The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

God the amount of crap people will think up on here to make management look good on here is ridiculous. First of all Dahlen never requested a trade himself. 

FTF: If I could clear up some things then, did your agent ask for a trade?

JD: No, I don’t think so.

We had a little stuff down there in Utica where I really wanted to feel good about myself and have confidence in my game and play well. I don’t want to say anything bad about anybody, but I didn’t feel too good about my hockey game there.

But first of all, I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.

Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

Pretty much clears it up. Unless you guys think Dahlen is lying flat face to the media of a brand new city he is trying to make the team in. 

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Please link the interview or article where Barry said that. 

Dahlen's agent JP Barry on the trade: "There was frustration with the way he was being developed but they wanted to see more from him. It goes both ways. "He’s fine with this."

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/03/vancouver-gm-jim-benning-rips-jonathan.html

A lot of criticism has came Benning's way on the trade deadline when news broke that he had traded Elias Pettersson's friend, Jonathan Dahlen. It was later revealed that Dahlen requested a trade due to not being in the NHL.

I find sometimes young players now, sometimes they don't want to pay their dues in development time. They just want an NHL opportunity off the start. We just felt there was development left before that, and I guess that's where the discrepancy was, Benning stated while he was on TSN Radio Vancouver.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jonathan-dahlen-denies-demanding-trade-dials-in-on-development-2228145

"Meanwhile, Dahlen’s agent confirms trade request; what’s going on here?"

"

There was no rush to trade Dahlen at the deadline. He has another year on his contract and will be a Restricted Free Agent when it expires, so the Canucks had plenty of time to shop Dahlen around. But, if the Canucks had soured on Dahlen, perhaps they wanted to make a move more quickly.

All in all, it seems like an unfortunate situation: Dahlen wasn’t happy with his development in Utica and the Canucks weren’t happy with Dahlen. Hopefully everyone’s a little happier now."

Let's put the Dahlen is innocent game to rest. He WANTED the trade, and got JP Barry to do it.

• Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dahlen's agent JP Barry on the trade: "There was frustration with the way he was being developed but they wanted to see more from him. It goes both ways. "He’s fine with this."

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/03/vancouver-gm-jim-benning-rips-jonathan.html

A lot of criticism has came Benning's way on the trade deadline when news broke that he had traded Elias Pettersson's friend, Jonathan Dahlen. It was later revealed that Dahlen requested a trade due to not being in the NHL.

I find sometimes young players now, sometimes they don't want to pay their dues in development time. They just want an NHL opportunity off the start. We just felt there was development left before that, and I guess that's where the discrepancy was, Benning stated while he was on TSN Radio Vancouver.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jonathan-dahlen-denies-demanding-trade-dials-in-on-development-2228145

"

There was no rush to trade Dahlen at the deadline. He has another year on his contract and will be a Restricted Free Agent when it expires, so the Canucks had plenty of time to shop Dahlen around. But, if the Canucks had soured on Dahlen, perhaps they wanted to make a move more quickly.

All in all, it seems like an unfortunate situation: Dahlen wasn’t happy with his development in Utica and the Canucks weren’t happy with Dahlen. Hopefully everyone’s a little happier now."

Let's put the Dahlen is innocent game to rest. He WANTED the trade, and got JP Barry to do it.

Benning saying that he wanted to be in the NHL to justify the trade, contradicts Dahlen’s statements who didn’t feel NHL ready, the Sharks saying he was always a long term project and even Dahlen’s actions of going back to Sweden to develop his game.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

"

I see a few ”Dahlen denies trade” here.

Where is the quote from Dahlen?

For me it looks like a deal the agent and Benning agreed on. 

I don’t see that Benning suggested SHL for Dahlen par example. Wich is the first move Benning should have made.

You could have a point if Benning said Dahlen denied going back to Sweden.

There you got the most valuable information that doesn’t excist.

So if I offer a solution it is that Benning didn’t want Dahlen to go back to Timrå and left Dahlens agent with no other option than offer trade to both Dahlen and Benning.

That explains Barrys words ”He’s fine with this”. Words that was unnecessary if Dahlen wanted the trade.

• Haha 1

Dahlén played in the second division in Sweden with Timrå, he never even played one game in the SHL.  Meanwhile, Karlsson is playing in the SHL this year and is doing very well.  He is also 2 years younger than Dahlén, plays in a position of need for Vancouver (right hand shot centre) and has more size and defensive acumen which is what we are currently lacking.

I don't know what happened with the whole trade thing, all I know is that Benning made a hockey trade and it's still too early to determine who the winner of that trade is.  Dahlén seems to be breaking out at almost age 24, Karlsson is turning 22 so let's see what he can do this year in the SHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning saying that he wanted to be in the NHL to justify the trade, contradicts Dahlen’s statements who didn’t feel NHL ready, the Sharks saying he was always a long term project and even Dahlen’s actions of going back to Sweden to develop his game.

It doesn't justify anything.

Why wouldn't the Canucks hold onto Dahlen and potentially get a BETTER return? Also, why would the Canucks sour so much on Dahlen that they wouldn't at least TRY to court him?

The answer is: it doesn't make sense. The trade was something Dahlen did push for, if it in fact it would've helped him to the NHL. And when he played with SJ, he didn't even make their team, thus confirming the Canucks' evaluations.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I don’t see that Benning suggested SHL for Dahlen par example. Wich is the first move Benning should have made.

So if I offer a solution it is that Benning didn’t want Dahlen to go back to Timrå and left Dahlens agent with no other option than offer trade to both Dahlen and Benning.

That explains Barrys words ”He’s fine with this”. Words that was unnecessary if Dahlen wanted the trade.

And yet he claimed to deny the trade :rolleyes: All the while Barry being coy about what Dahlen actually wanted. There is a mixture of ideas, but saying Dahlen didn't want out is foolish.

• Cheers 1

Serious question...  Does anyone here believe that Dahlen would've walked onto the Canucks and gotten: 

- 1st line winger spot next to Elias and Brock or Miller.  

- Power Play 1 spot  

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And yet he claimed to deny the trade :rolleyes: All the while Barry being coy about what Dahlen actually wanted. There is a mixture of ideas, but saying Dahlen didn't want out is foolish.

Reading comprehension is good…

Dahlen didn’t want out. He wanted a change because he didn’t feel good.

So what he also wanted was an understanding from Benning but Benning didn’t bother and took the easy way out and tried to save face blaming some young players without Bennings life experience.

Benning is the adult here and should act like one. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Serious question...  Does anyone here believe that Dahlen would've walked onto the Canucks and gotten: 

- 1st line winger spot next to Elias and Brock or Miller.  

- Power Play 1 spot  

I don’t believe it and I’m his mother.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It doesn't justify anything.

Why wouldn't the Canucks hold onto Dahlen and potentially get a BETTER return? Also, why would the Canucks sour so much on Dahlen that they wouldn't at least TRY to court him?

The answer is: it doesn't make sense. The trade was something Dahlen did push for, if it in fact it would've helped him to the NHL. And when he played with SJ, he didn't even make their team, thus confirming the Canucks' evaluations.

Dahlen asked out of Utica but not for the reasons implied by Benning.  He knew he was not NHL ready but wanted to develop in a better environment.  He did not feel comfortable in Utica.  Palmu didn’t either and cited a lack of communication.

San Jose 1st wanted Dahlen to get his confidence back and simply get back to being happy playing after a rough time in Utica.  They agreed with him that the best place would be back home.  He had finished the season with another concussion.  He didn’t even attend training camp as he knew he had work to do.  San Jose always said he was a long term project.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just because I feel like I'm missing out, here's my 2 cents on what probably happened.

Dahlen was struggling to adjust to North America, and possibly felt like he wasn't getting enough guidance or communication in Utica. He voices his displeasure about his situation to JP Barry. JP Barry assumes this means Dahlen wants out and goes to Benning to request a trade but doesn't say why. Benning is caught off guard by a prospect requesting a trade and assumes it's a character issue so he decides to get rid of it fast.

Ultimately Dahlen technically never requests a trade, his agent does. Benning, with his noted lack of social skills at times, sees that a top prospect is visibly unhappy and when they request a trade Benning makes the assumption that it's due to the player not being handed a more favorable situation (NHL time). 

Technically neither Dahlen nor Benning lie about who requests a trade. JP Barry is his usual slimy self.

Well that was fun.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Just because I feel like I'm missing out, here's my 2 cents on what probably happened.

Dahlen was struggling to adjust to North America, and possibly felt like he wasn't getting enough guidance or communication in Utica. He voices his displeasure about his situation to JP Barry. JP Barry assumes this means Dahlen wants out and goes to Benning to request a trade but doesn't say why. Benning is caught off guard by a prospect requesting a trade and assumes it's a character issue so he decides to get rid of it fast.

Ultimately Dahlen technically never requests a trade, his agent does. Benning, with his noted lack of social skills at times, sees that a top prospect is visibly unhappy and when they request a trade Benning makes the assumption that it's due to the player not being handed a more favorable situation (NHL time). 

Technically neither Dahlen nor Benning lie about who requests a trade. JP Barry is his usual slimy self.

Well that was fun.

One step further is if either the Sharks or Dahlens father has a relation with Barry and thought it was best for Dahlen Jr to go to the Sharks.

For the Sharks they got their first father son playing for them wich is something that can be capitalised in marketing.

Ulf D get a happier son.

If so it’s the agent driving the vehicle with Benning and Dahlen as bystandards.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlén played in the second division in Sweden with Timrå, he never even played one game in the SHL.  Meanwhile, Karlsson is playing in the SHL this year and is doing very well.  He is also 2 years younger than Dahlén, plays in a position of need for Vancouver (right hand shot centre) and has more size and defensive acumen which is what we are currently lacking.

I don't know what happened with the whole trade thing, all I know is that Benning made a hockey trade and it's still too early to determine who the winner of that trade is.  Dahlén seems to be breaking out at almost age 24, Karlsson is turning 22 so let's see what he can do this year in the SHL.

So right... Its a hockey trade... Who cares, if it is this or that...

Atm it looks like everyone are winners... Leave it at that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Can we just agree, that non of us knows exactly the reason for the trade.

You don't see Benning suggesting the SHL... have you got a tape recorder of the conversation between Dahlen/ Dahlen agent and Benning.

Others posted Dahlens response to the question Did you request a trade? NO I DON'T THINK SO... The boy damn right would know if he requested a trade or not... this is not a hard question to answer YES or NO... 

The crap and arguments amongst folks here, who hasn't got a clue is amazing... None of you know, what was/wasn't said. 

Folks just choose to believe what fits their narratives...

• Cheers 1