The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

On 6/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Examples?   He has traded 2nd round picks twice for what were high end prospects (one a first round pick).    What other examples do you offer?

Lol someone is delusional. Linden Vey and Baertschy were in no way, shape, or form bluechip prospects. 

We should have kept the 2nd round picks for sure.

Edited by StealthNuck
Language

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

How did our scouting staff do under the idiot Benning replaced?  See a lot of 2nd round success?  Benning was getting fed garbage by incompetent scouts, and he didn't have time to fix the issue his first draft.

heard that JB came over with the Boston scouting report and had the Canuck's scouting report to compare to...

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

I watched a lot of Vince Dunn as a junior, and was hoping we would draft him.  He was skilled, smart, and physical- although small. I would much rather have one Vince Dunn than a Vey and a Baer.  I do appreciate Hefty’s point that JB thought he was better off using his seconds on Vey and Baer than letting the scouts back then pick.   

Heck, I would take Mckeown, the guy LA really wanted over Vey. He might bust but hey, better than 3rd line garbage we can get off waivers or free agency. No sense wasting picks on them.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree, rob. jim had so many holes in his prospect pool, he had to start filling them first. hind sight is wonderful, isn’t it. 

Holes are still holes even with bandaids covering those holes. Best fix is the right way, with draft picks. That Benning pissed away.....

Might be a long fix but still a better solution than what dim Jim and his fans think were the right moves.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Holes are still holes even with bandaids covering those holes. Best fix is the right way, with draft picks. That Benning pissed away.....

might be a long fix fix but still better solution than what dim Jim and his fans think were the right moves.

great hindsight.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I know people hate Toronto but Kadri would be amazing pick up for us if we can get him relatively cheap.

I agree I think he would look good beside Bo. I just used Kadri to prove a point that Lucic isn't the only player to make death threats. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

3rd + Mallet + 4th + Pedan for Pouliot

McCann + 2nd + 4th for Gudbranson + 5th

5th for Larsen

5th + Kassian for Prust

Jensen + 6th for Etem

Bonino + Clendenning(Forsling) + 2nd for Sutter + 3rd

2nd for Vey

Those are second round picks?     Those all sound like reasonable moves in terms of reasonable risk/reward.   Look at the draft slots and the projection and then look at the returns and it is a decent balance about as good as any other GM over same period.   If you want every trade to work out 100% for the team you pull for or want every draft pick to be the best player in hindsight years later, rig your Playstation as real life may be too hard for you to handle.   :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

'Sounds like you're locked in, no intention of moving up"....

Benning:

"I'm going to look at all of our options, try to move up or maybe if it makes sense move down.  We're comfortable if we have the 10th pick, but I'm going to keep all of our options open."

"The draft could go in a lot of different ways."

"We are going to keep all of our options open.  There are some players that we think that are after we pick that we like a lot, so we're going to keep our options open - whether it's acquiring another pick, whether it's getting a player that can help us now - there are some players that we like later on in the first round for sure."

Nothing there suggests that Benning is prioritizing 'older prospects' or NHL ready players - but regardless, there are a whole lof of good, young players out there that cannot be assumed to be lesser assets than a draft pick - plain and simple - until there is an actual context - ie two assets - a pick/bpa vs an actual existing prospect/player that was drafted by another franchise - the drama is entirely pointless.

The bold part is clear as night and day he meant more terrible trades in the vein of Forsling for Clendenning or Kassian and a pick for Prust.

Not sure how you can see that any other way since trading down slightly isn’t going to land you any significant. The extra pick would be much better than whatever option dim Jim thinks could be good.

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Rob buddy, we have been doing this for enough years that I don't think I need to re-litigate every trade here.  

Briefly there are a lot of trades over the years and we often see Benning throwing in the extra late rounder or recent pics for player he over values.  These range from losing first rounders like McCann and two pics for Guddy or young guys like Forsling, to throw in late round pics for players Like Prust and Larsen.  

I don't agree with you whatsoever.   The Canucks have as many picks over the Benning regime as they were allotted...he has used some for assets to fill a bare cupboard.   He needed to rejig the lineup and the market was what it was.    This isn't Playstation...."buddy".   :)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Eriksson can still play. He had a couple of multi-point games last season. I don't think he can barely play in the league. I think he's acting for too entitled.

agreed.........I love TG, but I don't necessarily disagree with LE on this one.  I don't think Green has given him much of a chance to right his ship and be a contributing member of the team.  He had a great WHC, so he can obviously still play at a decently high level.

Better off shedding the LE contract and opening up a roster spot for a player in his prime that has skill and talent with the added cap space created by shedding the LE contract.

Stay away from players that are long in the tooth (over 32)

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And did Loui (Vrbata 2.0) speak off the record in private about his issues with Travis Green? No, he aired his grievances publicly like a whiner.

Benning has been very professional regarding the situation, only making neutral comments that are respectful to everyone involved. The Dahlen situation is similar, I agree. Both players are whiners who believe they deserve better without putting forth the requisite effort needed to earn it.

What are you talking about? 

Loui answered the questions from the journalist and didn't whine abit. 

The header is what people remembers and that was from the journalist to get viewers... 

The Dahlen issue is something I know to little about. But I know that Benning defended himself instead of just make some general, neutral comments so he is not fit to be a GM

What Benning did so wrong with Loui is that he should have kept his mouth shut and put the blame on the journalist. Instead he questions his own player... Benning is Not fit to be the head of a top organisation. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol someone is delusional. Linden Vey and Baertschit were in no way, shape, or form bluechip prospects. 

We should have kept the 2nd round picks for sure.

Both were extremely highly regarded prospects - both high end O-zone first players with "elite" hands.   Read their scouting reports.    Vey was small but very fast and with the NHL trending that way, and his massive point totals in junior and is over point per game AHL production in his last season there he was considered a 4th round gem by many and with a real chance to succeed and excel in the "new" NHL.    Having his personal tragedy ended what could have been a great career.     Baer was seen as a potential top five pick in his draft year but there were questions about his work ethic - he had perhaps the most natural goal scoring skill in that draft and when he scored three times in his first five NHL games with the Flames, some thought he was "there".   He took longer than that but has rounded into a player that has exceeded the 53rd overall slot pick that Canucks surrendered for him having averaged almost 0.5 PPG in his NHL career to date and showing in his time in Vancouver an ability to score from "dirty areas" overcoming a criticism earlier in his career.

Your puerile nickname for Baer and your claim of delusion notwithstanding, given the facts perhaps you can enlighten who the Canucks should have selected with those two draft slots with your great looking backward ability.    :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

What are you talking about? 

Loui answered the questions from the journalist and didn't whine abit. 

The header is what people remembers and that was from the journalist to get viewers... 

The Dahlen issue is something I know to little about. But I know that Benning defended himself unstead of just make some general, neutral vomments so he is not fit to be a GM

What Benning did so wrong with Loui is that he should have kept his mouth shut and put the blame on the journalist. Instead he questions his own player... Benning is Not fit to be the head of a top organisation. 

So you want a whinny Loui around the kids? So they feel entitled and shouldn't have to put in the work after they put up numbers ? Benning wants to get rid of the cancer Loui and Jim stood by his coach. He did the right thing. 

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The Dahlen issue is something I know to little about. But I know that Benning defended himself instead of just make some general, neutral comments so he is not fit to be a GM

Unfit?

So the fact Dahlen bolted from SJ too after finding it too much to put in the effort in North America makes Benning an unfit GM?   Sounds like he is an excellent GM who got something for a player that was never going to "stick" in North America.   Sounds like excellent use of assets to me.   He has a really nice prospect in return for something and now both Ottawa and San Jose, respectively, have zip to show for the experience of making those deals.    Unfit?   I think you need a new dictionary to look up what that word means.

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-i

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So you want a whinny Loui around the kids? So they feel entitled and shouldn't have to put in the work after they put up numbers ? Benning wants to get rid of the cancer Loui and Jim stood by his coach. He did the right thing. 

Well, Benning is whining and if the GM is allowed it spreads quickly in the organisation.. But Loui didn't whine, he answered the question honestly. 

• Wat 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Well, Benning is whining and if the GM is allowed it spreads quickly in the organisation.. But Loui didn't whine, he answered the question honestly. 

How is he whining? He called out a player that has don't **** , the whole time his been in Van. Like I said he stood beside his coach. 

• Cheers 1