm not Ukrainian ....but I love me some Ukrainian and Polish food ;) 
Irish, English, Belgian, French and First Nations (grandma was 100% Cree).   So typical Canadian mutt. 

I think 8 is the max ... 6.5 over 7 seems about right. 

Duchene is discussing 8-9M with Ottawa according to LeBrun/McKenzie.  Stone is going to get more than that.  

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Duchene is discussing 8-9M with Ottawa according to LeBrun/McKenzie.  Stone is going to get more than that.  

Ottawa over paying to keep someone they traded a boatload for. Duchene is worth is not worth that. 

12 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Does anyone else think that having a bit of time to practice is helping certain guys play better? The first few months of the season was brutal.

Agreed looking back at the 10 gabe skid. Boys were spent. Travel sked was nuts. Players and coaching staff probably loving space between games and practise time. 

25 minutes ago, mll said:

PL on 1040

and

CJ on 650 

Both said these 3 will get 

Duchene 8.5-9.5

Stone 9.5-10.5

Ferland  5-5.5

I think all 3 are nuts 

Lets just draft and trade our assets

Elder Tanev Sutter ETC

Trade them at rite time for youth and pics

Resign Edler July 1st if want

BUT GET ASSETS FOR HIM BEFORE THE TDL

And build from within 

3 minutes ago, Freaky Freak said:

PL on 1040

and

CJ on 650 

Both said they will get 

Duchene is 8.5-9.5

Stone will be 9.5-10.5

Ferland  5-5.5

I think all 3 are nuts 

Lets just draft and trade our assets (Elder Tanev Sutter ETC) at the rite time for youth and pics 

And build from within 

Who is CJ?

PL is Pierre LeBrun?

Ferland will want at least Niederreiter money.  Niederreiter is 5.25M and is lower in the lineup.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Who is CJ?

PL is Pierre LeBrun?

Ferland will want at least Niederreiter money.  Niederreiter is 5.25M and is lower in the lineup.

CJ - Chris Johnston

&

Correct on Pierre LeBrun 

I think all three #s are crazy

But they both said that will be the minimum on the market

Bo contract looks great now eh 

PS

Is MLL for Major Lacrosse League ??

Signing Stone is not a good idea... way too much money at $9 million... we'd put ourselves in the same boat as Edmonton and Toronto... Up against the CAP.

What we need to do is get Tryamkin back from Russia and find lower price forward who will fit in the 7/8/9 forward slot... someone who has good size and speed and physicality... a real banger, not a high scorer... someone who can chip in 15 goals and bring grit to the team.

#1 concern has to be defense...  getting Hughes/Juolevi development moving and bringing Tryamkin back should solve that.  The first two are happening, Benning has to get the third element, (Big T) in place.  He should be willing to buy out the KHL contract.

The team already has enough scoring in my opinion... and the top six is fine with Horvat/Baertschi/Boeser/Pettersson/Virtanen/Gaudette.

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Very smart.

He's also young small and a rookie when he comes here.. 

Reason DET didn't pick him was Jeff Blashill thought it would be difficult to translate his game to NHL. He coached him at worlds and Hughes played in wings backyard. 

I would think Blashill did not expect Zadina to be there at 6 and took the BPA on his list.  Had Zona not gone Hayden Detriot would very likely picked Hughes as prognosticators across the NHL predicted.  Zona did us a huge favor IMO.  

Archived