The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Same could be said for our college players, no? We haven’t had one walk away yet. I don’t see the need for this sky-is-falling thinking. 

That's different, there was an incentive in that they would have to wait until 4 years in the NCAA before becoming a FA. Hughes played after 1 season, Boeser I believe after 2, Gaudette after 3. I believe Lockwood is the only one who signed after 4 years when he didn't have to. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

That's different, there was an incentive in that they would have to wait until 4 years in the NCAA before becoming a FA. Hughes played after 1 season, Boeser I believe after 2, Gaudette after 3. I believe Lockwood is the only one who signed after 4 years when he didn't have to. 

Demko. Rathbone was close too I think? He was either just finished his SR or JR season when he signed. He was either weeks away from free agency or one year away, same as gaudette. And the same as Karlsson. 

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

They'd pass it up because they know they could now get the same contract with any other team now. If he signed before at least there was insurance in case his season this year was mediocre but now there's a lack of incentive to sign altogether.

This is a very poor line of reasoning. Your logic revolves around this baseless logic that the incentive not to sign with the Canucks is greater than starting your NHL career. We aren't Arizona.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Demko. Rathbone was close too I think? He was either just finished his SR or JR season when he signed. He was either weeks away from free agency or one year away, same as gaudette. And the same as Karlsson. 

Demko was over a year from being a FA, same as Gaudette. Same as Rathbone (technically he only played NCAA for two years but he started a year late). Again, those are examples where there is incentives to sign early because they get to start their professional career early. There's no incentive here, this shouldn't be as controversial point as I thought it would be. Karlsson is not the same example, he is, in comparison, in his last year of NCAA. The only example we have, again, is Lockwood. If someone has another example feel free to correct me. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is a very poor line of reasoning. Your logic revolves around this baseless logic that the incentive not to sign with the Canucks is greater than starting your NHL career. We aren't Arizona.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying he isn't signing in Vancouver because the Canucks are perceived somehow as being ****. I'm saying he may prefer to sign somewhere where he'll get more opportunities to stay in an NHL lineup and make NHL salary as opposed to AHL salary. He may very well sign with the Coyotes for that reason. Their centres are atrocious and maybe the worst in the league.

To be clear, I am stating there is no advantage in starting his career early anymore. We lose our rights before the next season. 

12 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying he isn't signing in Vancouver because the Canucks are perceived somehow as being ****. I'm saying he may prefer to sign somewhere where he'll get more opportunities to stay in an NHL lineup and make NHL salary as opposed to AHL salary. He may very well sign with the Coyotes for that reason. Their centres are atrocious and maybe the worst in the league.

To be clear, I am stating there is no advantage in starting his career early anymore. We lose our rights before the next season. 

I think we have an opportunity for him to play C next year. Assuming our Cs are Pettersson, Horvat, and Dickinson; Karlsson could fit there. We need a centre for PP2 if we're still going to load up the first unit with Miller, Pettersson, and Horvat. Could see him carving out a nice role for himself with ~9-10 even strength minutes plus secondary special teams. (I think he's killing penalties in the SHL this year too).

I think they could at least sell him on there being an opportunity to earn that spot at camp.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

Demko was over a year from being a FA, same as Gaudette. Same as Rathbone (technically he only played NCAA for two years but he started a year late). Again, those are examples where there is incentives to sign early because they get to start their professional career early. There's no incentive here, this shouldn't be as controversial point as I thought it would be. Karlsson is not the same example, he is, in comparison, in his last year of NCAA. The only example we have, again, is Lockwood. If someone has another example feel free to correct me. 

Similar or same ages was my point. One year away from free agency at the age of 21 isn’t a big deal, especially for an American kid whose rights are held by a Canadian team. There was plenty of incentive for them to hold off signing snd go to FA. 

Besides, around the entire league how often do we actually see this happen? A player electing to snub the team that drafted them and sign with another team instead, whether it’s European or college players. It’s an incredibly rare occurrence. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Similar or same ages was my point. One year away from free agency at the age of 21 isn’t a big deal, especially for an American kid whose rights are held by a Canadian team. There was plenty of incentive for them to hold off signing snd go to FA. 

Besides, around the entire league how often do we actually see this happen? A player electing to snub the team that drafted them and sign with another team instead, whether it’s European or college players. It’s an incredibly rare occurrence. 

The last Canuck to not sign with Vancouver was  a 2010 4th round pick by the name of Patrick McNally. He never became anything just a ECHL D man for the Sharks. Like you said, it rarely happens and usually when it does it’s not a significant loss. Everyone remembers the Jimmy Vessey hype, now he’s hanging on for a NHL gig. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

The threat of it has forced teams to trade players so they wouldn't lose them for nothing.

Calgary had 2 D prospects do this. The first, Tim Erixon, didn't turn out. But the 2nd won the Norris last year.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The threat of it has forced teams to trade players so they wouldn't lose them for nothing.

Calgary had 2 D prospects do this. The first, Tim Erixon, didn't turn out. But the 2nd won the Norris last year.

I can’t think of many players who’ve done that either. 

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

What… just happened…

Ah, morning brings (some) clarity...

I was in the GDT. I got bored with the doom and gloom there, and moved to other threads. I also had dropped in a few BM MVs in the GDT over the last couple of games (NYR, Nash), and the Canucks had scored goals within a short period of time (co-incidence), so, for a bit of fun I decided I'd try my luck again for the last few minutes of last night's game. Sadly, I had forgotten that I was no longer in the GDT when I submitted that BM MV. In hindsight, I suppose I should consider my self lucky that I was still on the Canucks' forums when I posted it.

Yes, this means that last night's loss is on my shoulders....

regards,  G.

PS - did you enjoy the MV?  :)

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Haha 2

Dahlen scores another goal. 

I the argument I'm hearing why it was fine to trade Dahlen is because he wouldn't be the Canucks top 6 because of the team's depth in the top 6. 

Looking how bad Canucks are scoring now I would imagine Green would give Dahlen a chance in the Top 6 (or put him there permanently). 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Dahlen scores another goal. 

I the argument I'm hearing why it was fine to trade Dahlen is because he wouldn't be the Canucks top 6 because of the team's depth in the top 6. 

Looking how bad Canucks are scoring now I would imagine Green would give Dahlen a chance in the Top 6 (or put him there permanently). 

This teams problems are much deeper than having a player like Dahlen in the top 6.  

Fans need to let go.

What exactly does Dahlen bring to a team in the NHL? He does have a nose for the net and has the ability to score goals like he did overseas in Sweden. Yes, it was only the second tier league in Sweden, but as a forward you either have the ability to score or you don't have.

Dahlen does exactly what you expect from a top 6 forward: he scores goals on a consistent basis. Problems of Canucks this season are fundamental / structural but a scoring winger in the top  6 would put this team definitely in a better spot.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Yes but I would think a goal or two in some of these home games would be nice. 

We have guys that can put the puck in the net but aren’t under this coach.

What makes you think Dahlen would magically be able to score here when these other talented stars aren’t?

It’s not the personnel that’s our problem.

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What makes you think Dahlen would magically be able to score here when these other talented stars aren’t?

I rather have him not score here vs him scoring elsewhere. 

Especially considering sharks are a division rival. WHY would u trade him there.. If we traded him to like Florida/NJD it would be less painful

Edited by DontMessMe