The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is it in a nutshell.

Although I do sense Benning & Linden, when they first took over, believed the ship could be turned much faster. Eriksson being an example of them trying to do so.

Before realizing there was retooling rebuilding that word which had to be acted upon to galvanize and unify the fans to do fist.

Here is the thing. This summer is the first time building towards the play off's, with significant moves? Will make sense.  But really only if he can make the right ones.

Panarin, for example, MFW, would he not look fantastic with EP & Boeser? He will have the stickhandling and speed to knife through defences. Keep pace with Quinn Hughes. I'm not so convinced Ferland has the same capacity to feed off Pettersson, even elevate his game. He might not be as big a bust, as say, David Clarkson? But I'm not a believer. I'm only ''ALL IN'' if we can get the right guy.

What Benning has done? We have manufactured the cap space and a logical role for a key LW like Panarin to fill. More importantly a RHD.  I suppose you could lump Tyler Myers in the same discussion I just had about Ferland, relative to Erik Karlsson? I have no doubt they will be making an EK pitch if he hits the market! But I also believe Myers, who has better puck skills, and scored 48 points once, is a large improvement on Guddy.

My own hope is he only goes full Monty if we can recruit true difference makers.  

I see Myers, Ferland and a top 6 winger being the 3 moves this off season. Those moves change this team drastically. 

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Ok Alfie.   your picking top 5 for 4 years at some point you can pick the consensus top 5 and not even be a legitimate GENERAL MANAGER.  kinda default if you ask me

And he's picked

Tryamkin

Forsling

Gaudette

Jasek

Rathbone

Palmu

DiPietro

Brassard

Utunen

Madden 

beyond round 2 your point? 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I see Myers, Ferland and a top 6 winger being the 3 moves this off season. Those moves change this team drastically. 

I really hope Ferland is not one of our key acquisitions. Unless people realize what he should be here for? I would love to see him play with Bo & Jake. A bruising & fast 2knd line. That forechecks & wreaks havoc, damages physically.

But I have zero hope he can dangle and dish with Petey. Calgary got better when they put a ''skill'' player with Gaudreau and Monahan. Calgary got better when they leveraged all this hype into trading him for an actual more highly skilled player. He is not a first line player. Rather, like Burrows, one who can function as one if you don't have a better option.

If Ferland comes in at a slot $ wise, where he fits the long term description of a good role player? Fine.

That aside, there is waaaay to much hype on what Ferland can accomplish for a team. 

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I really hope Ferland is not one of our key acquisitions. Unless people realize what he should be here for? I would love to see him play with Bo & Jake. A bruising & fast 2knd line. That forechecks & wreaks havoc, damages physically.

But I have zero hope he can dangle and dish with Petey. Calgary got better when they put a ''skill'' player with Gaudreau and Monahan. Calgary got better when they leveraged all this hype into trading him for an actual more highly skilled player. He is not a first line player. Rather, like Burrows, one who can function as one if you don't have a better option.

If Ferland comes in at a slot $ wise, where he fits the long term description of a good role player? Fine.

That aside, there is waaaay to much hype on what Ferland can accomplish for a team. 

This team needs a Ferland way too soft without him and he can play on lines 2-4 depending on what kind of roll he is on. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

You do realize he can still make moves at the draft right? If they were looking at moving Tanev and Sutter it's easier to make that deal in the offseason when they're healthy and ready for next year than it is trading them injured at the deadline. 

Of course. Which is why I mentioned "this Summer".  I hope he can move Sutter at least. But we have other bad signings. Do I have to list them?  Is he going to, or even be able to, trade Beagle, Schaller, Granlund?  Instead we add Spooner and Pearson, who may still work out as bridge players, but the jury is still out, and they may too end up as underperfoming space takers next season. Rinse and repeat. 

We have stocked up to over-flowing on average or below average bottom six with term and in the same time lost a promising young top 6 prospect in Dahlen. Without even giving him a decent shot up here. Gained no extra picks this Summer to boot.  We have been trending the wrong way for a few years. Which is excusable if we had been in a real re-build and were playing a team of kids. But we weren't even allowed to utter the R word as early back as last year. 

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Of course. Which is why I mentioned "this Summer".  I hope he can move Sutter at least. But we have other bad signings. Do I have to list them?  Is he going to, or even be able to, trade Beagle, Schaller, Granlund?  Instead we add Spooner and Pearson, who may still work out as bridge players, but the jury is still out, and they may too end up as underperfoming space takers next season. Rinse and repeat. 

We have stocked up to over-flowing on average or below average bottom six with term and in the same time lost a promising young top 6 prospect in Dahlen. Without even giving him a decent shot up here. Gained no extra picks this Summer to boot.  We have been trending the wrong way for a few years. Which is excusable if we had been in a real re-build and were playing a team of kids. But we weren't even allowed to utter the R word as early back as last year. 

They're place holders and don't really effect our cap long term. Sutter is on this team next year tops as Gaudette becomes ready to fill/handle his role. Although I disagree Sutter was a bad signing, just had a terrible run of injuries since getting here. When healthy and in the lineup he's a great player to have on the roster. 

Granlund is easily tradeable there are lots of teams that have use for a player like that, same with Schaller on the right style of team he has value. Neither player is a detriment to our salary cap they make peanuts cap wise and are both moveable. 

One more year of JB and there will likely be a GM change.  

I made posts a couple of years ago about length of tenure for GMs and coaches in the NHL. 

Canadian based team GMs don't last as long as USA based team GMs

To get to next level Canucks are going to need an executive type GM who is good at roster building.  

I like JB but he's just not good at building a roster..   

His UFA signings don't pan out. I'd say Roussel is the only signing I really like of his.  

Need a GM who knows how to put together a winning roster on next step of rebuild.  

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

This team needs a Ferland way too soft without him and he can play on lines 2-4 depending on what kind of roll he is on. 

I'll take that?

As long as we maintain room for actual first line players!  

I have $9.5 Mill x 6 for Panarin? $11 plus for Erik Karlsson x 5 years. $7.5 mill x 5 for Myers. Which is market price for a 2D/3D, not 1D. Otherwise I'm happy with players like Roussel. Another one like him if necessary for the role you prescribe. I don't have $7 mill for 7 years Ferland. He can fluck off as far as I'm concerned. Carolina shopped him. Looked for the return Stone attracted for Ottawa? Did not command it & are stuck with him & his ask of first line money long term. And he's going to walk.

If Ferland does not receive a $50 mill offer as a free agent? And August 1st comes around, and with his tail between his legs, accepts 2knd line money $5.5 x 4 years? 

I'll drive to the airport and pick him up!  

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I made posts a couple of years ago about length of tenure for GMs and coaches in the NHL. 

To get to next level Canucks are going to need an executive type GM who is good at roster building.  

His UFA signings don't pan out. I'd say Roussel is the only signing I really like of his.  

Need a GM who knows how to put together a winning roster on next step of rebuild.  

I personally don't agree with this outlook? I have more time for JB.

But I don't dispute it might be a reality...

Can someone enlighten us on what draft choices the Canucks currently have in the bank?  I know that the big choice is part of the lottery, etc but do the Canucks have anybody else's choices through trades, deals, etc?

30 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I concur. I have a gut feeling Jimbo won’t be at the helm when the Canucks make the playoffs next. I’ve been a “skeptic supporter” of his since he was brought in and continue to back him even though his resume is spotty outside of a few draft picks. However, like you said; the shelf life of a GM is limited when he’s running a team mired in adversity and poor performance. 

Ive been thinking about it a lot lately and the hope that we are just another top 5 pick and a UFA D away is ludacris. With the way things are going this team is another 3-4 years away from contention unless bold changes are made. 

8 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I concur. I have a gut feeling Jimbo won’t be at the helm when the Canucks make the playoffs next. I’ve been a “skeptic supporter” of his since he was brought in and continue to back him even though his resume is spotty outside of a few draft picks. However, like you said; the shelf life of a GM is limited when he’s running a team mired in adversity and poor performance. 

Ive been thinking about it a lot lately and the hope that we are just another top 5 pick and a UFA D away is ludacris. With the way things are going this team is another 3-4 years away from contention unless bold changes are made. 

3 or 4 years for contention for playoffs or for Cup?

Imo when this team contends for a Cup only 6 to 8 players on current team will be on the cup contendimg team.

This team needs a lot more talent, skill, size, physicality and development before they can think about contending for a Cup. 

A cup contender needs multiple stars at forward and defense.  Need a Norris type Dman and a very deep team.

This team needs a big overhaul before they are cup contenders.  

3 more top 6 wingers. 2 top pair Dmen  including a puck moving RH elite Dman like Calsson WSH or Karlsson SJS. And an top tier shut down 3c and a very good 4c

This team may never become a Cup contender. All depends on how the roster is built before knowing if this team will be contenders.

They might blow it up and start another rebuild in 7 or 8 years..

EP Horvat Boeser Gaudette Hutton Stech are the core. 

We don't know how Virtanen is going to pan out yet so he's a 50/50.

Lots of team building trading drafting developing to go before we know if this core will become a Cup contender one day.. 

Hughes looks good but he's still a prospect. Hes also realistically expected to be part of the core. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

They should consider keep JB on for scouting cheif and draft consultant maybe though eh

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

This shows you don't pay attention to the rest of thenlesgue

Utonen, Madden, Brassard, Palmu?   Every team in the league has prospects like this.  What have any of these kids done other than get hyped up on this website?    Why you use them as examples is beyond me, until they prove they can produce at  professional level they are just late round prospects.  Every team has them

They're promising players who were picked beyond the second round, not sure things. But still solid picks...

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

3 or 4 years for contention for playoffs or for Cup?

Imo when this team contends for a Cup only 6 to 8 players on current team will be on the cup contendimg team.

This team needs a lot more talent, skill, size, physicality and development before they can think about contending for a Cup. 

A cup contender needs multiple stars at forward and defense.  Need a Norris type Dman and a very deep team.

This team needs a big overhaul before they are cup contenders.  

3 more top 6 wingers. 2 top pair Dmen  including a puck moving RH elite Dman like Calsson WSH or Karlsson SJS. And an top tier shut down 3c and a very good 4c

This team may never become a Cup contender. All depends on how the roster is built before knowing if this team will be contenders.

They might blow it up and start another rebuild in 7 or 8 years..

EP Horvat Boeser Gaudette Hutton Stech are the core. 

We don't know how Virtanen is going to pan out yet so he's a 50/50.

Lots of team building trading drafting developing to go before we know if this core will become a Cup contender one day.. 

Hughes looks good but he's still a prospect. Hes also realistically expected to be part of the core. 

Gadj and Lind could be in the middle six but yeah if Virt doesnt work out top 6 its 3 players so far out 6 needed.. Lots of work. Really needed 2 multi 1st rounders the last 5 years. Since guddy is gone there no other multi 1st round drafts at all. Rebuild will be slowed for that. Keeping everyone till they retire is a recipe for this exact case. We've traded no one worth a 1st when they still were other than Kesler since forever. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:28 PM, The 5th Line said:

Promising and solid picks based on what,?  Cdc's homer perception?  If you want, I'll go to every teams late round draft history from the past few seasons and pick a few guys who look "promising".

Promising based on numerous scouting reports. Just disputing that Benning has done well beyond top 10 picks. Not sure why you have to have such a hissy fit over some positivity. 

Nor does talking about good dark horse prospects here discredit my view on the rest of the league. Get over yourself. 

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:
3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

But they did state they were not rebuilding, both of them, albeit i think they are rebuilding since last year.

Everyone with a shred of knowledge could see the rebuild started, as you can see by current threads this market like Toronto and Montreal can't handle a rebuild. Which is why they didn't outright say it.

But TO did/is and Montreal hasn't needed to, they just keep re-tooling.

All the rebuild talk is just a smokescreen to stop looking at the past (learning) to build the future.

Archived