The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Very smart.

He's also young small and a rookie when he comes here.. 

Reason DET didn't pick him was Jeff Blashill thought it would be difficult to translate his game to NHL. He coached him at worlds and Hughes played in wings backyard. 

People also did not pick Pettersson because he was a skinny kid.

Would Blashill have passed on Patrick Kane?

Guys like Spurgeon have paved a plating style which show how agility, stickwork and position, but primarily getting pucks, by bouncing off pressure and maintaining puck control lead to zone exits. All by a small guy who lugs top pairing minutes year in, year out. And Spurgeon DOES not have Hughes offensive upside. Hughes used such positioning at the Worlds, against pros', has always done it in college. And in the USNTDP.  Blashill missed out I think.

15 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Guys like Spurgeon have paved a plating style which show how agility, stickwork and position, but primarily getting pucks, by bouncing off pressure and maintaining puck control lead to zone exits. All by a small guy who lugs top pairing minutes year in, year out. And Spurgeon DOES not have Hughes offensive upside. Hughes used such positioning at the Worlds, against pros', has always done it in college. And in the USNTDP.  Blashill missed out I think.

I hope he's another EP. 

But what are the chances.

Hope he is. It would please me very much. 

27 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Blashill was just trying to justify not picking a player that their organization desperately needs. No doubt he's worried he just passed on a stud.

He went with the BPA available however, which by all rankings was Zadina. Unfortunately for the Wings it means another draft without that puck moving D-man they desperately need.

Man it's been a bumpy ride this season... Roller coaster of emotions as a fan. 

All that matters now is that we are on the right track. 

Would love to see some playoff hockey this year. We can definitely go on a Cinderella cup run; if we can stay healthy and somehow add another gem, maybe Hughes joins for playoffs? Or solid trade? Sedins come out of retirement? 

Imagine this forward group heading into the playoffs... 

Sven Petey Beagle/Rouss 

Daniel Henrik Brock 

Granlund Bo beagle/Rouss (checking line) 

Sutter centers 4th line. 

Cup or what? Also sedins haven't been banged up for a full 82 game season... They'll be fresh for the playoffs. Less clutching and hooking this year too... 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd do the Gud deal again in a heartbeat.  Lots of noobs around here that continue to pine over that deal, but I think they need to get real.   First, the kind of analyticz that get deployed at Gudbranson are laughable (slanted b.s. wadr) - and second Jared McCann doesn't move the needle a whiff where this team is concerned.

McCann's 7 goals are less than shutdown whipping boy winger Granlund has...less than LE, Virtuzzi, and one more than Tyler Motte who also plays strict shutdown.   Not one of those guys has over 50% ozone starts (not even close) whereas McCann is at 52.2%.  Same with respect to points - he can't compete with the top 6 here, and can't really compete with the middle six either.   The Canucks have guys like Gaudette not yet on the roster that make McCann expendable imo.  Gudbranson is in his first real stint of healthy here and imo is a player this team needs FAR more than Jared McCann.

So, if it's possible to move another McCann to add a player that this team needs = it's a relative no-brainer imo

Have to wonder if Benning was doing some polishing with his comments at the time of the trade, when he said McCann would be a top-6 player.  Perhaps didnt want to make it look too lopsided and embarrass the Cats.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Have to wonder if Benning was doing some polishing with his comments at the time of the trade, when he said McCann would be a top-6 player.  Perhaps didnt want to make it look too lopsided and embarrass the Cats.

Yeah - you don't badmouth the player you just dealt - it's an insult to the team that acquired him and the optics are bad.  McCann may become a top 6 forward - and still you have to look at all the variables possible to figure that player's value vs a defenseman, which is an imprecise 'analyticz' to say the least, but one clue as to how this plays out in the real world NHL marketplace is to look at the kind of forward/defenseman deals that take place, and it becomes fairly clear that the forward better far and away be the better appearing asset, because market value does not reduce it as simply as most people perceive.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Someone saw something in McCann that they didn’t like and it was either JB or he trusted the source and cut ties. 

I dont love EG but I agree that trade was excellent. 

I hope Pouliot got a little confidence last night and can keep it going. If he could make a play like that once a game (doesn’t have to convert every time) that’s another trade JB won hands down. 

8 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Someone saw something in McCann that they didn’t like and it was either JB or he trusted the source and cut ties. 

I hope Pouliot got a little confidence last night and can keep it going. If he could make a play like that once a game (doesn’t have to convert every time) that’s another trade JB won hands down. 

McCann is a good skater, has a great shot, and lots of skill.  But Poulliot had his way with him, and have to wonder what his ceiling is now.  It's starting to look like a middle-six C or winger.

8 hours ago, How swede it is said:

I like the kid but if he keeps giving up 3-4 goals a game ....

I know it's a small sample size, but if you take his career GAA (3.47) and Save Pct. (.889) they would rank 48/50 and 49/50 among league leaders in those departments.

I do believe he has a high ceiling, but let's wait till his numbers reflect it before we call him the next one.

Downer dude... go sit in a corner and think about what you have done.  

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Maybe McEneny gets a look.... or a random placeholder.....The thing is, if they're dealing Edler it's likely at a point where the race isn't going so well and it's not terribly consequential.  There's also the option of taking a placeholder back in a deal like that - a meh depth guy like Morrow or whomever.....  The idea is short term pain for longer term gain - and with Edler wanting to stay for the duration of the trnasition, hoping to win here, getting us an asset like Vesalainen could be in his own interest in the end.... And even in his absence there remains Tanev/Gud to anchor Hutton/Pouliot, so from the deadline on shouldn't be that terribly painful (and if out of the race, might enhance draft position lol)

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Brisbois isn't hurt, he played today. Sautner and Chatfield have both been out for quite awhile. I would like to get a look at both Brisbois and McEneny. 

Brisebois is definitely the best answer to the placeholder question:  I forgot about him and having a look at what he can do in the NHL would not only allow us to deal someone higher on the LD depth chart, but assess where Brisebois himself is at before he becomes waiver eligible. 

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Huh?  There are good players in every draft. In fact, there's less separation between the top tier and those beneath this year, so positioning isn't even as important.

On the the contrary, "Jim Benning and most Canuck fans checking the standings and seeing the Canucks in a playoff spot in late January:"

Benning looking at the standings.....factoring in the losses of Tanev, Edler, Pettersson, Sutter, Beagle, Boeser, Baertschi this year.....half his prospects still not in the NHL.....looking at their drafting over the past five years....and his full complement of picks in the upcoming draft.....

No sweat.  Just keeps his head down and his eyes on the road ahead.

48 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Not necessarily.   McCann does have a few question marks - one might be his attitude and mental maturity, another may be his somewhat undersized stature for a center and his loss of quickness/illusiveness when he tried to bulk up a bit, and not a great faceoff guy early in his career (may come with time or may be a winger conversion candidate) - but simply because a player is dealt does not mean the team dealing that player necessarily sees some kind of fundamental fault in their potential or game.  

Sometimes the opposition simply wants or values that player, or you deal them from a position of strength/relative depth in order to rebalance your team. 

I think it's pretty clear that a big shutdown RHD is a rarer asset than a smallish tweener skilled center....and that this team was and still is least deep at the RHD position in their prospect pool.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Hey @Gnarcore

What do you think Stone gets on his contract as UFA.  

Somewhere in the 6.5-7.5 range on the open market. With what he brings and a career year on a terrible team maybe even 8. He is exactly what any team needs. Hell of a 6th round pick there... 

Him and Ferlend are the two wingers I think we should target if they hit July 1st.  Lots of teams will be in on both I expect.  Just looked up Ferland on the ol hockeydb and didn't realize he is from my Dad's hometown..Swan River Manitoba!  Used to visit there every summer during the rodeo (dad was a carny at the time...) and this one ukranian stand run by the local old women had the best perogies ever.....

Ferlund will be cheaper by a few million but might be the perfect LW to add to Petey and Boeser....he def would make room for them and be a perfect 'protector'.  Stone would bolster our 2nd line and give us a hell of a 1-2 punch paired with Bo.  You can slot in whomever on the top 2 with a Petey/Boeser and Bo/Stone set pairings.  

Archived