The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres name Ralph Krueger as head coach

Rate this topic

48 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

No NHL FO experience so his prospects there were likely bleak.  At 59 his earning years are becoming fewer.  Take the coaching job and bank millions then retire to wherever you want in the world.

He had the Edmonton GM job on the table if he wanted it... oh right, thats the "bleak part". 

Solid move, I'd be surprised if the sabres didn't take a real step next season. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He had the Edmonton GM job on the table if he wanted it... oh right, thats the "bleak part". 

Solid move, I'd be surprised if the sabres didn't take a real step next season. 

I can't tell tone in this post.  You were just setting up the bleak joke, right?  Craig MacTavish who fired him over Skype 6 years ago is still VP of hockey ops in Edmonton.

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I can't tell tone in this post.  You were just setting up the bleak joke, right?  Craig MacTavish who fired him over Skype 6 years ago is still VP of hockey ops in Edmonton.

there was a lot of yap in EDM a few weeks ago about wanting Ralph back as GM, and he publicly stated no interest, something along the lines of you can't go back again. 

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Great hire @SabreFan1

I'm thinking Krueger takes the Sabres and beats the Leafs.  That will make us all VERY HAPPY.  :towel:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there was a lot of yap in EDM a few weeks ago about wanting Ralph back as GM, and he publicly stated no interest, something along the lines of you can't go back again. 

I never caught that.  Edmonton is nuts.  The guy who fired him in what amounted to little more than a text message is still there. 

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I never caught that.  Edmonton is nuts.  The guy who fired him in what amounted to little more than a text message is still there. 

you can say that again. Ralph's interview about it was classy, you got a good one there.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I'm sure people aren't just walking up to him to give him information. I reckon he needs to do some digging. But yeah, to call him a brilliant hockey mind is a stretch.

I'm sure he is very well connected to agents, media and NHL personnel.  Otherwise just another ordinary media hack.

@Dombrova22 Make all the faux-negative responses that you want, Botterill's job depends on the success of this new coach.  They both have 2 years max to get the organization trending upwards faster.

for the second one, Skinner will only stay with the Sabres if they are the highest bidder.  The Sabres' depth performance is a problem.  Krueger is going to have to seriously motivate them to actually contribute more.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Wat 1

On 5/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, Alflives said:

I think that’s s really good hire by the Sabres.  Krueger is a really good hockey mind.  Sabres will be next seasons Islanders/Canes/Avs

Very good hockey guy and a coach Edmonton should never have let go.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Are Ralph Krueger and the guy who hunted velociraptors in Jurassic Park the same guy?

giphy.gif

Well, that guy died about 5 seconds after the clip you showed....so, if this is Krueger, it is a metaphor for his time in Edmonton.

• Haha 2