The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

One bad game and the whole place is mental. 

Cheapest entertainment you can find. 

Steely eyed Canuck fan crawled out from under the table, kicked empty beer bottle aside, and cries " Is that the best you got?" We've been here for 50 years and ain't going anywhere. :frantic: 

19 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

RETOOL, REBUILD ON THE FLY, REBUILD, in that order, looks to me like a selfish job preservation model. lol

Tell me how it is selfish to want to keep your job.

So many people seem to view running a team as overly simplistic. Just win every trade, draft every star and only sign players who are guaranteed to be good. I mean how hard is it to look at Craig Button's or Bob MacKenzie's draft list and just take BPA? Gawd, a GM's job is so easy!

There is a plan in place. You don't have to like it or agree with it and despite whatever drivel falls out of your collective mouths, you have to accept it because you don't have control over it with one exception - your pocketbook.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

Oh ya not disagreeing with that.    Your right about the pocket book.   I used to give them at least a 1000 a year, and the past 3 years I have taken my sons to 1 game per year only because their favorite team was in town.     It's going to be interesting with Seattle coming into the league, as us west coasters will now have a viable option.  Canucks better hope they are not floundering at that time, or the expansion team may be dipping into Aquilini's pocket.

I think JB has done a very good job building up our current prospect pool.  We have some good pieces here now, and coming up soon.  I do wonder if JB is the right guy to make the important trades and UFA signings, once the rebuild is done with the core, to take us to being a Cup contender.  

I really think we need EK and a top winger (Parnarin?)  

I'd like to see our D have a big change:

EK - Hughes

OJ - Stecher

Hutton - ?

Here’s the problem judging JB on signings the past 3 seasons with the exception of Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson FA signings have been place holders for the rebuild. 

Benning hasn't had a FA season where the goal was win now. So it is silly to compare his signings to GM’s in win now mode. 

Beagle has been as advertised with a couple bad games here and there. Overall stabilizes our PK and bottom 6.

Roussel has been a spark plug who can score. Draws nearly as many calls as he takes and sticks up for teammates when needed. 

Eriksson has been great defensively, disaster offensively. 

Guys like Gagner, Del Zotto, Bartkowski, soon  Schaller etc. All been/going to be (Schaller) moved or not signed. 

This off season will likely be the first where Benning starts making moves that move this towards being a playoff team. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Here’s the problem judging JB on signings the past 3 seasons with the exception of Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson FA signings have been place holders for the rebuild. 

Benning hasn't had a FA season where the goal was win now. So it is silly to compare his signings to GM’s in win now mode. 

Beagle has been as advertised with a couple bad games here and there. Overall stabilizes our PK and bottom 6.

Roussel has been a spark plug who can score. Draws nearly as many calls as he takes and sticks up for teammates when needed. 

Eriksson has been great defensively, disaster offensively. 

Guys like Gagner, Del Zotto, Bartkowski, soon  Schaller etc. All been/going to be (Schaller) moved or not signed. 

This off season will likely be the first where Benning starts making moves that move this towards being a playoff team. 

5th time is the charm eh? ;)

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

They weren't building a winner, they were rebuilding. Just because they didn't spell it out for you doesn't mean they weren't rebuilding...

But they did state they were not rebuilding, both of them, albeit is think they are rebuilding since last year.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

But they did state they were not rebuilding, both of them, albeit is think they are rebuilding since last year.

Everyone with a shred of knowledge could see the rebuild started, as you can see by current threads this market like Toronto and Montreal can't handle a rebuild. Which is why they didn't outright say it. 

For a while there, it looked to me like Benning was trying to build a Vegas type team. A bunch of reclamation projects that were getting another chance at doing something significant in the league. They were castoffs, not protected by their former teams. They played as a real team, underdogs with a big chip on their shoulders. And they've been having a lot of success.  Benning brought in Leivo, Roussel, Beagle, Spooner, Pearson, Motte and Schaller. Now, I do like Leivo, Roussel, Beagle and Motte, but not convinced the others were necessary.

Also, he didn't address the team's biggest problem - Defence. In fact, he traded our biggest Dman who was a right-shot. They went on and on 2 years ago how Guddy was captain material lol okay. 

The last time I can recall the Canucks signed a big named player was Mats Sundin, for those 2 months. I think Mats made a hundred million or something for those games (jk, lol) Obviously, that didn't work, but I guess it made the Sedins happy.

It's time that Benning swings for the fences this off season. No more bottom 6 players Jim, this team needs a #1LW (Panarin, Skinner, Ferland) and a Dman. Yes, Q. Hughes is coming, but he's still a kid and will be learning. Same with Juolevi, if he's ready. Benning has a lot of work to do, but I'm now thinking his time may be up soon unless he hits a home run this off season. Not just the Draft.

I've never understood the obsession with the term "rebuild". They're clearly trying to construct the team of the future, and in the meantime they have games to play. I  would imagine that trying to build/maintain a present roster, in the situation they have been in, without spending heavily from future resources is challenging . 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Uh, what world are you living in?  When hired Jim stated he loved our core and would have things "turned around in a hurry."  Trevor stated how a rebuild would be unfair to the Sedins.

Vrbata, Miller, Erikksson, Prust, Vey, Baertshchi... all the moves he was making were to get the team into the playoffs.  

He was trading for NHL ready prospects and signing old free agents to compete now.  If he was doing things for the future he would have been trading for picks.

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Uh, what world are you living in?  When hired Jim stated he loved our core and would have things "turned around in a hurry."  Trevor stated how a rebuild would be unfair to the Sedins.

Vrbata, Miller, Erikksson, Prust, Vey, Baertshchi... all the moves he was making were to get the team into the playoffs.  

He was trading for NHL ready prospects and signing old free agents to compete now.  If he was doing things for the future he would have been trading for picks.

Note the last 3 years part. Not right when he took over...

14 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

He's going to get an opportunity to make some drastic changes this summer. However ,if he does not make the post season next year, he will be replaced.

You cannot expect fans to be that patient (6 years),with no tangible results.

I don't think the Canucks need to make the playoffs next year to save Benning's job, but there needs to be a tangible improvement in the standings, on paper and for the future outlook.

There will need to be a strong feeling of us "yes, this team will be a legit contender very soon". Even with Pettersson being better than all of us could have imagined, that feeling doesn't exist right now. If it still doesn't exist this time next year, I think Benning is in trouble.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I don't think the Canucks need to make the playoffs next year to save Benning's job, but there needs to be a tangible improvement in the standings, on paper and for the future outlook.

There will need to be a strong feeling of us "yes, this team will be a legit contender very soon". Even with Pettersson being better than all of us could have imagined, that feeling doesn't exist right now. If it still doesn't exist this time next year, I think Benning is in trouble.

I agree with this, this off season is about moves that make us a playoff contender for next year and the year after. And how the prospects turn out determines our moves 3 and 4 years from now. 

It finally is dawning, hopefully, on Aqualini and JB that a failed "re-tool" is much worse than the pain of a normal "re-build".  We are 5 years behind, and saddled with ridiculous multiyear overpaid plugs that have to either play, or be traded away. And what is JB going to get for players that were castoffs already, and whose numbers are even worse since joining the Canucks?  JB has gotten us into a pickle. Our ship is about 4 grunts too heavy.  And this below average veteran "un-build" is undermining any "re-build". 

JB, on the whole, has been a disaster on the free agent signing front. How many of his FA signings have been successful?  Baertschi , maybe Leivo?  If he had even been mildly more successful in this department, and the vets he signed could take up the slack when our young stars are in slumps, but they can't. Its now obvious. Its a mess, and I just pray that JB ...A. Realizes he simply must not continue this castoff un-build, and B. Manages to hoodwink other GMs into trading these plugs for prospects or picks this Summer. (Although it sure would have been nice to have traded a few already for picks THIS Summer).

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

This off season will likely be the first where Benning starts making moves that move this towards being a playoff team

This is it in a nutshell.

Although I do sense Benning & Linden, when they first took over, believed the ship could be turned much faster. Eriksson being an example of them trying to do so.

Before realizing there was retooling rebuilding that word which had to be acted upon to galvanize and unify the fans to do fist.

Here is the thing. This summer is the first time building towards the play off's, with significant moves? Will make sense.  But really only if he can make the right ones.

Panarin, for example, MFW, would he not look fantastic with EP & Boeser? He will have the stickhandling and speed to knife through defences. Keep pace with Quinn Hughes. I'm not so convinced Ferland has the same capacity. He might not be as big a bust, as say, David Clarkson? But I'm not a believer. I'm only ''ALL IN'' if we can get the right guy.

What Benning has done? We have manufactured the cap space and a logical role for a key LW like Panarin to fill. More importantly a RHD.  I suppose you could lump Tyler Myers in the same discussion I just had about Ferland, relative to Erik Karlsson? I have no doubt they will be making an EK pitch if he hits the market! But I also believe Myers, who has better puck skills, and scored 48 points once, is a large improvement on Guddy.

My own hope is he only goes full Monty if we can recruit true difference makers.  

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

It finally is dawning, hopefully, on Aqualini and JB that a failed "re-tool" is much worse than the pain of a normal "re-build".  We are 5 years behind, and saddled with ridiculous multiyear overpaid plugs that have to either play, or be traded away. And what is JB going to get for players that were castoffs already, and whose numbers are even worse since joining the Canucks?  JB has gotten us into a pickle. Our ship is about 4 grunts too heavy.  And this below average veteran "un-build" is undermining any "re-build". 

JB, on the whole, has been a disaster on the free agent signing front. How many of his FA signings have been successful?  Baertschi , maybe Leivo?  If he had even been mildly more successful in this department, and the vets he signed could take up the slack when our young stars are in slumps, but they can't. Its now obvious. Its a mess, and I just pray that JB ...A. Realizes he simply must not continue this castoff un-build, and B. Manages to hoodwink other GMs into trading these plugs for prospects or picks this Summer. (Although it sure would have been nice to have traded a few already for picks THIS Summer).

You do realize he can still make moves at the draft right? If they were looking at moving Tanev and Sutter it's easier to make that deal in the offseason when they're healthy and ready for next year than it is trading them injured at the deadline. 

Archived