The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Public Transit in Vancouver

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Vancouver is actually one of the cites for population density in North America.

We are going in the right direction with our city.    We are not doomed to follow other NA cities...

https://globalnews.ca/news/3953592/vancouvers-density-lags-comparable-wealthy-cities-fraser-institute/

But I think of how many people are commuting from the valley into town every day.

Granted, I live in Victoria so I can come up with a better example for here.  We have lots of goverment offices.  We have lots of people that live in Langford and commute every day.  What if some of those offices moved to where the people are?  Why does everything have to be downtown?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

But I think of how many people are commuting from the valley into town every day.

Granted, I live in Victoria so I can come up with a better example for here.  We have lots of goverment offices.  We have lots of people that live in Langford and commute every day.  What if some of those offices moved to where the people are?  Why does everything have to be downtown?

Or implimented  a 4 day work day with 8 hours of work done each week from home electronically....... 

Sick days would diminish and productivitiy would probably rise...  Win / Win. 

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

They didn't take it to build the transit system. Most of those surcharges into inner city london came AFTER inner city london constructed their transit systems. Therefore, london didn't finance their transit via vicitimising the car drivers. How hard is it to follow basic logic for you ?

So do they burn the money or bury it in a hole....

You still did not answer that question.....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

So do they burn the money or bury it in a hole....

You still did not answer that question.....

what they do with the money is irrelevant to how they BUILT OR FUND their transit system, which is the entire point of this thread. For all we know, they give it to the coast guard or fund their version of ICBC. It has nothing to do with funding or building their transit system. Yet again, you fail. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Or implimented  a 4 day work day with 8 hours of work done each week from home electronically....... 

not all fields can work remotely, mate. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I actually work from home now.  I never commute.  But I used to.  So I can totally see the benefits of the free transit idea.

The trick still is, how to pay for it?  You could get car users to pay for it, but as car usage drops you would have less money to pay for transit.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

https://qz.com/1442882/free-public-transit-is-gaining-popularity-in-european-cities/

Free public transit, once impossibly radical, is gaining popularity. Dunkirk joins roughly two dozen French cities that have gone fare free. Aubagne, for example, made transit free on 11 bus routes serving 100,000 residents in 2009. Over the next three years, bus ridership rose 142% and car trips decreased 10%, according to a 2013 article in Metropolitiques.

In Châteauroux, eliminating fares in the early 2000s revitalized the town’s ailing transit system and catapulted its mayor to immense popularity.

Earlier this year, five German cities said they would try free public transit, though they’ve since decided to dramatically reduce fares rather than waive them entirely.

One month in, Dunkirk mayor Patrice Vergriete told the Guardian the project is a huge success, with ridership up 50-85% on certain routes and the city expanding its bus fleet to 140 from 100 vehicles. Vergriete said fares previously raised only 10% (€47 million) of the system’s annual operating costs, a difference the city has made up by raising the versement transport, a public transport tax on companies with more than 11 employees.

Lower mainland area 36,303 sqkm vs Dunkirk 44 sqkm. Canada in general is way to spread out and our transit systems are terrible in comparison to most densely populated European areas. For example England is 77x smaller in landmass but has over double the population of Canada you can not compare Canadian cities to European cities. 508 people per sqkm to 4 people per sqkm...   

1 minute ago, CanuckinEdm said:

you can not compare Canadian cities to European cities. 508 people per sqkm to 4 people per sqkm...   

Vancouver has a population of 5400 per sq km actually....

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

not all fields can work remotely, mate. 

Doesn't take 100 % compliance to improve road traffic...

Even having 25% participation split over the 5 work days would remove THOUSSands of vehicles from daily rush hour traffic....

Free public transit won't get people out of their cars anyways. I worked with a gal who said she thinks every needs a car. Like all members of her family, including her grandfather who failed his driver's test but got his daughter to buy insurance in her name so he could drive without a license because 'he needed to get around'.

As pointed out above, Canadian cities are too much urban sprawl. I live 15 mins outside of Edmonton and there is one bus that infrequently goes into the city and it doesn't even get me close to workplace. That's it. I need a vehicle to get to work, to get groceries, to get anything really. This is how most people live.

I don't think our population is dense enough.  Greater Vancouver sprawls outward.  There is a lot of land for our transit system to cover.  And we are not a very large city anyways.  Even with an ever increasing amount of commuters (people cannot afford houses in Van), ridership is not super high.  And then you have people who are stupid and don't believe in paying taxes for public transit.  Imagine the outrage of making it free.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Here's a plan:

Put virtual toll booths at all road entrances into Vancouver. Every time a vehicle (busses and taxis excluded) crosses the virtual toll into VAN, the vehicle is charged a small fee. Use those fees to provide free transit to everyone in the GVA. The beauty of it, it would be paid for by those who choose to and can afford to do drive in Vancouver.

how about hell no. I have to drive into Vancouver for work I already pay enough in fuel taxes as it is why should I have to pay more so others can literally have a free ride.

Edited by Nucksfollower1983

There is talk about this is in Victoria as well. The busses are already over crowded from tourists and students. Why should citizens pay for tourists to ride the bus for free? BC transit is already in debt and mismanaged. Such a terrible idea.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Baer. said:

There is talk about this is in Victoria as well. The busses are already over crowded from tourists and students. Why should citizens pay for tourists to ride the bus for free? BC transit is already in debt and mismanaged. Such a terrible idea.

Oh i thought tourists spent money.   Wow

46 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

how about hell no. I have to drive into Vancouver for work I already pay enough in fuel taxes as it is why should I have to pay more so others can literally have a free ride.

With free transit.  Your drive dowtown time may be cut in half

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't think our population is dense enough.  Greater Vancouver sprawls outward.  There is a lot of land for our transit system to cover.  And we are not a very large city anyways.  Even with an ever increasing amount of commuters (people cannot afford houses in Van), ridership is not super high.  And then you have people who are stupid and don't believe in paying taxes for public transit.  Imagine the outrage of making it free.

Who are you calling not dense?  I’m very dense, and bloody proud of it!  

• Thanks 1

Free transit is an intriguing idea.  I would support it as it would encourage maximum use of transit.  

However,  I would question how it is to be funded (cuz nothing is free) and projected future costs / funding for future developments (ie. New skytrain routes).

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BPA said:

Free transit is an intriguing idea.  I would support it as it would encourage maximum use of transit.  

However,  I would question how it is to be funded (cuz nothing is free) and projected future costs / funding for future developments (ie. New skytrain routes).

What if developers helped  fund it with their projects near skytrains hubs..... ???