The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini's under fire for the mistreatment of migrant workers.

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree about some jobs. Many types of  berries are  now machine picked now, right ?

What about when Tim Hortons is hiring foreign workers in Victoria....

Sorry, but i have seen the low wages... split shifts...    sent home on slow days...  type of management at many of these businesses that then hire foreign.

Foreign workers are easier to exploit as well as they are too scared to complain.....

Already are as well as other island towns.

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree about some jobs. Many types of  berries are  now machine picked now, right ?

What about when Tim Hortons is hiring foreign workers in Victoria....

Sorry, but i have seen the low wages... split shifts...    sent home on slow days...  type of management at many of these businesses that then hire foreign.

Foreign workers are easier to exploit as well as they are too scared to complain.....

but what are these places supposed to do when they can't hire anyone from here? close down?

I totally agree that the min wage needs to be raised to a livable level, but until that day comes I don't see what choice many employers have beyond shutting their doors or hiring people in any way they can. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but what are these places supposed to do when they can't hire anyone from here? close down?

I totally agree that the min wage needs to be raised to a livable level, but until that day comes I don't see what choice many employers have beyond shutting their doors or hiring people in any way they can. 

Define liveable.

smokes, phones, and Netflix don’t count.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats the point. When companies like Tim Hortons are so poorly run that they can't figure a way to pay their workers properly.... 

They should shut down.   Let companies with effective management take their market share. 

This is a tricky thing though.

No one "forces" foreign workers to come here and I believe most think of it as an opportunity...problem is, there are opportunists.  On both sides.

It seems it wasn't unpaid hours...more that it was unworked hours that were understood to fall under an umbrella of "minimum 40/week".  So if they didn't get the minimum, I understand this was to compensate for that.   That they were "promised" 6 months of work at 40 hours per week and so payment was for that...NOT for unpaid hours that were worked.  It's a little different (for me).

ALSO:  some of the wages weren't received because they were sent to Guatemala AFTER the workers returned home, but changes in banking, etc. disrupted the payment.  So the deal is they now have to pay BEFORE they leave.

But, again, it's about having all the facts before jumping to conclusions about being shady.

And here's the thing for me...I bring my own water to work.  Warm clothing (if needed).   Supplies/lunch.

So some of it's unwarranted to me.  Some - not so much.

If they were spraying on them as they ate lunch?  Not cool.  But hey....they aren't driving F1 cars to spray with...move out of the way?  

If they weren't "allowed to", then that's a different story.

But I'm wary of jumping to a poor abused workers conclusion until the facts are all released.  Again - there is plenty of room for exploitation and a rich boss may be attractive to some who feel they can stake/make a claim.

It's about fairness and expectations - contracts should cover that.

I'd be all for the welfare system insisting that people do these jobs if they're able bodied.  Do away with the TFW program and these issues.  And make people "earn" their way rather than rely on welfare.  Incentive to get off it pretty quick....

• Cheers 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Thats the point. When companies like Tim Hortons are so poorly run that they can't figure a way to pay their workers properly.... 

They should shut down.   Let companies with effective management take their market share. 

then go to Starbucks and pay more. 

I'm totally on board with making companies pay minimum wage for TFWs regardless of the contract details. But you still won't see a rush of people looking to fill those jobs. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

above the current poverty line 

My point was and I’ve discussed this before on a similar topic; more

money doesn’t necessarily mean a better life.  Most people are totally clueless when it comes to managing money.

the slower but more effective long term solution is education at a lower cost.  Early Education that incorporates financial management instruction.

its an anecdote I know but I’ve worked on government housing projects and the larger majority somehow still finds a way to have what I consider luxury/unnecessary items including drugs, cigs, and alcohol, internet, gaming platforms, and cable tv.  I’d say close to half of the people at these residences sat out in the parking lot all day and watched us work.  I’m talking ages from teens to parents.

Edited by riffraff

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

then go to Starbucks and pay more. 

I'm totally on board with making companies pay minimum wage for TFWs regardless of the contract details. But you still won't see a rush of people looking to fill those jobs. 

I hear what you are saying.... BC is also a bit of an exception with huge labour shortages currently....

I am hearing daily from employers that simply can not fill positions in the skilled trades.

Hopefully, this results in wages going up which BC citizens desperately need right now in this crazy expensive to live market.

Also, yes of course  i am prepared to pay more for things i purchase if it can allow workers to be paid a living wage.  I have been fortunate with my investments and i am more than happy to support others in my society that could benefit from a bit of higher wage. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, riffraff said:

money doesn’t necessarily mean a better life.  Most people are totally clueless when it comes to managing money.

the slower but more effective long term solution is education at a lower cost.  Early Education that incorporates financial management instruction.

its an anecdote I know but I’ve worked on government housing projects and the larger majority somehow still finds a way to have what I consider luxury/unnecessary items including drugs, cigs, and alcohol, internet, gaming platforms, and cable tv.  I’d say close to half of the people at these residences sat out in the parking lot all day and watched us work.  I’m taking ages from teens to parents.

Get those slackers to the berry fields now!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

its an anecdote I know but I’ve worked on government housing projects and the larger majority somehow still finds a way to have what I consider luxury/unnecessary items including drugs, cigs, and alcohol, internet, gaming platforms, and cable tv.  I’d say close to half of the people at these residences sat out in the parking lot all day and watched us work.  I’m talking ages from teens to parents.

Internet access is not unnecessary in 2019. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Increasing the minimum wage doesnt help much. Its like if you just “print more money”. Supply and demand and all that jazz. 

If people make more money, housing and food prices go up to compensate. Its a vicious circle. 

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I hear what you are saying.... BC is also a bit of an exception with huge labour shortages currently....

I am hearing daily from employers that simply can not fill positions in the skilled trades.

Hopefully, this results in wages going up which BC citizens desperately need right now in this crazy expensive to live market.

Also, yes of course  i am prepared to pay more for things i purchase if it can allow workers to be paid a living wage.  I have been fortunate with my investments and i am more than happy to support others in my society that could benefit from a bit of higher wage. 

Doesnt work like that. Not only would you be paying more for basic goods, but so would these people “benefiting from a higher minimum wage”. You cant just print money. It cancels out. 

43 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Internet access is not unnecessary in 2019. 

There are only three basic needs to survive. Food, water, and shelter. The internet, as great to have as it is, is simply not necessity. 

I dont know the statistics, but i would say the vast majority of people on the planet get by just fine not having a twatter account, dont have time for fakebook, and couldnt care less what kim kardashian ate this morning before walking a chihuahua. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

There are only three basic needs to survive. Food, water, and shelter. The internet, as great to have as it is, is simply not necessity. 

I dont know the statistics, but i would say the vast majority of people on the planet get by just fine not having a twatter account, dont have time for fakebook, and couldnt care less what kim kardashian ate this morning before walking a chihuahua. 

Who said anything about social media? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Doesnt work like that. Not only would you be paying more for basic goods, but so would these people “benefiting from a higher minimum wage”. You cant just print money. It cancels out.