The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ppl hate on Pouliot for his defensive mistakes but think Hughes will be a top 4 right away. 

There's going to be a learning curve for Hughes in the NHL.

He won't be a rover like his NCAA coach allows or Green will bench him. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he spends time in Utica next season

You mean like EP40?

2 hours ago, shazzam said:

You mean this? Virtanen tried to kill Skinner with an elbow

Wowza...I didn't see Jake do that when I was watching the game.  Glad he did not connect with the elbow....woulda been gone for a few games  for sure.

Edit: I do love Jake's game though and his feisty attitude!!

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I agree.

Aside from that I would probably make an exception - and be aggressive in pursuit of a player like Boone Jenner, granted that's a weathered idea of mine that was a better idea the past few years whereas at this point he might be approaching untouchable.

Still - the profile of a guy that can play a heavier two-way game - skate, hit, forecheck, with skill, and support EP without the puck - would be one principal type player I'd be looking to add.

That said, Leivo was a helluva bargain option in that sense that even if he doesn't have the upside you ideally want with EP, still improves the team down the lineup.

I think the team is approaching a point of wealth of futures that it can afford to make one mid range exception for the right player and not significantly impact their prospect pool.

If you are getting a player that you plan to be in your future I think it's alright to give up futures.

The Gudbranson trade was like that.  Yeah, it probably hasn't panned out as many would like, but the Canucks gave up futures for someone they expect to be a part of the team for a long time.

Any word on Quinn playing late this season? Or just wait til next season to save a rookie contact year.

this season is what it is, Coach Green is doing a good job. Teams coming together....faster then expected, but the over abundance of crappy teams this season might be the reason of the Canucks making the playoffs.

i guess Canuck have reached go time.... Demko really looks like he’s nhl ready.  EP40 does move mountains, it’ll be interesting seeing EP40 in the playoffs, it would be crazy if he’s got another gear for the playoffs. He was the playoff mvp last year...so he might.

Great "Plummer" like effort for MOST of the game. The best I have seen for a "Petey-less" game so far. Very good games from Demko,Pouliot and Stecher. Going to need a bigger sample size though for a good proper evaluation. Better hustle from Boeser and Bo which was good to see and is what I would like to see from him on a consistant basis if he is going to be our next Captain.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some great points here.

I do disagree about Stech, Bo and Hutty though.  Thing is, stuff happens away from the play that impacts it.  As stated...they were REALLY holding Bo's stick...for prolonged periods that would tie him up.  Then he'd have to work, hard, to get into position.  So people maybe see him coming in behind the play but there was a reason for it.

Stech holds his own just fine and it's never easy to push him off the play.  He digs in, hard.

Motte was amazing. 

Hutty was doing a lot of things right...not sure what you mean by "uneven".   Was out there A LOT (seems like he may have had top minutes?...will check).  Blocking shots, just doing whatever to get it done.

Hutty did indeed do a lot of things well and, as I said above, this game was better than almost any he played last year.   What I also saw that he needs to work on was his chips out were intercepted too many times as he needs to stop using the same angles, his block attempts...he goes down too early and JE almost made him pay twice for that, he at least three times that I am sure of and perhaps more telegraphed his outlet pass so much it was easily picked off....looking off a move or two is a learned skill and one that would enhance his game.

Stecher was overmatched a lot against Buffalo from what I could see.  I fully agree he works hard but I don't agree he held his own.  I would like to see him move his legs more for leverage when in tight.

Bo was a focus and with EP40 out, he no question had them concentrated on him like you pointed out.   I just noticed when he was shown on the bench or in the dot his body language was not that of an energized guy.   Guy is amazing and is also playing with some nicks and such but I think he needs a break and that the ASG timing is perfect for him.   Look for him to come out of the gate after the ASG with another gear - that is my prediction.

Awesome you got to be at the game live.   :)

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well Demko looks like a keeper eh? Hopefully that makes Markstrom more valuable and available in a trade situation. DiPietro broke a shut out record.

That was a stupid thing Jake tried, cowardly and now he will be watched more and maybe given less slack if he ever does hit a player. It is one thing to hit hard and another to throw and elbow at an unsuspecting player, he will be watched as this is getting top billing in some places.

Man Canuck goalies have sure been brilliant this year and the Canucks team shooting percentage just unbelievable 50% for the first period. If it wasn't for all those flip it at the goalie counters the percentage would have been unreal. But that has happened 9 or 10 times this year, they are just manhandled and totally outplayed for 2 periods but have a lead, that's goaltending.

They can do some real damage at the TDL  

Odd comment as most chatter I hear as that this  year's TDL could be a giant nothing burger with little movement whatsoever.   I don't think many teams will do anything or will have any appetite to engage so not sure where all the "damage" you envision is going to happen but I suspect the opposite with perhaps a small deal like the Leivo being the biggest moves made.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If you are getting a player that you plan to be in your future I think it's alright to give up futures.

The Gudbranson trade was like that.  Yeah, it probably hasn't panned out as many would like, but the Canucks gave up futures for someone they expect to be a part of the team for a long time.

I'd do the Gud deal again in a heartbeat.  Lots of noobs around here that continue to pine over that deal, but I think they need to get real.   First, the kind of analyticz that get deployed at Gudbranson are laughable (slanted b.s. wadr) - and second Jared McCann doesn't move the needle a whiff where this team is concerned.

McCann's 7 goals are less than shutdown whipping boy winger Granlund has...less than LE, Virtuzzi, and one more than Tyler Motte who also plays strict shutdown.   Not one of those guys has over 50% ozone starts (not even close) whereas McCann is at 52.2%.  Same with respect to points - he can't compete with the top 6 here, and can't really compete with the middle six either.   The Canucks have guys like Gaudette not yet on the roster that make McCann expendable imo.  Gudbranson is in his first real stint of healthy here and imo is a player this team needs FAR more than Jared McCann.

So, if it's possible to move another McCann to add a player that this team needs = it's a relative no-brainer imo

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'd do the Gud deal again in a heartbeat.  Lots of noobs around here that continue to pine over that deal, but I think they need to get real.   First, the kind of analyticz that get deployed at Gudbranson are laughable (slanted b.s. wadr) - and second Jared McCann doesn't move the needle a whiff where this team is concerned.

McCann's 7 goals are less than shutdown whipping boy winger Granlund has...less than LE, Virtuzzi, and one more than Tyler Motte who also plays strict shutdown.   Not one of those guys has over 50% ozone starts (not even close) whereas McCann is at 52.2%.  Same with respect to points - he can't compete with the top 6 here, and can't really compete with the middle six either.   The Canucks have guys like Gaudette not yet on the roster that make McCann expendable imo.  Gudbranson is in his first real stint of healthy here and imo is a player this team needs FAR more than Jared McCann.

So, if it's possible to move another McCann to add a player that this team needs = it's a relative no-brainer imo

Has there been a game where McCann has stepped on the ice and altered how forwards enter the Panther's zone due to fear? I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was not able to watch game live as it was way too late but a few reflections:

• Buffalo has assembled some nice players - lots of speed - but they are not coached very well
  • Demko is the real deal.   I have more on him on his player thread - I am blown away how mature he looked and his reflexes were off the charts...he just needs to get a bit more positionally solid
  • DP showed a few times why he was the CHL Dman of the year and such a high first round pick - he also showed why he sits games - Canucks could really use a D coach for this kid who has more offensive flair .... or maybe Hughes and OJ coming in over the next while will create that by osmosis
  • Virtanen played a solid game again and no one seems to notice 
  • Edler sure likes to hit past few weeks
  • Stecher is getting physically outmatched more than he was earlier in the season
  • Loui must love having the Nylander contract (and Lucic for that matter) to point to
  • Horvat looks tired but driven - All Star break is perfect timing for him
  • Guddy needs to simplify his game a bit more
  • Tanev does soooo many good things - guy is a beast
  • Motte remains a revelation and not sure why more people are not raving about him
  • Beagle is almost as much a captain right now as Horvat - never seems to not try and do everything at full-speed
  • Hutton had an uneven game but it still would have been better than 90% plus of his games last year

I have right out of training camp, but I think you knew that. If only Stecher was about 4 inches taller, I love his heart, his skillset is better than average, and he doesn't back down from anyone.

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Very smart.

He's also young small and a rookie when he comes here.. 

Reason DET didn't pick him was Jeff Blashill thought it would be difficult to translate his game to NHL. He coached him at worlds and Hughes played in wings backyard. 

He's one of those guys who I think is either going to be a revolutionary player or someone who never clicks fully at the NHL level. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but I'm not saying it to hate. He's absolutely who I wanted at that draft because the upside is absolutely insane. But the risk and adjustment period are more than expected, I believe.

I would happily be wrong though.

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Buffalo reminds me a bit like the recent cOilers. All of this high end talent, and aren't in a playoff spot. They've got speed, lots of it, but something is missing. They're fun to watch though.

Buffalo is in a lot better position than the Oilers... their problems are more about learning to win... Oilers are learning to lose.  ;)

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Odd comment as most chatter I hear as that this  year's TDL could be a giant nothing burger with little movement whatsoever.   I don't think many teams will do anything or will have any appetite to engage so not sure where all the "damage" you envision is going to happen but I suspect the opposite with perhaps a small deal like the Leivo being the biggest moves made.

I agree, I don’t think there will be much on Trade deadline day.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was not able to watch game live as it was way too late but a few reflections:

• Buffalo has assembled some nice players - lots of speed - but they are not coached very well
  • Demko is the real deal.   I have more on him on his player thread - I am blown away how mature he looked and his reflexes were off the charts...he just needs to get a bit more positionally solid
  • DP showed a few times why he was the CHL Dman of the year and such a high first round pick - he also showed why he sits games - Canucks could really use a D coach for this kid who has more offensive flair .... or maybe Hughes and OJ coming in over the next while will create that by osmosis
  • Virtanen played a solid game again and no one seems to notice 
  • Edler sure likes to hit past few weeks
  • Stecher is getting physically outmatched more than he was earlier in the season
  • Loui must love having the Nylander contract (and Lucic for that matter) to point to
  • Horvat looks tired but driven - All Star break is perfect timing for him
  • Guddy needs to simplify his game a bit more
  • Tanev does soooo many good things - guy is a beast
  • Motte remains a revelation and not sure why more people are not raving about him
  • Beagle is almost as much a captain right now as Horvat - never seems to not try and do everything at full-speed
  • Hutton had an uneven game but it still would have been better than 90% plus of his games last year

Not sure thats true, i do think people noticed Jake even outside of his little brush with Skinner :lol: 

Demko did look great last night, those goals against were not garbage. Watching him shut things down in the 3rd was impressive, 16 straight saves. For a 2nd NHL game thats really encouraging.

What I really like about this year is all the character on the team, listening to Demko, Bo, Beagle, EP, Boeser (I'm sure I'm missing people) the quality of professionalism and work ethic is through the roof. 

Archived