The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Nope, I think good prospects should be given an opportunity to earn a spot, not be gifted one.

For the record, I also think the exact same thing about veteran players. 

Okay well he was given an opportunity here and in San Jose.

He was not ready for the NHL two years ago which he has since admitted himself. So I’m not even sure what you’re suggesting we should have done.

Waited the two years and made space for him this season? Where exactly would he fit on our roster?

Benning made the right call whether you like it or not.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Okay well he was given an opportunity here and in San Jose.

He was not ready for the NHL two years ago which he has since admitted himself. So I’m not even sure what you’re suggesting we should have done.

Waited the two years and made space for him this season? Where exactly would he fit on our roster?

Benning made the right call whether you like it or not.

Never said he made the right call or not.

I said he gave him away for basically nothing.

Unlike many, I am not particularly prone to getting too attached to prospects. Until they actually show something all they really are is trade currency anyway. How much value they have is directly influenced by how they are handled though. 

The Canucks have been very consistent about tanking prospects trade value before moving on.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Never said he made the right call or not.

I said he gave him away for basically nothing.

Unlike many, I am not particularly prone to getting too attached to prospects. Until they actually show something all they really are is trade currency anyway. How much value they have is directly influenced by how they are handled though. 

The Canucks have been very consistent about tanking prospects trade value before moving on.

Not sure how much we tanked his value.

I still wouldn’t give up more than a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

Meanwhile the player we traded him for is playing in the Swedish league at the same age Dahlen was struggling to produce in the AHL.

Lets wait and see what Karlsson becomes before we say we got nothing for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure how much we tanked his value.

I still wouldn’t give up more than a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

Meanwhile the player we traded him for is playing in the Swedish league at the same age Dahlen was struggling to produce in the AHL.

Lets wait and see what Karlsson becomes before we say we got nothing for him.

Karlsson becoming something would be great. Not really holding my breath though.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Karlsson becoming something would be great. Not really holding my breath though.

Just like I’m not holding my breath that Dahlen is going to become a legit top 6 NHLer.

We saw the same kinds of streaks from the likes of Goldobin and Vey. Doesn’t mean they belonged in the top 6.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Just like I’m not holding my breath that Dahlen is going to become a legit top 6 NHLer.

We saw the same kinds of streaks from the likes of Goldobin and Vey. Doesn’t mean they belonged in the top 6.

Maybe he won’t. But those kind of players do seem to at least be able to fit on some teams. Just not ever the Canucks it seems.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe he won’t. But those kind of players do seem to at least be able to fit on some teams. Just not ever the Canucks it seems.

We’ve had tons of players like Dahlen over the years.

Soft players that only contribute if they’re given prime powerplay time and O zone starts.

Having watched our roster with players like that I thank god for players like Hoglander and Garland. These are small guys that know how to contribute when they don’t have the puck.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’ve had tons of players like Dahlen over the years.

Soft players that only contribute if they’re given prime powerplay time and O zone starts.

Having watched our roster with players like that I thank god for players like Hoglander and Garland. These are small guys that know how to contribute when they don’t have the puck.

So why does Benning keep signing, drafting, and trading for those kind of guys?

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So why does Benning keep signing, drafting, and trading for those kind of guys?

Because it represented good value for Burrows at the time. Dahlen was one of the Sens best prospects.

Knowing that Dahlen would complain and ask for a trade was not known at the time. If Dahlen had stayed and developed in the AHL he might be the well rounded offensive player that they hoped for.

As things stand right now he’s still the same player from what I’ve seen. He’s just being given ice time on a weak roster.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So the justification for trading a young guy years ago is he wouldn’t make the roster now?

He probably was good enough to make it then considering the garbage we iced for many years.

Dude wanted out. We can play the speculative game regarding what may or may have happened had he not, but that's pointless. 

I'm a strong advocate of retaining draft picks, I'd rather see prospects get looks over fringe guys. But not every prospect amounts to something, we've seen that in guys who've gone on to other franchises.

Dahlen is gone, Hoglander cracked the group last year. MacEwan got reps in here, Podz will see more time. It's not as if guys can't make it, but I understand the frustration regarding guys we've lost or moved on from lately. 

If one wants to criticize management there are ways to go about it, but the Dahlen bit is honestly a rather weak approach. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dude wanted out. We can play the speculative game regarding what may or may have happened had he not, but that's pointless. 

I'm a strong advocate of retaining draft picks, I'd rather see prospects get looks over fringe guys. But not every prospect amounts to something, we've seen that in guys who've gone on to other franchises.

Dahlen is gone, Hoglander cracked the group last year. MacEwan got reps in here, Podz will see more time. It's not as if guys can't make it, but I understand the frustration regarding guys we've lost or moved on from lately. 

If one wants to criticize management there are ways to go about it, but the Dahlen bit is honestly a rather weak approach. 

It’s not about Dahlen to me. He is just one example in a very long string of developmental and asset management fails.

Like I have said, I am good with any player - Hughes, Podkolzin, EP, Horvat, etc - or any prospect being traded.

As long as at least equal value is coming back.

46 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s not about Dahlen to me. He is just one example in a very long string of developmental and asset management fails.

Like I have said, I am good with any player - Hughes, Podkolzin, EP, Horvat, etc - or any prospect being traded.

As long as at least equal value is coming back.

Well, we'll see what happens. We may get something out of it yet. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Well, we'll see what happens. We may get something out of it yet. 

Karlsson is a good prospect.

Thinking we were gonna get more than this level of prospect for Dahlen is just wishful thinking. His value was pretty low at that time and short of feeding him minutes on the big club, wasn’t going to get boosted.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Karlsson is a good prospect.

Thinking we were gonna get more than this level of prospect for Dahlen is just wishful thinking. His value was pretty low at that time and short of feeding him minutes on the big club, wasn’t going to get boosted.

I'm happy with Karlsson, Dahlen wasn't going to work out for us so we moved him for a guy who still has a chance to. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but he's not a terrible prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm happy with Karlsson, Dahlen wasn't going to work out for us so we moved him for a guy who still has a chance to. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but he's not a terrible prospect. 

Reminds me of when we traded Forsling for Clendening.

Clendening was the player with better stats who looked closer to being NHL ready. Forsling was the long term project that had the makings of NHLer if a team was patient.

Forsling ended up being the better player of the two after four more years of development.

If we’re patient with him he very well could be the better NHLer.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...