The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

I am happy to see Dahlen get a chance. I really loved watching his performance in Penticton in the youngstars. I wish him well.

End of the day I look at our fwd lineup and I don't see a spot where he improves our top 9.

Miller XXX Boeser

Garland XXX Pearson

Hoglander XXX Podkolzin

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

he doesn't have the speed or quickness for the NHL unless he can improve that dramatically. 

@CRAZY_4_NAZZYdid a really nice write up of him in the Karlsson thread where he talked about his skating, among other things. I would suggest taking a peak at it. I don't think his skating ability is going to keep him out of the NHL. Even if it isn't up to par yet, skating can always be improved. It's not entirely indicative of his overall talent level. The fact that he managed a PPG season in Swe-1 last season and is producing like a top 6 in the SHL in his rookie year, despite his skating not being as good as it could be, tells me he's very talented.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

@CRAZY_4_NAZZYdid a really nice write up of him in the Karlsson thread where he talked about his skating, among other things. I would suggest taking a peak at it. I don't think his skating ability is going to keep him out of the NHL. Even if it isn't up to par yet, skating can always be improved. It's not entirely indicative of his overall talent level. The fact that he managed a PPG season in Swe-1 last season and is producing like a top 6 in the SHL in his rookie year, despite his skating not being as good as it could be, tells me he's very talented.

He has skills but he doesn't have the speed shl u aint exactly playing against the fastest strongest players so u can get around even if u aint fast. Sure skating maybe u can improve but we keep complaining about pettersson or boeser being slow every year so will improve enough to make an impact. I personally don't think so. He doesn't have the speed to be effective in the top 6 and we have plenty of bottom 6 that can fill the bottom 6 role. So I don't see him ever making it in the NHL at least not with the Canucks 

44 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

He has skills but he doesn't have the speed shl u aint exactly playing against the fastest strongest players so u can get around even if u aint fast. Sure skating maybe u can improve but we keep complaining about pettersson or boeser being slow every year so will improve enough to make an impact. I personally don't think so. He doesn't have the speed to be effective in the top 6 and we have plenty of bottom 6 that can fill the bottom 6 role. So I don't see him ever making it in the NHL at least not with the Canucks 

Bottom six players are important. I doubt he pans out as a top 6, but he has enough skill and grit to be a very effective 3rd line player. I could even see him being our permanent 3C eventually. Someone capable playing in all situations and providing some solid secondary scoring. He may never put up the numbers Dahlen does, but if by chance he can solidify that 3C role, play in multiple situations and provide some secondary offense, I'd say we made put pretty well, and I think he's capable of reaching that level. 

Also, as we've seen here, teams that don't develop their own bottom 6 players are doomed to have to either use plugs, trade assets to land them, or overspend in free agency. I'd rather avoid that going forward.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Bottom six players are important. I doubt he pans out as a top 6, but he has enough skill and grit to be a very effective 3rd line player. I could even see him being our permanent 3C eventually. Someone capable playing in all situations and providing some solid secondary scoring. He may never put up the numbers Dahlen does, but if by chance he can solidify that 3C role, play in multiple situations and provide some secondary offense, I'd say we made put pretty well, and I think he's capable of reaching that level. 

Also, as we've seen here, teams that don't develop their own bottom 6 players are doomed to have to either use plugs, trade assets to land them, or overspend in free agency. I'd rather avoid that going forward.

Canucks are really the only team that spent like crazy on the bottom 6 in recent years. Ferland beagle Sutter rousell etc. Most teams are paying their bottom 6 in the 750-2.5mil range per player we have Dickinson for the 3c role at least for the next 3 season. He's not suitable in a 4c checking role. 

Besides if he's not signed by June 1st next year he becomes a free agent anyways. We only hold the rights to European drafted players for 4 years if he's not signed to an entry level contract. He was drafted I'm 2018 so June 2022 would be the deadline to get him signed. Do u see him signing with the Canucks looking at the current roster and seeing he has 0 chance to even compete for a spot? Prolly not.

• Wat 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Canucks are really the only team that spent like crazy on the bottom 6 in recent years. Ferland beagle Sutter rousell etc. Most teams are paying their bottom 6 in the 750-2.5mil range per player we have Dickinson for the 3c role at least for the next 3 season. He's not suitable in a 4c checking role. 

Besides if he's not signed by June 1st next year he becomes a free agent anyways. We only hold the rights to European drafted players for 4 years if he's not signed to an entry level contract. He was drafted I'm 2018 so June 2022 would be the deadline to get him signed. Do u see him signing with the Canucks looking at the current roster and seeing he has 0 chance to even compete for a spot? Prolly not.

Dickinson can't win a faceoff to save his life, so I wouldn't be too comfortable penicilling him permanently into the 3C slot. Besides, a team can never have enough centers.

There's absolutely no reason why we couldn't sign him and allow him to continue to play in Sweden if he wanted to. Besides, neither of us know what the roster is going to look like next year. There's a good chance Miller is moved, which, through the trickle down effect would open up a spot in the bottom 6. Or he may be content playing in Abby and waiting for a call up.

I really don't see why you want to write Karlsson off as a failure so badly, unless you just want him to fail to stick it to Benning.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dickinson can't win a faceoff to save his life, so I wouldn't be too comfortable penicilling him permanently into the 3C slot. Besides, a team can never have enough centers.

There's absolutely no reason why we couldn't sign him and allow him to continue to play in Sweden if he wanted to. Besides, neither of us know what the roster is going to look like next year. There's a good chance Miller is moved, which, through the trickle down effect would open up a spot in the bottom 6. Or he may be content playing in Abby and waiting for a call up.

I really don't see why you want to write Karlsson off as a failure so badly, unless you just want him to fail to stick it to Benning.

Lol? All I said is he doesn't have the foot speed right now to make it in the NHL and he's a fringe nhler at best? What does that have to do with writing him off as a failure? A fringe nhler vs one with top 6 potential. 

You can book it he's not going to sign with the Canucks..  why would he sign his elc with the Canucks when he's going to be a free agent and can sign with any team that wants him? U don't think if the canucks think of him as part of the future they would have already signed him to a elc and not wait til we about to lose his rights for nothing? The canucks can't afford to sign him to a elc during the summer and let him play in Europe? There's now 0 reason for Linus Karlsson to sign his elc and not go the free agent route if he continues his pace in Europe. 

The trade was a terrible trade. I don't care if we traded dahlen or not. But the trade for Karlsson is a terrible one regardless of what u think or what I think about his skill speed or whatever. Coz as it stands unless he miraculously signs his elc with the Canucks when there's no reason to. The trade ends up as burrows for nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol? All I said is he doesn't have the foot speed right now to make it in the NHL and he's a fringe nhler at best? What does that have to do with writing him off as a failure? A fringe nhler vs one with top 6 potential. 

You can book it he's not going to sign with the Canucks..  why would he sign his elc with the Canucks when he's going to be a free agent and can sign with any team that wants him? U don't think if the canucks think of him as part of the future they would have already signed him to a elc and not wait til we about to lose his rights for nothing? The canucks can't afford to sign him to a elc during the summer and let him play in Europe? There's now 0 reason for Linus Karlsson to sign his elc and not go the free agent route if he continues his pace in Europe. 

The trade was a terrible trade. I don't care if we traded dahlen or not. But the trade for Karlsson is a terrible one regardless of what u think or what I think about his skill speed or whatever. Coz as it stands unless he miraculously signs his elc with the Canucks when there's no reason to. The trade ends up as burrows for nothing.

Man, you really don't want him to work out for us xD

Lockwood had "no reason" to sign with the Canucks either.

Maybe you should just wait and see what happens before getting your panties in a knot. If he doesn't resign, then I'll pick up a pitchfork and join you, but until then I'm glad he's in our pool and doing well in one of the best leagues in the world ::D

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Man, you really don't want him to work out for us xD

Lockwood had "no reason" to sign with the Canucks either.

Maybe you should just wait and see what happens before getting your panties in a knot. If he doesn't resign, then I'll pick up a pitchfork and join you, but until then I'm glad he's in our pool and doing well in one of the best leagues in the world ::D

Theres a difference between Lockwood and Karlsson. Lockwood wanted to play in the ncaa where he can't sign a elc and continue to play vs Karlsson where he can sign a elc and the Canucks can still let him play in Europe. The Canucks could have just signed him to a elc last summer and kept his rfa status but choose not to. What does that tell the player? We are not sure whether or not we want you so let see how you do next season when hes about to become a ufa?

• Wat 1

It was a mistake to not sign Karlsson to an ELC last off season considering his great play in the SHL. We've signed significantly more fringe prospects to ELCs. However, I guess that assumes Karlsson was willing to sign one with us. 

Maybe when and only when Karlsson doesn’t sign next summer then we can revive this thread. It does nothing productive by bringing up something that might happen. Would it suck if the trade chain ended for Burrows and end up with nothing? Absolutely but we aren’t there yet. Some people have to move on from a player who didn’t want to be here. We have Karlsson still, just chill and see what happens. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:52 AM, AK_19 said:

It was a mistake to not sign Karlsson to an ELC last off season considering his great play in the SHL. We've signed significantly more fringe prospects to ELCs. However, I guess that assumes Karlsson was willing to sign one with us. 

I don't see a reason why Karlsson doesn't want to sign an ELC with a team that just traded for him and might offer an NHL spot.

It's hilarious people think a prospect will pass up this kind of opportunity.

Hell, they'll play for Travis Green if they have to, to get NHL pay and experience. :lol:

On 11/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, AK_19 said:

They might have been concerned about the 50 contract limit or wanted to spare his signing bonus.

If he signed this past off-season his ELC would have been for 3 years and they could have still loaned him to the SHL.  Now his ELC can only be for 2 years as he turns 22 later this month.  They have to sign him by next 1 June or will lose his rights.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't see a reason why Karlsson doesn't want to sign an ELC with a team that just traded for him and might offer an NHL spot.

It's hilarious people think a prospect will pass up this kind of opportunity.

Hell, they'll play for Travis Green if they have to, to get NHL pay and experience. :lol:

They'd pass it up because they know they could now get the same contract with any other team now. If he signed before at least there was insurance in case his season this year was mediocre but now there's a lack of incentive to sign altogether.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

They'd pass it up because they know they could now get the same contract with any other team now. If he signed before at least there was insurance in case his season this year was mediocre but now there's a lack of incentive to sign altogether.

Same could be said for our college players, no? We haven’t had one walk away yet. I don’t see the need for this sky-is-falling thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3