The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I don't understand the hold up.

He’s still under contract to his Swedish team until the world championships are over. No different than with Podz and SKA.

If Sweden is eliminated tomorrow I would imagine the contract is announced shortly after.

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s still under contract to his Swedish team until the world championships are over. No different than with Podz and SKA.

If Sweden is eliminated tomorrow I would imagine the contract is announced shortly after.

I didn't realize the WHC finished before June 1. My B

On 5/18/2022 at 5:19 PM, Googlie said:

According to this, he's shown good FO ability, along with PK prowess (only scored on twice during PK), also has a good shot and can play center.
If he proves ready for the 3rd C role I would be ecstatic.

28 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

According to this, he's shown good FO ability, along with PK prowess (only scored on twice during PK), also has a good shot and can play center.

I'm fully expecting that he sees some time in Abby unless he blows the doors off in training camp and exhibition games

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm fully expecting that he sees some time in Abby unless he blows the doors off in training camp and exhibition games

I could see that.  Even hotshot prospects don't always make it right away.
That being said, him and Klimovich could be quite the tandem.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Unfortunately, Ryan Johnson makes it clear in today's Province article on Karlsson's signing that he will be playing on the wing, as he has shown good ability to play either wing.  This is just great...now we have exactly 0 legitimate prospects at C !:angry:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Unfortunately, Ryan Johnson makes it clear in today's Province article on Karlsson's signing that he will be playing on the wing, as he has shown good ability to play either wing.  This is just great...now we have exactly 0 legitimate prospects at C !:angry:

Ohh what, they should totally give him a shot up the middle!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Ohh what, they should totally give him a shot up the middle!

Especially if he’s playing in Abbotsford.  Let’s develop him as a centre.  He can always switch to wing if centre doesn’t work.  

Isn't Abby supposed to be to develop our young guys?  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Carson Focht and Dmitri Zlodeyev are both illegitimate??  What are the odds of that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2022 at 6:53 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

2010-11 season:

I do not minimize Burke and Nonis’s contributions to the 2010-11 team. But Nonis got fired because team failed to make the playoffs in two of the previous three years. The team failed, not because it did not have high end talent - they had the top two scorers in the league, a great complementary player in Burrows, a superb two way centre in Kesler, a strong third liner in Hansen, a great pair of goalies in Luongo and Schneider, and two excellent defencemen in Edler and Bieksa.

But Nonis had not finished building a Stanley Cup team, and had not made the playoffs in two out of three years of his tenure. There was a reason he was fired. Gillis did two things Nonis had failed to do: he rounded out what might have been the best all round D in the league by adding Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Tanev, Ballard, and Rome to the D. Finished the top six forwards with Samuelson, and provided an excellent bottom six forwards (excepting Hansen came via Nonis).

What else?

First of all, you have to qualify for the playoffs by playing in the regular season.  The team can only use 18 players per game x 82 games means 1476 player games.

Games played by Gillis signings: 871

That’s 60 % of player games played by Gillis signings.

Burke/Nonis had done a good job of finding talent - Burke’s job in acquiring the picks to draft the Sedins was a tour de force. Edler as a third rounder, Bieksa as a fifth? Great! The vastly under-rated Burrows for nothing? Getting a great goalie in a Luongo? That’s a big deal. 

But the team was incomplete, and Nonis had not made a great job of putting together the missing pieces.

Of course, Burke did exactly what Zgillis did when he got to Anaheim - he inherited a rich core and filled in the missing pieces, and collected a a Stanley for hi# trouble. Every GM starts with something.

How many draft picks did Gillis flub in his tenure here? Then look at what Benning inherited versus Gillis. Yes, every GM starts with something, but Gillis left his successor with a lot of bare cupboards.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We should be developing Karlsson as a centre too.  

I think JR will be looking to draft or acquire a young center so developing Karlsson as a center might be less necessary.

He has a better shot making it as a winger.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think JR will be looking to draft or acquire a young center so developing Karlsson as a center might be less necessary.

He has a better shot making it as a winger.

He sure looks looks like a centre.  Very smart player, who uses his hockey sense to be ahead of the play instead of relying on foot speed - which he lacks.  

We have moved Woo to winger, so this new regime will put guys where they feel the player has (like you say) the best chance to have a shot a team making the big club.