The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jake Muzzin to Maple Leafs for Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi's rights, 1st-round pick

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

3 elite forwards - Matthews, Marner, Tavares

A top offensive defenceman - Reilly

A very good checking centre - Kadri

And now a proven quality defenceman in Muzzin

A winning coach - Babcock

So 'not' a chance because why?  Because they're the Leafs?  I'm a die hard Canucks fan, but I also see what the Leafs have going for them... They have a legitimate shot at the Cup if they stay healthy.

They don't often seem to play like a team when they need to, they are lacking "playoff" toughness, they don't have great options in terms of playoff experience if their No. 1 goalie goes down or has a tough stretch, etc. etc.     The big one for me will be when they show in the first round of the playoffs that they can play a playoff style.   You can put up that sort of list for any one of ten or twelve teams with at least half of them, in my opinion, play more like a "team".   

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good to see the Toronto thinking is getting back to normal. I was worried for a minute there. 

That would have made TO the team to beat in the east imo, if they added those two d to the mix. The only simple "dollar in dollar out" scenario is trying to find a taker for Zaitsev (good luck).

I'd consider taking it on as a cap dump for the right return (and taking back say a Gagner) but Dubas doesn't seem to think he needs to pay a price to either get good players or clear bad cap (and LAK sure didn't prove him wrong).

Just now, aGENT said:

I'd consider taking it on as a cap dump for the right return (and taking back say a Gagner) but Dubas doesn't seem to think he needs to pay a price to either get good players or clear bad cap (and LAK sure didn't prove him wrong).

I was trying to think of what would be worth Zaitzie's contract from TOs prospect pool..... not much tbh. I'd rather Benning helps load up one of TOs playoff opponents :lol:

I dunno, I liked the Muzzin deal. Could LA have got more? maybe. But clearly they weren't being offered more. I guess they could have had more patience but I understand going with a 'good enough' deal to get the rebuild process moving. Pretty easy to like it from TOs side.

I'm more curious about the 31 thoughts (#5) making it sound like Liljegren wasn't wanted in the deal. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was trying to think of what would be worth Zaitzie's contract from TOs prospect pool..... not much tbh. I'd rather Benning helps load up one of TOs playoff opponents :lol:

Agreed on both :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, I liked the Muzzin deal. Could LA have got more? maybe. But clearly they weren't being offered more. I guess they could have had more patience but I understand going with a 'good enough' deal to get the rebuild process moving. Pretty easy to like it from TOs side.

Yeah I think Blake jumped the gun personally. Even one A- prospect and the pick would have been better (not that TOR has much available in that tier, as you pointed out above). IMO you need to get at least one relatively 'sure' thing when moving a top 3 D, and they did not. They got three pieces that are more likely than not, to be nothing in the long term.

So yeah, pretty easy to like from the TOR side :lol: Here's hope they go back to &^@#ing up so we don't have to hear even more of the onslaught of how amazing they are. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed on both :lol:

Yeah I think Blake jumped the gun personally. Even one A- prospect and the pick would have been better (not that TOR has much available in that tier, as you pointed out above). IMO you need to get at least one relatively 'sure' thing when moving a top 3 D, and they did not. They got three pieces that are more likely than not, to be nothing in the long term.

So yeah, pretty easy to like from the TOR side :lol: Here's hope they go back to &^@#ing up so we don't have to hear even more of the onslaught of how amazing they are. 

true, but they have time to find out. LAs going to suck for a while. People moaning about Loui's contract need to check out LAs contract situation, they have a few of those. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true, but they have time to find out. LAs going to suck for a while. People moaning about Loui's contract need to check out LAs contract situation, they have a few of those. 

The people moaning about LE and his contract have no idea how good we have it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They don't often seem to play like a team when they need to, they are lacking "playoff" toughness, they don't have great options in terms of playoff experience if their No. 1 goalie goes down or has a tough stretch, etc. etc.     The big one for me will be when they show in the first round of the playoffs that they can play a playoff style.   You can put up that sort of list for any one of ten or twelve teams with at least half of them, in my opinion, play more like a "team".   

I'm not sure there's ten or twelve teams with 3 elite forwards and a PPG defenceman lol

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I disagree.   You definition of elite perhaps would exclude teams like Boston or Pittsburgh.   Mine doesn't.    

What's the other 10 teams with 3 forwards of that caliber and a PPG defenceman?

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They also have 2 cups so who cares.

They'll go thru rebuild just like we are but they have cups. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, TNucks1 said:

yeah i'd switch places with them if that means we got 2 cups in the process.

Kings are super smart.  They recognize that guys like Muzzin are now old, slow, and crappy, and they are trading those old crappy guys for futures to stupid teams, who are ran by child GMs.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kings are super smart.  They recognize that guys like Muzzin are now old, slow, and crappy, and they are trading those old crappy guys for futures to stupid teams, who are ran by child GMs.  

wouldnt really call muzzins crappy, maybe getting older, but not crappy.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

What's the other 10 teams with 3 forwards of that caliber and a PPG defenceman?

Google is your friend.   :)   The PPG Dman is a silly part of your Leaf obsession.   A 0.8 PG Dman can offer a lot more than a PPG can to three elite forwards - look at NYI for one such example.    

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lionized27 said:

Indeed, he can skate and he's not terrible defensively...but he's not the "answer" to the Leafs defensive issues.

It'll take Keith and probably Seabrook as well to make those changes.

/$

Agreed he's a very good dman but they need help on the right side truthfully. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Google is your friend.   :)   The PPG Dman is a silly part of your Leaf obsession.   A 0.8 PG Dman can offer a lot more than a PPG can to three elite forwards - look at NYI for one such example.    

Lol you and I know there's only 4 or 5 teams with the depth and completeness in the Leafs lineup.  Don't be such a Canucks homer to not be able to acknowledge that the Leafs are now a legitimate Cup candidate.

PS - I hate the Leafs with a passion, but that doesn't mean they suck