The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

When was the last time a college prospect didn't sign with us?  Fan angst aside, it's not really an issue.

RJ Umberger 

But that was a long long time ago and involved Kesler 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

RJ Umberger 

Plus of course we don't know the number of NCAA FA's turned down Vcr. But around the league there is a number of players that play their senior year and then go UFA

5 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

dude the NHL is a whole other world compared to the SHL, I think this is unlikely.

Just ask Pettersson and Hoglander ...... oh, wait, they both came right into the NHL from the SHL

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Plus of course we don't know the number of NCAA FA's turned down Vcr. But around the league there is a number of players that play their senior year and then go UFA

At this point, NHL teams have gotten smarter about this. If an NCAA draftee is going to opt for free agency, the team that drafted the player just trades him. It has been happening more and more.

Jack McBain got dealt to Arizona from Minnesota.

Adam Fox got shipped from Calgary to Carolina to NYR.

RJ Umberger was traded to NYR from Vancouver, back in the day, when he refused to sign here.

If Aidan McDonough refuses to sign here, he'll be dealt. I'm not too worried. I think with some of the Canucks cap issues, ELC guys are gonna have a leg up getting roster spots so I won't be shocked if McDonough sees opportunity here in Vancouver and signs here either this year or next year.

Linus Karlsson has said that he wants to sign with Vancouver. I think Vancouver management want him signed. I expect a deal to be done and I will not be surprised if he challenges for a roster spot in the Fall. With Motte traded out, and guys like Chiasson & Richardson not expected back, that opens up a couple of spots. And with the potential that Dickinson could be traded in the summer, could be up to 4 spots up for grabs in the bottom six. And with some combo of Karlsson/Lockwood/Klimovich/Focht vying for spots... it'll be an interesting training camp come this Fall.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

RJ Umberger 

Did Umberger have a girlfriend/wife named Kelly as well? 

I thought the reason was because Umberger and his camp couldn't come to an agreement of sorts with Burkie?  Something to do with bonuses?  And the negotiations became confrontational and as beloved Burkie is, he never shied away from being bombastic in dealing with agents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

At this point, NHL teams have gotten smarter about this. If an NCAA draftee is going to opt for free agency, the team that drafted the player just trades him. It has been happening more and more.

Jack McBain got dealt to Arizona from Minnesota.

Adam Fox got shipped from Calgary to Carolina to NYR.

RJ Umberger was traded to NYR from Vancouver, back in the day, when he refused to sign here.

If Aidan McDonough refuses to sign here, he'll be dealt. I'm not too worried. I think with some of the Canucks cap issues, ELC guys are gonna have a leg up getting roster spots so I won't be shocked if McDonough sees opportunity here in Vancouver and signs here either this year or next year.

Linus Karlsson has said that he wants to sign with Vancouver. I think Vancouver management want him signed. I expect a deal to be done and I will not be surprised if he challenges for a roster spot in the Fall. With Motte traded out, and guys like Chiasson & Richardson not expected back, that opens up a couple of spots. And with the potential that Dickinson could be traded in the summer, could be up to 4 spots up for grabs in the bottom six. And with some combo of Karlsson/Lockwood/Klimovich/Focht vying for spots... it'll be an interesting training camp come this Fall.

Exactly, good summary, Justin Schulz was another one

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, brian42 said:

How is Linus at faceoffs? Listed as C/RW hoping he’s been playing center and has a good percentage.  If so and he continues to progress would look nice as our 3rd line center. 

I also wanna know how often he plays centre and his FO%!! But no luck om Google... Will need contribution from Swedish hockey fans to help out here!! 

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I also wanna know how often he plays centre and his FO%!! But no luck om Google... Will need contribution from Swedish hockey fans to help out here!! 

Over 500 faceoffs and sitting 14th win % 

FO.thumb.png.e88c1b0c63ad5b17bde9af11f1f1969b.png

Edited by Baggins
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

72 FO´s taken, 57 FO% and basically all taken in offensive zone. I have watched a lot of Skellefteå games this season and I have not seen him at the center position at all. Maybe there have been couple of games during the season. The line with Rickard Hugg and the center Jonathan Johnson is often commented on in Swedish media as one of, if not the best forward line in Swedish hockey right now. Which is a bit weird considering they are still making out the 2nd line in Skellefteå. Personally I think that the drive behind this is the hype around the line as no one really expected them to be even close to the this level when the season started.

linus karlsson faceoff stats.png

• Thanks 3

On 3/24/2022 at 11:57 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

RJ Umberger 

I think it was actually Patrick McNally in 2010, who ended up signing with San Jose. 

Never became anything, but played out his 4 years in college and left as a PPG defenceman which would have been a good chip to have 

31 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I think it was actually Patrick McNally in 2010, who ended up signing with San Jose. 

Never became anything, but played out his 4 years in college and left as a PPG defenceman which would have been a good chip to have 

Incorrect. He was traded to San Jose.  Canucks didn't want anything to do with him after he got caught cheating on a term paper.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Does Linus play a physical game at all or not really??

He plays beneath the dots well, works hard on the boards and goes to the hard areas. He isn't a perimeter player but he isn't a punishing physical presence like Schenn for example.

If you go back enough in clips I posted he went after a player that had a iffy hit on him.

• Cheers 1