The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals) Trading up at Draft for 3rd or 4th overall.

Tanev is too old and injury prone and Dipietro is still a big question mark. The price to move up is always absurd that’s why a team hasn’t moved into the top 3 in a long time. Think more Juolevi+Demko+10th overall for the 3rd overall pick and that still might not be enough. It’s just not worth the price to move up.

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

Dude youre being ridicule-ous you can't just attack people into agreeing with you or doing what you want. 

The “proposal” I threw out there was to start a discussion of sorts,  I would never think that my proposal is one that would work, but at least stimulate a healthy discussion on what might work to move up a bit on Draft Day in Vancouver this Summer.

... for example take the 2nd post from @goalie13 in this thread,.  It starts a healthy discussion of sorts to see what possibilities might lie ahead in June.

Dude,.  Your just not up for it,. I get it,. Your only contribution is negativity.  Your offering nothing but negative comments to what was started here, that is attacking in its weakest form.

You offer nothing in the least pragmatic.. but ridicule itself, and try to turn it back on me..  

seems like your the bully crying in the sand box.

If you have no idea how to contribute in a healthy way, then please don’t,..  espescially if you can’t take what your giving.

17 hours ago, hammertime said:

Ill bite seeing as I was ribbing you about this earlier. 

Boeser + 10th  to the Avs for their two 1sts. 

This would possibly set us too far back into the rebuild.

I can’t see us wanting to be near the draft lottery after this season, no?

16 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Creating a proposal that offers up spare parts for the 3rd overall pick isn’t creative, it’s delusional 

Obviously it won’t work, but it’s starts a discussion on what might..  delusion happens when you have nothing to contribute.

15 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trading up almost certainly won't be worth it unless it's 1-3 spots to secure whoever Brackett likes. 

I've been racking my brain recently trying to think about how we could get two picks in the top-25 this year. Most options involve trading down from 10th to a pick around 15th and using extra assets in addition to our picks to jump back in around 20-25. If we landed one of the RD (Soderstrom or Seider) and one forward (Kaliyev, Caufield, Dorofeyev, Newhook, McMichael, Lavoie, etc.) I think it would help us out more than landing the outcast of the top 10. 

Not a bad idea actually,  if we can’t lever up,.   Trusting the scouting staff on this one might prove better.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Trade down then,.  Another idea thrown out here by @Horvat is a Boss that might work?  Our scouting has been good.

Well it really depends on what is going on with JB's intel. We are not privy to what the cost is to move up a few spots, what the Canucks board looks like, how much they value each player...etc. I am not saying that we should not trade up under any circumstance, but my gut would be that the cost to move up to the 3-4 range from 10 would be fairly high. If we just tanked a little better we could have acquired a pick a few spots higher without needing to give up significant assets. I understand the arguments against tanking, but the fact is it gets you better draft picks. If we are of the mindset that we want to be as competitive as possible, then I believe we should be happy to pick where we are at in any draft year. Maybe a situation arises where it makes sense for us to move up to take a player we highly value--- I think I would rather JB stand pat as he has done every year.

The same can be said for trading down.... No poster here knows enough about it (IMO) to really say either way what the right decision is. It's one thing to analyze a trade if/when it happens, and another to try to guess what we should do beforehand.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, wai_lai416 said:

Lol an injury prone declining player and 2 prospect will get u into top 3-4? I think even NHL 19 will decline that trade lol 

Dipietro is 8-0-0 in the playoffs. Not saying he will get you a top 3-4 pick but I think he is an A prospect hands down.

17 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Dipietro is 8-0-0 in the playoffs. Not saying he will get you a top 3-4 pick but I think he is an A prospect hands down.

Goaltending prospects are generally worth very little in trades.  They take a long time to develop and their trajectory is difficult to figure out.  He’s looking good right now. But that’s the OHL. Vancouver won’t get value out of trading him. Best to hang on to him and see how he develops 

Archived