The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jake Muzzin to Maple Leafs for Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi's rights, 1st-round pick

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lol you and I know there's only 4 or 5 teams with the depth and completeness in the Leafs lineup.  Don't be such a Canucks homer to not be able to acknowledge that the Leafs are now a legitimate Cup candidate.

PS - I hate the Leafs with a passion, but that doesn't mean they suck

I am a Canucks homer?   LOL.     Yup, that is why I put them in that category.   Believe it or not, one can follow the entire game and still have an opinion on all teams in spite of having a few favourites.   My three fav teams?....none are on the lest below.      I have never said, either, that the Leafs current lineup "sucks", I said and will say again as your hearing aid is not working apparently, I don't think they are well constructed in terms of winning a Cup and that in the order of 10-12 teams are better constructed than they are even if those teams do not have the same regular season success.    It remains a team game, remember, and of interest their (if you read Canadian sports web pages) Tavares signing was the best FA signing of all time and must be devastating to his former team....who are currently ahead of the Leafs in the standings and having a better year without him than any year they ever had with him.

To your list of "only 4 or 5 teams", to start, there are 10 teams that I believe can/would give the Leafs more than they can handle in a 7 game series based upon their respective lineups are (in no particular order):

• Calgary 
  • NYI
  • Tampa
  • Winnipeg
  • Nashville
  • Vegas
  • Pens
  • Bruins
  • Capitals
  • Blue Jackets

Others that could do the same with their lineups, but its less clear in my mind:

• Stars
  • Colorado
  • Wild

I am sure your opinion is different.   More than fine.    :)

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am a Canucks homer?   LOL.     Yup, that is why I put them in that category.   Believe it or not, one can follow the entire game and still have an opinion on all teams in spite of having a few favourites.   My three fav teams?....none are on the lest below.      I have never said, either, that the Leafs current lineup "sucks", I said and will say again as your hearing aid is not working apparently, I don't think they are well constructed in terms of winning a Cup and that in the order of 10-12 teams are better constructed than they are even if those teams do not have the same regular season success.    It remains a team game, remember, and of interest their (if you read Canadian sports web pages) Tavares signing was the best FA signing of all time and must be devastating to his former team....who are currently ahead of the Leafs in the standings and having a better year without him than any year they ever had with him.

To your list of "only 4 or 5 teams", to start, there are 10 teams that I believe can/would give the Leafs more than they can handle in a 7 game series based upon their respective lineups are (in no particular order):

• Calgary 
  • NYI
  • Tampa
  • Winnipeg
  • Nashville
  • Vegas
  • Pens
  • Bruins
  • Capitals
  • Blue Jackets

Others that could do the same with their lineups, but its less clear in my mind:

• Stars
  • Colorado
  • Wild

I am sure your opinion is different.   More than fine.    :)

Lol, all credibility was lost after I saw NYI on that list.

• Wat 2

Just now, HKSR said:

Lol, all credibility was lost after I saw NYI on that list.

Yes, clearly credibility comes from your assessment of affairs.    If you are not aware of the NYI talent base and what they are accomplishing this  year as a well-coached and very supportive TEAM, then you are missing out on one of the best hockey stories in the NHL.

Credibility - lol....on a hockey discussion site.    :lol:

c25d0a808972fbbebe2c156dcab1d7ad1dcb8a3a

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yes, clearly credibility comes from your assessment of affairs.    If you are not aware of the NYI talent base and what they are accomplishing this  year as a well-coached and very supportive TEAM, then you are missing out on one of the best hockey stories in the NHL.

Credibility - lol....on a hockey discussion site.    :lol:

c25d0a808972fbbebe2c156dcab1d7ad1dcb8a3a

Yup, I'd be really confident with Pulock, Mayfield, and Leddy chewing big minutes in the playoffs for my team lol

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, I'd be really confident with Pulock, Mayfield, and Leddy chewing big minutes in the playoffs for my team lol

Good to hear, you are aligned with Barry Trotz.     Interesting how that "crap" D is leading the league in shot suppression, third in allowing "dangerous" shots and their NHL leading D in terms of GAA....with their "crap" players.    The oldest on you mentioned in that list, Leddy, is just 27 and they have a very strong, young and improving Dcorp.   For those who want to pay attention to it.    IF they were in Toronto, you would have far more knowledge of these players as they would be talked about constantly.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Remind me who the Golden Knights had on defence last year in the playoffs...

Edited by fanofvan

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good to hear, you are aligned with Barry Trotz.     Interesting how that "crap" D is leading the league in shot suppression, third in allowing "dangerous" shots and their NHL leading D in terms of GAA....with their "crap" players.    The oldest on you mentioned in that list, Leddy, is just 27 and they have a very strong, young and improving Dcorp.   For those who want to pay attention to it.    IF they were in Toronto, you would have far more knowledge of these players as they would be talked about constantly.

I guess we'll see how these guys fair in the playoffs lol.  You can quote me on it that they'll be out in the first round.  

As you said, regular season isn't playoffs.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I guess we'll see how these guys fair in the playoffs lol.  You can quote me on it that they'll be out in the first round.  

As you said, regular season isn't playoffs.

Which is a lesson I believe Leaf fans will learn this year.

Cheers!  :)

On 1/31/2019 at 9:25 AM, HKSR said:

Lol you and I know there's only 4 or 5 teams with the depth and completeness in the Leafs lineup.  Don't be such a Canucks homer to not be able to acknowledge that the Leafs are now a legitimate Cup candidate.

PS - I hate the Leafs with a passion, but that doesn't mean they suck

I think you'r misnaming their strengths - which imo are the top end of their lineup, and secondary scoring depth from their forwards.

"Depth and completeness" however is what the Leafs need to work on - particularly on their blueline - where I'd agree with you that Muzzin helps balance and fill out that roster, but I still think they have another move or two to make - and I would not rank them with the league's best in terms of "completeness".  When you look at teams like Tampa, Nashville, Winnipeg, Washington, Columbus, possibly Calgary, San Jose....I think they're built more "completely" than Toronto - whereas the Leafs are relying moreso on the top end of their roster - their two 1st overall centers and their skilled wingers.  

It's hard to take seriously criticisms of guys like Pulock or Mayfield when Gardiner and Zaitsev have been the Leafs #2 and #3 ice time D this year, and were #1 and #2 last year.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I think you'r misnaming their strengths - which imo are the top end of their lineup, and secondary scoring depth from their forwards.

"Depth and completeness" however is what the Leafs need to work on - particularly on their blueline - where I'd agree with you that Muzzin helps balance and fill out that roster, but I still think they have another move or two to make - and I would not rank them with the league's best in terms of "completeness".  When you look at teams like Tampa, Nashville, Winnipeg, Washington, Columbus, possibly Calgary, San Jose....I think they're built more "completely" than Toronto - whereas the Leafs are relying moreso on the top end of their roster - their two 1st overall centers and their skilled wingers.  

It's hard to take seriously criticisms of guys like Pulock or Mayfield when Gardiner and Zaitsev have been the Leafs #2 and #3 ice time D this year, and were #1 and #2 last year.

But Gardiner and Zaitsev are their #3 and #4 now... That's decent when Muzzin and Reilly will likely eat up nearly half the game in minutes.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

But Gardiner and Zaitsev are their #3 and #4 now... That's decent when Muzzin and Reilly will likely eat up nearly half the game in minutes.

I think the problem is that 'decent' isn't going to set the world on fire and cause people to view them among the upper echelon of teams as you seem to be implying with your earlier comments.

This move certainly improves them and indeed brings their D pool from 'decidedly underwhelming' to 'decent' but their D is still a few grades away from 'legit contender'.

Edited by aGENT

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Muezzin is, at best, a 5.  The Leafs, one more in their arrogant stupidity, believe their jersey will make a player more than he is.  Have you watched Muzzin skate?  He’s a slug.  He’s a pylon on D who can’t keepup to the play.  When asked what he needed to adjust to after his first game, he said, “the speed at which these guys play”.  He can’t keep up, because he’s a 5/6 guy.  

• Wat 3