The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser's Contract & Worth

CanadianRugby

I think his injury held him back stats wise. I don't think he can get his full value because of that. He has way more to offer than what we saw.

His big payday is on his next contract after he vies for the Rocket Richard.

Maybe I am in the minority here but I hear all this $ 7 million plus talk annually and cringe. The guy can probably hit the 30, maybe 35 goal level, heck maybe even the 40 goal range but two seasons in the twenties and we're already talking 5 years or longer in the 7+ million per range ? not sure thats wise.

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Maybe I am in the minority here but I hear all this $ 7 million plus talk annually and cringe. The guy can probably hit the 30, maybe 35 goal level, heck maybe even the 40 goal range but two seasons in the twenties and we're already talking 5 years or longer in the 7+ million per range ? not sure thats wise.

It's a double-edged sword really. On one hand, it could save us money compared to if we have to provide more money in 2 years because of a bridge contract; thus a higher cap hit than 7mil at that point.

On the other hand, he could taper off too and not even reach a point per game. We don't really know. I'd like to think he becomes a 30-40 goal scorer, but only he can show us if that materializes or not.

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Actually it's totally fair value...

There were 40 forwards who were paid between 6M and 7.5M last season. 13 of them scored 30+ goals.

Boeser would be in the top 30% of those players paid in that range. Furthermore, he would be in the top 10% had he played a full season.

He's totally worth it. Boeser would be a lottery pick in a re-draft.

7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Maybe I am in the minority here but I hear all this $ 7 million plus talk annually and cringe.

Welcome to the new NHL.  It's high risk high reward and what young players are I feel, starting to expect.  You're betting he can become a 30-40 goal scorer.  Those guys get PAID so he'd be a really good contract.  These are the types of gambles you have to take.  

Contracts are hard to predict, and they're such a big part of building a good team in a cap system.  It might be wishful thinking but it would be nice if Boeser took a hometown discount, as there seems to be great chemistry with him and some of the other young guys.  This next contract will effect team for years. 

23 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He's scored in the 20s for two consecutive years yes, but neither of those seasons were full seasons. In his first season, he scored at a 39-goal pace and this last year he scored at a 31-goal pace. He is a bonafide 30-goal scorer.

13 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

$6m lower limit

$8m upper limit

...probably (hopefully it) gets done in between $6.5m-$7.5m :) 

I don't think you go higher than $7M. Bo just signed for $5.5M and was even more valuable than Brock this year. $7M x 6-7 years. He'd be 28-29 when it expires, setting himself up for another big pay day. His agent may push for a lower term, but I think Benning needs to get at least 6 years on this deal while he still has a bit of leverage. 

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's scored in the 20s for two consecutive years yes, but neither of those seasons were full seasons. In his first season, he scored at a 39-goal pace and this last year he scored at a 31-goal pace. He is a bonafide 30-goal scorer.

And I guess that’s the crux. He’s been in the league for two years, and in typical Canuck fashion has been unable to play a full season yet

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I get what you're saying, but Brock would be the 1st person to tell you that he's not. The NHL season is a grind. If you haven't scored 30 goals multiple times (or at least once) you just can't say that. 

49 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

You have to show respect, you find a star & you lock him up or risk loosing him and that sends a bad message to the rest of the team and to future FA's

31 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Welcome to the new NHL.  It's high risk high reward and what young players are I feel, starting to expect.  You're betting he can become a 30-40 goal scorer.  Those guys get PAID so he'd be a really good contract.  These are the types of gambles you have to take.  

Contracts are hard to predict, and they're such a big part of building a good team in a cap system.  It might be wishful thinking but it would be nice if Boeser took a hometown discount, as there seems to be great chemistry with him and some of the other young guys.  This next contract will effect team for years. 

I think he gets paid now and a possible hometown discount comes next contract

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Possibly could have been higher this year.  He looked tentative at seasons beginning, maybe thinking of his back.  Human nature. 

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

If he takes a discount next contract that's even better yeah.  

I just think common sense in the new NHL with the cap especially being an American player I would want fair market value right now if I'm Brock and if Vancouver builds a team that can win a cup or two with him maybe then I would be willing to sign with a hometown discount. Some careers can be shorter then some think, make your money when your young and hope too sign long term once you've aged for security.

Archived