The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle's Mayor accidentally leaks future team's name?

Rate this topic

On 4/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/seattle-s-mayor-accidentally-leaks-name-for-future-nhl-team?fbclid=IwAR04O3qPp4434cDpVYzOhB0GPKYnDj-d-JqUfXI3g0QzXmnp3-02eEHN7dc

The Seattle Kraken? What do you guys think? Personally, I think it sucks...not sure how a mythical monster from Norway represents Seattle.

kra·ken

/ˈkräkən/

noun

an enormous mythical sea monster said to appear off the coast of Norway.

Check out the comments....someone says 'Seattle Krackheads'....fitting as drug use and homelessness has risen greatly in Seattle recently.

Yes, the name Seattle Krackheads fits nicely with the surrounding cities nicknames, Tacompton (Tacoma), and Ever-Rot (Everett). Hopefully they incorporate some safe injection sites into the refurbished Key Arena and allow a tent city at ice level between home games. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Give the homeless a place to sleep and a revenue generating sports arena. 

On 4/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, Lancaster said:

When I think of the "Pacific Northwest", I think of evergreen trees, totem poles, orcas, eagles, salmon, bears, sasquatch, etc.  

Seattle Sasquatch. Beautiful man. Fits perfect. Seattle Seahawks, Storm, Super Sonic's, Sasquatch. It's specific to the region and also fierce and mythical like the Kraken.

• 3 weeks later...

All the suggested names by the so called experts who compiled the list suck. Here's a breakdown: First Eagles and Cougars. Who thought it was OK to name a team from Seattle with a name from an Eastern rival? East Washington Eagles/ Washington State cougars. Next up Whales. Again Vancouver will be it's rival and oh look the emblem on their shirt is a WHALE. Not only does Whales sound lame and unimaginative but even if they called themselves the Orcas (which would be okay) their RIVAL has a whale as their emblem. Then you got Sea Lions and Seals. Two names for very similar creatures. OBVIOUS no thought went into that list. Also California Golden Seals anyone? Dumb and lame names. Lets move on to Emeralds. at least make it singular. No one will be afraid of a few gemstones. Emerald would represent the color of the city but again really? Not very creative and not very intimidating. Firebirds and Renegades and no relevance to the region. Rainier's and Evergreens again trying to tie in the state with unimaginative names for a team. Sockeyes? Of all the salmon names (again salmon - no one are afraid of salmon). At least call the Steelheads. Sounds tougher than Sockeyes. Plus the obvious insult that will come from this name the COCKeyes. The Totems was the old name for their semi-professional team. Not great but if you are going with the past you have to go Metropolitans which was after all the first US team to win the Stanley Cup. Why would you pick Totems over the Metropolitans?

Personally there are lots of good names that could be used and more relevant and more intimidating. Seattle Tsunami (doesn't have an "S" last name but sounds like it does) also represents the fact the region is known for earthquakes which could create said Tsunami. It also says power, unexpected, overwhelming and devastating. Seattle Eruption (as Mount Rainier is right there and still an active volcano if not dormant right now) or Seattle Sasquatch which at least is a mythical/ or supposed creature of the Pacific Northwest unlike the Kraken. Well there's my thoughts on this.

• Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, 112 said:

I lost three friends to overdoses last year.

It hurts every time I read something like that.

I spent years of my life either chronically or episodically homeless, so I've a lot of friends and acquaintances who use heavy substances. They're not psychopathic, hedonistic fiends who want to &^@# everyone over; they're people who want to love and be loved, who are more than their use, and who--under the weight of what are extremely difficult disorders to live with--unfortunately cause a lot of harm. But they're always the people who suffer most.

I have never had an addiction to anything but nicotine (i know that's still super yuck but it's not meth at least lol), and I consider it luck more than anything to do with my character that I've managed to stay clean and on a healthier course than many of my brothers and sisters of the streets. There are so many variables that are involved when someone starts using something; to call it choice is stupid when so many people get into these things because of the burdens of traumatic pasts and abject homelessness.

I used heroin once. I bought a bunch of it because I was tempted to suicide. I decided I was going to test a small bit of it to enjoy a high before I took enough to kill me. So I put some weed in my bong, some nicotine in it as well, and topped it off with the tiniest bit of diamorphine. Then I had second thoughts and decided to take the heroin out of the bong, not get addicted, and just smoke the weed/tobacco. But there must have still been traces of it in there because I had the best high of my life: euphoria and absolute contentedness with the $&!#show that is my life. It was incredible. So I disposed of all the dope because I realized, under the power of the high, that I would lose my life to it if I didn't toss all of it right then and there. And so I'm still around.

I don't know why my friends and people got into using what they do. But when I almost fell into it for the reasons I did, I have a very difficult time believing that addiction is a 'choice' in the full and strict sense of the word.

PS- give mafia a second chance. ;)

Dude I have lots of experience with addiction I'm addicted to nicotine and I've been clean and sober off opiates for almost three years. I know exactly what you're talking about I've had the exact same experiences you've had. I was hooked on weed for a while but it's not chemically addictive it's more habit forming. Not that hard to quit. But opiates man I was hooked all I could think about was my next fix. Luckily I ran into a very good doctor who took me under his wing for a while and gave me suboxone which has been a life saver for me. No more opiates for me. Just living life clean and sober. I've had several friends be homeless as well. I've never been homeless myself but I know other people who have. I even have a friend right now who lives on the street on Laurel and Broadway. It's really close to my apartment so every time I see him we exchange pleasantries I give him a hug and we talk about how he's doing. Luckily all he does is smoke weed he doesn't do hard drugs so he's fine. It's really easy to kill yourself with opiates BTW man I've had like three overdoses from it which is actually really bad. One time I was staying with my parents at their place in Richmond and they found me in my room and apparently my lips were turning blue and I was barely breathing. They called 911 and luckily the ambulance got there in time and I was eventually fine after getting some NarCan. 

PS I didn't have a clue how to play Mafia in the first place and I got eliminated right away so IDK if I'm gonna participate again 

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I've seen you say this before and you're completely wrong. Addiction is a disease. You clearly have zero experience with it. 

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. 

With all do respect, that's your opinion and not actually fact and nothing you say is going to change my mind. While being addicted can, by definition, be called a disease, there was a choice made to put that disease upon yourself. There are very rare cases which people had it forced upon them as children and could not recover. I understand that. However the majority of cases are self inflicted.

And for you to say I have no experience with addiction is false.

Edit: that post was from April. I believe you have quoted me more than once from the same post.

Edited by Baer.

4 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I've seen you say this before and you're completely wrong. Addiction is a disease. You clearly have zero experience with it. 

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. 

Are we sure, scientifically, that’s correct?  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are we sure, scientifically, that’s correct?  

Alf had you had any PERSONAL DIRECT experience with addiction 

4 hours ago, Baer. said:

With all do respect, that's your opinion and not actually fact and nothing you say is going to change my mind. While being addicted can, by definition, be called a disease, there was a choice made to put that disease upon yourself. There are very rare cases which people had it forced upon them as children and could not recover. I understand that. However the majority of cases are self inflicted.

Edit: that post was from April. I believe you have quoted me more than once from the same post.

Have you ever been addicted to anything Baer? 

5 hours ago, Baer. said:

That is incredibly arrogant to imply that your own opinion is a "fact".

If what people say isn't going to "change your mind", why are you trying to change other people's minds?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

That is incredibly arrogant to imply that your own opinion is a "fact".

If what people say isn't going to "change your mind", why are you trying to change other people's minds?

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind.

14 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

I'm gonna marry the two sides of this discussion.

It is a choice to use. no one is force feeding you the drugs. but that choice is heavily influenced by trauma, abuse, depression, mental illness, etc. you live your life in pain for so long that when the opportunity comes to ingest something to make it better is almost impossible to pass up psychologically.

you're not technically wrong to say it's a choice, but you do lack empathy and a complete understanding of how addiction happens.

Ok I will admit it is an insensitive statement at the least. But I stand by my belief.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind.

Considering how you are telling people what is is true or false about drug addiction, umm.. yeah, you are.

If you are not interested in having a lengthy discussion about it, why bother posting?

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Ok I will admit it is an insensitive statement at the least. But I stand by my belief.

Here's the thing: nobody asked for your belief. :rolleyes: You're obviously not an expert on drug addiction.