The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Markstrom at the Draft

First post here but one that I believe may make sense (perhaps a bit early but can be spelled with a ufa).

Assuming Demko show's he's a potential number 1 goalie for the rest of the year, and again, its premature but say he gets in 10 games and shows well

Markstrom who has shown he is finally becoming  real number 1 and thus will have trade value given an affordable contract and he's only 29

Given a goalie UFA class that includes affordable vets that can tutor Demko like Ryan Miller (would he return for a 2 year deal?), Jimmy Howard, Mike Smith, Brian Elliot, Cam Ward....is it maybe time to capitalize on Marky's stellar play and sell high? He won't be part of the core other than a back up in the next run (assuming Demko is real), and I am not saying we know yet, and this 1/2 season audition may not be enough games to gauge but say he is....

Does moving Marky to a team desperate for a goalie (Philly, Detroit, Arizona) plus maybe our third, or a player like Goldy, get a non top 3 first? Philly has young talent and should be in the playoffs, they are underperforming, Detroit and Az Both need a number 1.

Granted all these teams have lottery picks this year but if they are not top 2-3 maybe they'll move for that upgrade. It leaves us exposed but bring in a vet to tutor TD, split the games, Miller (if he'd be willing to come back) would be perfect for us, his numbers in Anaheim were great before his injury.

Love the way marky is playing, but at 29 he's not part of the long term plan. Perhaps this draft is too early and you wait till the following year, but in terms of asset management and a player that will command a decent price if he continues playing as he is, he's one of our highest value players this year that we 'may' be able to trade and it not hurt us too much (assuming a decent vet ufa signing)....

I hope JB is considering this because it may be a time where we can sell high.

16 minutes ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Keeper controversy?  That will never happen in Vancouver.

Never said its a controversy, I am talking about asset management and selling high when we can. Markstrom will not be part of the next run as the starter, we can all see that, we're 3-4 years from that. If we assume Demko is to be 'the guy' by then, well  you want to sell Marky now, or next year. With the availability of decent vets as ufa's to tutor TD, a smart move would be to take the risk and try to get a first rounder for marky to help fill in some of the holes we still have.

No one suggested Demko has proven he's capable of being the number 1, but if he's expected to be, bring in a vet as the tutor (Miller as I said would be perfect).

Marky might be proving it to Canucks fans, but his value isn't enough to bother trading him. No team is going to give a 1st for him. He's still an unproven commodity and his value only becomes trade worthy next year if he continues his recent play. Not to mention we have zero goalie depth atm. If either Demko or Marky goes down we're basically screwed for a backup. I do think Demko will surpass Marky at some point, but he's not going to give that spot up without a fight and that's the best situation we could hope for.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Marky might be proving it to Canucks fans, but his value isn't enough to bother trading him. No team is going to give a 1st for him. He's still an unproven commodity and his value only becomes trade worthy next year if he continues his recent play. Not to mention we have zero goalie depth atm. If either Demko or Marky goes down we're basically screwed for a backup. I do think Demko will surpass Marky at some point, but he's not going to give that spot up without a fight and that's the best situation we could hope for.

Good points, but i did suggest we sign a decent UFA vet, and we won't have to pay alot for the players I mentioned. I also mentioned we add to get the first, either Goldy, or a third, assuming of course the pick is after the top 2 who seem to be separating themselves in this draft. Picks 3-12 this year are going to be a crap shoot

We are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Dipietro is going to need t stew like Demko did in the AHL for at least a couple of years. Demko is just starting out, and Markstrom is finally starting to repay the patience the fans has put into him all these years. The goaltending position is finally starting to look like it has a future so why mess with it unless you can add better?

1 minute ago, smokes said:

We are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Dipietro is going to need t stew like Demko did in the AHL for at least a couple of years. Demko is just starting out, and Markstrom is finally starting to repay the patience the fans has put into him all these years. The goaltending position is finally starting to look like it has a future so why mess with it unless you can add better?

Agree with your logic, but my point is predicated on the fact the rebuild is not done. While we may be in a playoff position, it really only is because the west is weak this year. Generally .500 doesn't get you in a playoff spot, so JB has to realize he must stay the course and not be fooled by an off year in the west. As such, the question the team must ask is, who is integral to the next core and run, Marky is not because he won't be the starter then. Now it may be premature to say TD will be, and I stated as such, but Marky's value will be high at the draft if he finishes this year just as strong. We need to consider this imho.

7 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Good points, but i did suggest we sign a decent UFA vet, and we won't have to pay alot for the players I mentioned. I also mentioned we add to get the first, either Goldy, or a third, assuming of course the pick is after the top 2 who seem to be separating themselves in this draft. Picks 3-12 this year are going to be a crap shoot

I'd rather have the 2 that we have battling it out for the #1. The team needs to attempt to be a contender during Pettersson's RFA years if possible. Maybe you're selling high on Marky or maybe he has turned the corner as a goalie and you're giving up on a potential playoff winning goalie. The risk is to great to trade him for a lottery ticket.

2 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Agree with your logic, but my point is predicated on the fact the rebuild is not done. While we may be in a playoff position, it really only is because the west is weak this year. Generally .500 doesn't get you in a playoff spot, so JB has to realize he must stay the course and not be fooled by an off year in the west. As such, the question the team must ask is, who is integral to the next core and run, Marky is not because he won't be the starter then. Now it may be premature to say TD will be, and I stated as such, but Marky's value will be high at the draft if he finishes this year just as strong. We need to consider this imho.

I just don't want to put Demko in the position if being the number one goaltender in his first full year in the NHL. You just don't know what you are going to get with goalies until at least a few seasons in. Goalies tend to need to sit on the bench and marinate for a little before taking on the number one spot. I would fear it would hinder Demko's developement rather than improve it. Ironically, the perfect example is Markstrom himself when Florida made him number one at a young age. If Benning can get a suitable replacement for Markstrom, OK as long as Demko is not thrown to the wolves so early.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

I just don't want to put Demko in the position if being the number one goaltender in his first full year in the NHL. You just don't know what you are going to get with goalies until at least a few seasons in. Goalies tend to need to sit on the bench and marinate for a little before taking on the number one spot. I would fear it would hinder Demko's developement rather than improve it. Ironically, the perfect example is Markstrom himself when Florida made him number one at a young age. If Benning can get a suitable replacement for Markstrom, OK as long as Demko is not thrown to the wolves so early.

What if Miller was willing to come back for 2 years? Or signing Mike Smith, I think you're ignoring that. I never said Demko #1, I said Demko 1b. 42/42 split with a good vet to tutor him. My guess is he'd learn alot more splitting games with Miller and learning from him vs 25 games behind Marky.

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

What kind of GM trades away their starter and relies on an unproven rookie? 

Unless you are planning to trash the next 3 seasons? 

Nice dream that Markstorm will get you a 1st round pick, let alone a top 3 pick lol. 

re read my post, it seems you missed alot my facts based on your response

8 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

What if Miller was willing to come back for 2 years? Or signing Mike Smith, I think you're ignoring that. I never said Demko #1, I said Demko 1b. 42/42 split with a good vet to tutor him. My guess is he'd learn alot more splitting games with Miller and learning from him vs 25 games behind Marky.

First, they are not upgrades also Miller chose to sign elsewhere than Vancouver so no, don't want him. Mike Smith hasn't had much team success in his career so no. If you want to replace Marky, you are going to have to go through the trade route because if you don't try to get better in that position, it will send mixed messages to the rest of the team and right now with the core that we have, I don't think that would be a good thing to do. And for those goalies you would have to give more than wohat you would have gotten for Marky in the first place.

I wouldn't be against the idea, but the odds of Demko being given starter time next year, even if he's great this year in 10 or so games is almost zero. At best, he'll split games evenly next year with our other 'tender.

Everyone saw Rask get run over tonite, I imagine?

With Demko's recent concussion, I don't like leaning on the kid too heavily. If JM maintains his level of play, we'd prob be wise to keep him around another 2 or 3 yrs.

*********************Extra 1sts are nice, it's true****************************

But with the drafting of the JB era(2014-now), I don't know if it's necessary anymore, to sell valuable vets for extra 1sts. Our depth picks/signings may be enough to keep the ELC pipeline flowing.

Finally, if this team goes on an unlikely run(2019 or '20) with Markstrom staying hot..well, if Dipietro is trending nicely too, we might wind up with an opposite scenario. Demko dealt would bring back memories of the Schneids-surprise. Who knows what some envious GM might offer?

End of the day, if we DO wind up with two excellent gt's be a great prob to have. With ED on the horizon, one would have to be moved.

5 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

A rebuild includes many facets. JB has covered most of the 'easier' ( not easy ) parts of the rebuild. We are now at a point where the players we 'need' are very hard to come by. We need a #1 LD, a #2/ #1 RD, a #1 LW etc, etc.. ( ....you always need more ). We either have to buy, at great expense, or grow these assets. Either way is riddled with possible failure. I don't think that these moves would be in the rebuild section. Maybe the development/ retool section.

Part of JB's rebuild has included years of developing a #1 goalie. To discard him as soon as he reaches ( maybe ) true #1 status would be very foolish !

A lot of things would have to happen for Benning to consider this, as the OP suggested, but if they did it would definitely be worth a look.  If it was to a non-playoff team another lottery ticket this coming draft could work out very well for us, and if it doesn’t we could he like this years NYI who cleaned up getting two guys who many thought would go top ten at 11-12.   

Its a hypothetical that most likely won’t happen, but does have some value as a play to get more picks.

Archived