The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

35 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

The escalation continues.. hard to know what the to believe these days but the officer apparently was in a tough spot surrounded by protestors..  pretext for military intervention maybe

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/world/asia/china-national-day-hong-kong-protests.html 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-today-shooting-live-round-china-national-day-a9127561.html 

Heavy.

Same cop clubbed the protester that was coming in to check on the fallen guy that was shot. Wonder if that second protester got lucky there? I wonder if the cop was out of bullets...

This is ugly and seems to only be slated to get worse. What a shame for Hong Kong. What a shame for the world that so many countries are on China's d*&k and wont really do a damn thing. 

• Upvote 3

Just re-reading that Independent article that Chicken posted...

As floats went by representing 56 regions and ethnicities from across the nation, 70,000 balloons were released - alongside 70,000 doves of peace. Later, a major fireworks display will be held in honour of the People's Republic's birthday.

WTF?

70,000 balloons?....ok thanks China, we know you lead the way in making a mess.

70,000 Doves?....ok, I'm calling BS. 70,000 Doves? come on really? I want a verified beak count and footage please

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Heavy.

Same cop clubbed the protester that was coming in to check on the fallen guy that was shot. Wonder if that second protester got lucky there? I wonder if the cop was out of bullets...

This is ugly and seems to only be slated to get worse. What a shame for Hong Kong. What a shame for the world that so many countries are on China's d*&k and wont really do a damn thing. 

It's always sad when pro-CCP supporters always push out the narrative that economic growth absolves China of all previous heinous acts.  

Crushing the Tibetan, setting up concentration camps in Xinjang, the Great Famine, the failed Cultural Revolution, Tienanmen Square.... they are all perfectly fine because China is now richer and people now are richer.  

That's like saying the Germans were right about the Holocaust... I mean they are now currently the leader in Europe, so the end result is more important.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It's always sad when pro-CCP supporters always push out the narrative that economic growth absolves China of all previous heinous acts.  

Crushing the Tibetan, setting up concentration camps in Xinjang, the Great Famine, the failed Cultural Revolution, Tienanmen Square.... they are all perfectly fine because China is now richer and people now are richer.  

That's like saying the Germans were right about the Holocaust... I mean they are now currently the leader in Europe, so the end result is more important.  

Do the good guys (Allies) even have enough cooperation currently for a major western alliance type of agreement that can crush economies at a whim.. ala wwI treaty of versailles.. China has such a worldwide network now with their huge spending in Africa and the like.. they are less dependent on Allies for exports although still are quite a bit. Hard to even think of a scenario that they can be brought to account with the current geopolitical storms seemingly all over, they are not an Iran level power. 

Sucks thinking of the crap that happens in less fortunate parts of the world, ill have to be extra thankful at thanksgiving this year..

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Do the good guys (Allies) even have enough cooperation currently for a major western alliance type of agreement that can crush economies at a whim.. ala wwI treaty of versailles.. China has such a worldwide network now with their huge spending in Africa and the like.. they are less dependent on Allies for exports although still are quite a bit. Hard to even think of a scenario that they can be brought to account with the current geopolitical storms seemingly all over, they are not an Iran level power. 

Sucks thinking of the crap that happens in less fortunate parts of the world, ill have to be extra thankful at thanksgiving this year..

They probably have enough pull to really mess up China if they work together.  While China has diversified a bit, they are still an exporting/manufacturing country... and no matter how good/cheap you are at making stuff and selling stuff..... if you have no customers, you won't be in business for long.  

The CCP has been able to keep their population content due to economic growth... but once you have factories closing down and workers out of work... you'll have lots of angry people looking for an outlet to vent, and the government is usually a very good target.  

In an all out trade war, you have to think about the worst case (non-military) scenario for each country.  For the US.... it just means they will need to find other countries to buy stuff from like Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam, etc.  Japan's manufacturing lost market share because it's more expensive to produce there.  But if tariffs and other factors makes China expensive, the formerly #2 economy in the world can easily make up any shortfalls in supplies. 

Overall, if the country suffers economic hardship, people will just vote for the other guy during the election.  Fundamentally, the USA doesn't really change. 

For China... they will need to find markets to sell to, but which countries really have the same purchasing power that aren't more likely to be allied to the US?  A few 3rd world countries... that's not going to keep China's manufacturing afloat for long.  They can switch more to focus on domestic consumption, but without access to foreign capital, growth will stagnate.  Monetary policies won't really help more as a huge proportion of their government funded corporations are "zombies", mean they will keep consuming money, but doesn't provide any economic benefits.  A massive recession in China can lead to actual protests, rioting, etc.  The People's Liberation Army has downsized in recent years to a more professional force... so there may be lots of people in China with military training who are now jobless, hungry, and angry at the powers that be.  

Worst case scenario for China, the collapse of the CCP, internal strife, civil war, etc.  

Grr, I would like to walk though these teenage thugs like a hot knife through butter. 

Clown shoes... You want to support China? write up your own flyers. You have no right to rip down the Hong Kong supporters wall and try to intimidate. This is Canada you little F' balls.

Video: Richmond clash between pro-China, pro-Hong Kong supporters

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/video-richmond-clash-between-pro-china-pro-hong-kong-supporters-1.23964198

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

identify them now through social media....  then deport them back to their beloved country.  Easy . 

Sadly, some of these scumbags are Canadian citizens, KOS. I agree that if they’re so hellbent on defending China that they should make their way back there, but their citizenship has its privileges. 

More people need to come out and show their support for the people defending Hong Kong. Those cowards would be less likely to fight back then. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sadly, some of these scumbags are Canadian citizens, KOS. I agree that if they’re so hellbent on defending China that they should make their way back there, but their citizenship has its privileges. 

More people need to come out and show their support for the people defending Hong Kong. Those cowards would be less likely to fight back then. 

If police can identify them....   then charge the scum bags with vandalism.  Fine the F...  out of them.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Grr, I would like to walk though these teenage thugs like a hot knife through butter. 

Clown shoes... You want to support China? write up your own flyers. You have no right to rip down the Hong Kong supporters wall and try to intimidate. This is Canada you little F' balls.

Video: Richmond clash between pro-China, pro-Hong Kong supporters

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/video-richmond-clash-between-pro-china-pro-hong-kong-supporters-1.23964198

Should have a bunch of pro-democracy people there to enforce free speech. 

If those pro-CCP brown-nosing bootlickers wants to tear down the Lennon Wall.... be prepared to have an extra large serving of knuckle sandwiches.  

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

If those pro-CCP brown-nosing bootlickers wants to tear down the Lennon Wall.... be prepared to have an extra large serving of knuckle sandwiches.  

So disrespectful.   Make me think of so many Canadians that gave up their lives to protect free speech and civil liberties....   

Sickening to see others that try to oppress it here in our wonderful country. 

10 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Hong Kong Students are brainwashed by the British.  China students are brainwashed by the CCP.    How other people waste their time is none of mine business. 

That's false equivalence.

Democracy > Authoritarianism

If the CCP aren't so insecure about their position of power, they should just let HK have it.  If China's style is really as great as many pro- CCP are claiming, then voters would be voting for them, amirite?

19 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Hard to do when Richmond’s corrupt mayor supports the pro China side 100%... Mind you we got his underling Derek Dang out of council last election.. next time Its Brodie’s turn.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

That's false equivalence.

Democracy > Authoritarianism

If the CCP aren't so insecure about their position of power, they should just let HK have it.  If China's style is really as great as many pro- CCP are claiming, then voters would be voting for them, amirite?

we don't even have the freedom to choose our own car insurance company.  What makes us qualify to criticise other country's democracy.  To me their are 2 kinds of democracy.

Useful one and useless one.  Having freedom of speech to bad mouth Trudreau is a useless kind of democracy.  Having freedom to chose a auto insurance company a useful kind of democracy.   When selling your property or stock not having to pay capital gain tax is a useful kind of democracy.   Have a lot of choice when calling a cab is useful kind of democracy.  I disagree with a lot of things Chinese government does, but you understand they can pick their auto insurance company , and there is no capital gains in China right?  The useful democracy saves your money, the useless democracy waste your time.   People are too dumb to be mislead by mainstream media.  Everybody should have their own opinion.

44 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

we don't even have the freedom to choose our own car insurance company.  What makes us qualify to criticise other country's democracy.  To me their are 2 kinds of democracy.

Useful one and useless one.  Having freedom of speech to bad mouth Trudreau is a useless kind of democracy.  Having freedom to chose a auto insurance company a useful kind of democracy.   When selling your property or stock not having to pay capital gain tax is a useful kind of democracy.   Have a lot of choice when calling a cab is useful kind of democracy.  I disagree with a lot of things Chinese government does, but you understand they can pick their auto insurance company , and there is no capital gains in China right?  The useful democracy saves your money, the useless democracy waste your time.   People are too dumb to be mislead by mainstream media.  Everybody should have their own opinion.

Umm.... good luck with that in China.  

It seems that you don't seem to quite understand the nuances of liberty, freedom, democracy, etc.  

If you are equating capital gains taxes as somehow related to something like self-determination... I'd recommend you stay off WeChat for a bit and actually read up on what concepts like liberty, democracy, etc actually are.  

1 hour ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Auto insurance is provincial, as are cabs (apparently cabs are municiple and Vancouver just approved Uber and Lyft).

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Umm.... good luck with that in China.  

It seems that you don't seem to quite understand the nuances of liberty, freedom, democracy, etc.  

If you are equating capital gains taxes as somehow related to something like self-determination... I'd recommend you stay off WeChat for a bit and actually read up on what concepts like liberty, democracy, etc actually are.  

You can spend your time understand Liberty well.   None of my business.    Some people like to talk freedom , but they force their ideology upon someone else.  I recommend you travel the world a bit, don't be frog at the bottom of the well.  hahahaha.   

10 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

You won't find any kind of democracy in China.

I'd say the most useful kind of democracy is having the ability to choose your own government.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck