The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

14 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

But TO did/is and Montreal hasn't needed to, they just keep re-tooling.

All the rebuild talk is just a smokescreen to stop looking at the past (learning) to build the future.

Toronto’s “rebuild” has taken 13 years because they delayed the rebuild for so long they aged and sucked for years because they refused to actually rebuild. Mind boggling how the tank crew such as yourself and other TO lovers try to deny it. 

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Buffalo just knocking their drafts out of the parks.  Check out these late round steals. The one dude very similar size and league as Madden.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=192057

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=178965

It's only taken them since, I dunno, Pat Lafontaine days to get there.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Toronto’s “rebuild” has taken 13 years because they delayed the rebuild for so long aged and sucked for years because they refused to actually rebuild. Mind boggling how the tank crew such as yourself and other TO lovers try to deny it. 

To me rebuilds happen, and they are either good, mediocre, or bad.  TO had a couple stinkers, and then got lucky at the draft lotto and in Free Agency.  Now they have a rebuild that is a good one.  (&*%* them.  I hate them.)

We are in our first rebuild right now.  We will see how it turns out (good, mediocre, or bad) in a couple more years.  If it's mediocre or bad, we will start again.  

The Habs are retooling, yes, but they are only mediocre, which is not where a team wants to be.  That means mediocre players coming out of the draft.  (by percentages)

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Buffalo just knocking their drafts out of the park. Check out these late round steals. The one dude very similar size and league as Madden.

I don't disagree, I was discussing Canucks picks, not league wide picks. 

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Buffalo just knocking their drafts out of the parks.  Check out these late round steals. The one dude very similar size and league as Madden.

I agree the Sabres have some great looking young talent.  Are they doing a Coiler though, by giving those young guys too much responsibility (and coin) too soon?  I look at guys like Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and Middlestadt and wonder if they are not going to get any better.  Their defensive awareness is not really developing.  Yes they will put up points, but will they ever be any good?

42 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

They should consider keep JB on for scouting cheif and draft consultant maybe though eh

Ya I've proposed that idea before but new GM may not want that set up and JB may not agree to that either.  

Judd Brackett handles the scouting and drafting so it wont make much difference. 

33 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Toronto’s “rebuild” has taken 13 years because they delayed the rebuild for so long aged and sucked for years because they refused to actually rebuild. Mind boggling how the tank crew such as yourself and other TO lovers try to deny it. 

TO's lengthy rebuild was the direct result of ownership only caring about making money, they were a retirement fund for awhile, they stayed out of hockey operations as long as the team made money. TO recent rebuild started the day they hired Shanahan 5 years ago, they got lucky getting Mathews but easily could have had Laine or Tkachuk and still signed Taveras so just more money for contracts.

The tank crew? Again how many times have I posted that the new draft rules only improve chances not sure things, well a sure thing as far as drafting three spot back.

I have no idea what your preferences are for the team that are even realistic. There is a reason Benning is overpaying and giving long term clause contracts to 30 somethings.

What is your ideal team? Sitting just around the last wild card spot? If not where does the team get it's star players from, the AHL?

Where do elite, generational or star players come from? The ether? Under cabbage leaves? A player just decides to be better than everyone else? I suspect you believe Sven Baertschi is a super star, a 26 yr old player that has never scored 20 goals?

The players are not tanking, they are playing their very best, trying their hardest. Unfortunately as a group they are just not in the same conversation as most playoff teams.

Benning was a rookie GM and not directly responsible for scouting or drafting for a number of years.

Just listing his time here without commentary results in tags of negativity to the poster, a copy of the standings over a four year period is worthy of being burned in effigy. Listing trades, contract signings, contract amount or terms is negativity for the poster. Any of these is negative by some posters, what they fail to see is these are just facts and figures without comment so the facts and figures are negative, so as a result THEY are condemning Benning and his work as being negative.

Just list his FA signings, contract amounts, term clauses if any and age of player.

Count how many are essentially using up roster spots for all those draft picks from 3/4 years ago the fandom were hyped about.

Under Bennings watch our prospect pool has gone from 21st to 3rd in the league. All his signings save for Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel have been place holders and moved/not re-signed upon being usurped. Benning hasn't done as bad of a job as you and the myopic crew try to lead people to believe. 

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

TO's lengthy rebuild was the direct result of ownership only caring about making money, they were a retirement fund for awhile, they stayed out of hockey operations as long as the team made money. TO recent rebuild started the day they hired Shanahan 5 years ago, they got lucky getting Mathews but easily could have had Laine or Tkachuk and still signed Taveras so just more money for contracts.

The tank crew? Again how many times have I posted that the new draft rules only improve chances not sure things, well a sure thing as far as drafting three spot back.

I have no idea what your preferences are for the team that are even realistic. There is a reason Benning is overpaying and giving long term clause contracts to 30 somethings.

What is your ideal team? Sitting just around the last wild card spot? If not where does the team get it's star players from, the AHL?

Where do elite, generational or star players come from? The ether? Under cabbage leaves? A player just decides to be better than everyone else? I suspect you believe Sven Baertschi is a super star, a 26 yr old player that has never scored 20 goals?

The players are not tanking, they are playing their very best, trying their hardest. Unfortunately as a group they are just not in the same conversation as most playoff teams.

Benning was a rookie GM and not directly responsible for scouting or drafting for a number of years.

Just listing his time here without commentary results in tags of negativity to the poster, a copy of the standings over a four year period is worthy of being burned in effigy. Listing trades, contract signings, contract amount or terms is negativity for the poster. Any of these is negative by some posters, what they fail to see is these are just facts and figures without comment so the facts and figures are negative, so as a result THEY are condemning Benning and his work as being negative.

Just list his FA signings, contract amounts, term clauses if any and age of player.

Count how many are essentially using up roster spots for all those draft picks from 3/4 years ago the fandom were hyped about.

So cut to chase....what the eff are you saying exactly. For the most part I am just reading random BS. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Toronto is going to be out in the first round again. No way they beat BOS. 

Lol. Toronto media going to be making a big fuss about playoff format again. 

Trying to win 6-3 isn't a good playoff formula :lol:

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Under Bennings watch our prospect pool has gone from 21st to 3rd in the league. All his signings save for Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel have been place holders and moved/not re-signed upon being usurped. Benning hasn't done as bad of a job as you and the myopic crew try to lead people to believe. 

He’s iced several expensive rosters during the ‘rebuild’, agreed. Did he need to? Who knows. 

Let’s give Benning full credit for replenishing the prospect pool. No question, 

If sucking and getting to pick high in the draft for years on end is the measure of a decent GM, then you or I should apply for that gig. 

Benning has done one thing right, the pool, but that’s partly due to doing poorly in other areas. 

I could get us a top 7 pick next year too. I could do that for several seasons in a row and rebuild any prospect pool if Judd is doing my drafting. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

He’s iced several expensive rosters during the ‘rebuild’, agreed. Did he need to? Who knows. 

Let’s give Benning full credit for replenishing the prospect pool. No question, 

If sucking and getting to pick high in the draft for years on end is the measure of a decent GM, then you or I should apply for that gig. 

Benning has done one thing right, the pool, but that’s partly due to doing poorly in other areas. 

If could get us a top 7 pick next year too. I could do that for several seasons in a row and rebuild any prospect pool if Judd is doing my drafting. 

Again though, outside his first 2 seasons here he's been rebuilding. What he does over the next 2 seasons will be the test to see if he is the guy who sets up and brings this team deep into the playoffs. 

With the disaster in Edmonton under Chiarelli it's looking more and more like he was a big part of the brains behind what went on in Boston. 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again though, outside his first 2 seasons here he's been rebuilding. What he does over the next 2 seasons will be the test to see if he is the guy who sets up and brings this team deep into the playoffs. 

With the disaster in Edmonton under Chiarelli it's looking more and more like he was a big part of the brains behind what went on in Boston. 

Well, you know I will be here, unreserved in my desire to express my thoughts about his moves. I’m guessing you will be as well. 

I am not optimistic, and with good reason, that JB will manage to acquire some quality picks ahead of the draft, but if he does, I will stop yelling at clouds, a bit... 

Excellent in late round drafting

tryamkin, forsling, Gaudette, Lockwood, Madden, DiPietro, rathbone, utunen 

pretty good 2nd round drafting- Demko, woo, but Lind/Gadjovich - meh... would have benefited from more 2nd rounders

huge hits in EP and BB

traded too many picks away early on - sutter, baertschi, vey 

huge misses in JV, JM and OJ considering what could have been (pastranak, Tkachuk, Ehlers)

no really strong trades, trades mostly deck chair shuffling, sane with signings, done good ones but nothing that moved the needle.

IMO

3 things to make playoffs otherwise JB gone next spring.

1. If we do not get to draft top 2. Need to sign Panarin. If draft top 2, sign one of skinner, Nelson, Lee, dzingel??? Duchenne??

2. Take 2020 1st and package with pieces like DiPietro, goldy, Karlsson and Hutton to get a really strong right shot D man via trade, - ristoleinen? Rumored to be available. ? One of the Carolina d men? Faulk, Slavin ?pesce?

3. Resign Edler to reasonable contract, consider signing jake Gardner if he will be a big improvement over Hutton and stay away from Myers.

JB has never signed a top UFA here and has not made a rostering -impacting trade here. He needs to do this or else he is cooked.

panarin Petey Boess

paerson Bo Leivo 

rouseel Gaudette virtanen

beagle Sutter Motte

Edler Ristoleinen

gardner Strcher

hughes Tanev 

hutton, 2020 1st, DiPietro, goldy to BUF for Risto and 2019 2nd, that's an overpayment IMO, but I think BUF would be silly to not do that trade. Goldy could break out in the eastern conference on a team with some good offensive players and he would be insurance if they do not keep skinner. BUF's biggest organizational need prospect wise is goaltending and Dip fills that.

granlund, beartschi, gone

ericksson buyout

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Buffalo just knocking their drafts out of the park. Check out these late round steals. The one dude very similar size and league as Madden.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=17896

Avalanche building a late round dynasty..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=188159

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176331

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170344

This is like CDC projecting Hutton was going to be a top pairing D his second year in college. Or Jordan Subban, or Frankie Corrado?

They all had good statistics & similar profiles the years directly after their draft.

You have no idea how well these guys will adapt as pro's. 

Scouting is about guys with blazing reflexes, a great skating stride & superb displayed instincts, skills with the puck? Strength and endurance in puck battles, and applying defensive pressure. Or stopping the puck in the case of your goalie? If they had those things leading up to the draft, they would have been first or 2knd rounders.

In the meantime, its about them developing those characteristics. Through intense training, practice, upgrading the level of competition & practice.  But here we are parroting them as examples of great drafting by other teams because they are killing it in overage junior years.. Buffalo? Who has Rasmus Asplund & Alex Nylander where their fan base is asking, like we did with Jake, when are they going to turn the corner from this hot prospect we keep hearing about?  I would be shocked if more than one of those 5 became full time NHL players.

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=17896

?

Brandon Hagel is not a Sabre.  They didn't sign him - Chicago did after Buffalo let his rights expire.

And he's a 20 yr old overager in the WHL = not exactly a "steal".  

Lots of relatively average prospects produce 'impressive' numbers as 20 yr olds in the Dub.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well neither JB nor Chirelli can trade worth $&!#.   So it must have been someone else in Boston

seriously....  So you cringe when you think about JBs future trades?  I do.... same with FA signings.  But we have needed - and will continue to need drafting.

Gillis for trades and FA.   JB for drafting.  If you can only have one I’d choose drafting.... so im a JB supporter.  Its tough to get all 3 - but without drafting you will suck its just a matter of time.

Talk of the day on 1040 has been Jim Benning's job security. Which started with Ed Willies piece this morning.

Ive said I think Pettersson has bought Benning time, and i dont see a change coming for atleast another year or 2. But, maybe if the team plays like this the rest of the way ownership thinks more about it. Thats about the only way I could see a change.

The one thing is, at the end of the season (assuming Benning's around) he needs to clearly layout for this market what the plan is.

Jpat made a good comment today about how Bennings been saying lately that they have a plan, & yet we arent really sure what the plan is. I havent been totally what exactly the plan has been from the beginning. Its been a foot in each door alot of the way. And when Linden/Benning were asked I think last year about a timeline for this team they couldnt even give an answer. 

So thats the one thing Id like at the end of the season, for Benning to come & articulate what the plan is exactly, how they plan to act on it, and what they think the timeline is.

Archived