The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire : Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

xereau

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've been to Vatican City and walked through the museum. The sheer amount of gold and precious stones is beyond measure. Not really reflective of the son of a carpenter.

No high priest was the son of a carpenter.

French are spending their own money to rebuild one of the most significant stractures in Europe.

It is not even tax deductible for some, yet people are still complaining, oy vey!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/billionaires-raced-to-pledge-money-to-rebuild-notre-dame-then-came-the-backlash/2019/04/18/7133f9a2-617c-11e9-bf24-db4b9fb62aa2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.beb65c6bb5b2

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

French are spending their own money to rebuild one of the most significant stractures in Europe.

It is not even tax deductible for some, yet people are still complaining, oy vey!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/billionaires-raced-to-pledge-money-to-rebuild-notre-dame-then-came-the-backlash/2019/04/18/7133f9a2-617c-11e9-bf24-db4b9fb62aa2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.beb65c6bb5b2

Who's complaining?

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have to confess (pun intended) that I felt the same way when I heard that two French billionaires had stepped up to donate money to help with the restoration.

I can only hope that they're as generous when it comes to the truly underprivileged.

Notre Dame is a more important structure to France than exists in Canada.  I dare say it is the most important structure in France period.  Not to mention the location.  Ile de la Cite is a small island in the river Seine where the City of Paris was founded for defensive reasons.  Notre Dame dominates the centre of Paris and is still the tallest building.  It remains so out of respect.  This is so for religious reasons in a religious country and also for patriotic reasons in a very patriotic country.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/18/2019 at 9:40 PM, Crabcakes said:

Notre Dame is a more important structure to France than exists in Canada.  I dare say it is the most important structure in France period.  Not to mention the location.  Ile de la Cite is a small island in the river Seine where the City of Paris was founded for defensive reasons.  Notre Dame dominates the centre of Paris and is still the tallest building.  It remains so out of respect.  This is so for religious reasons in a religious country and also for patriotic reasons in a very patriotic country.

That’s not true at all. There are taller buildings in Paris but they’re rare because the ground underneath the city has been thoroughly excavated after 1000+ years of human habitation in the area. It simply won’t support having a skyscraper built on top of it in most places.

• Cheers 1

On 4/16/2019 at 7:05 PM, Grapefruits said:

Media is already scrambling to claim it was an accident, no arson suspected.  Seems strange to me to have that conclusion so fast with a fire of this magnitude. I doubt they will even touch this video.  Time will tell.  I'd like to see what that video shows investigated and explained.

• 2 weeks later...