The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

1 hour ago, mpt said:

This isn’t the love in for Lucic, its about getting rid of a guy who isn’t passionate about hockey or the team in Eriksson.  Adding Reeves still keeps us Eriksson unless you can find another team whom would want Eriksson’s anchor of a contract.  Its really about trading one anchor or another and which anchor would you rather have.

I’m all for Ryan Reeves but Eriksson has to go.  If this is the only team that is willing to take Eriksson and they are willing to give up Lucic and a kicker, I think that makes us an overall better team in the long run.

It all depends on the kicker...it better include Puljajarvi no NMC and a pick or moving up at the least (rather have their second and stay where we are)... because LE is the better player at this point.   Then we could buy him out...if the owner is willing to do that ...next CBA.  Otherwise just keep LE and use his utility value to help our team and Lucic can stay in EDM or go somewhere else..

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

If that is what happens I am thrilled. 

What I am concerned about is Benning, backed into a corner making foolish deals for the short term.

He has had a tendency to give up youth and pics for mediocre pros.  Now that seemed to slow/stop since the Sedins retired but who knows what will happen with him needing a contract extension. 

Trading for Lucic is a foolish deal for the short and long term.

With Erikkson's contract now mostly paid he may be moveable and pretty much any other bad contract in the league is preferable to what you get with Lucic.

Good points.  Trading away our pick, prospects or one of our top players for any thing less than an improvement with a young player is a waste.  The guy I have been looking at is Trouba, who is likely heading out of the Peg.  Whether we are even in the mix is far from determined.  

Trouba for our tenth and Tanev would be IMO a good deal provided is a trade.and sign or sign and trade.  

• Upvote 1

'Sounds like you're locked in, no intention of moving up"....

Benning:

"I'm going to look at all of our options, try to move up or maybe if it makes sense move down.  We're comfortable if we have the 10th pick, but I'm going to keep all of our options open."

"The draft could go in a lot of different ways."

"We are going to keep all of our options open.  There are some players that we think that are after we pick that we like a lot, so we're going to keep our options open - whether it's acquiring another pick, whether it's getting a player that can help us now - there are some players that we like later on in the first round for sure."

Nothing there suggests that Benning is prioritizing 'older prospects' or NHL ready players - but regardless, there are a whole lof of good, young players out there that cannot be assumed to be lesser assets than a draft pick - plain and simple - until there is an actual context - ie two assets - a pick/bpa vs an actual existing prospect/player that was drafted by another franchise - the drama is entirely pointless.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Phat Fingers said:

Good points.  Trading away our pick, prospects or one of our top players for any thing less than an improvement with a young player is a waste.  The guy I have been looking at is Trouba, who is likely heading out of the Peg.  Whether we are even in the mix is far from determined.  

Trouba for our tenth and Tanev would be IMO a good deal provided is a trade.and sign or sign and trade.  

That would be a great trade for us.  Truoba and Hughes as our top pair for the next decade.

I don't know if it's possible though.  Trouba can't extend his contract until after July 1st I thought?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be a great trade for us.  Truoba and Hughes as our top pair for the next decade.

I don't know if it's possible though.  Trouba can't extend his contract until after July 1st I thought?

No he can be extended now.  He's an RFA this summer and needs a new contract for next season.  It's contracts that expire next summer that can only be extended as of 1 July.

• Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

No he can be extended now.  He's an RFA this summer and needs a new contract for next season.  It's contracts that expire next summer that can only be extended as of 1 July.

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought Trouba had one year left on his current deal.  Jets are not going to get a lot in return for a guy who is basically a one year rental.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought Trouba had one year left on his current deal.  Jets are not going to get a lot in return for a guy who is basically a one year rental.  

He is RFA with arbitration rights.  He is going to be qualified and can take the Jets or his new team to arbitration to get a  1-year deal that brings him right up to free agency.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

But Trouba isn't a draft pick Alf.  I'm afraid you've lost your edge. 

I'm just worried that Bennig might acquire a player instead of a pick.

Trouba, Foote/Cernak, Jenner, Cirelli, Benson, Steel, etc....who needs em?  They're not picks! 

Sure hope Bennig doesn't make the mistake of failing to stockpile tha pickz.  When's he gonna learn to #proper-rebuild?

Alf's getting old. :towel:

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

And did Loui (Vrbata 2.0) speak off the record in private about his issues with Travis Green? No, he aired his grievances publicly like a whiner.

Benning has been very professional regarding the situation, only making neutral comments that are respectful to everyone involved. The Dahlen situation is similar, I agree. Both players are whiners who believe they deserve better without putting forth the requisite effort needed to earn it.

I think Loui did prove he was a really good player.  He's just old now, and not accepting that he needs to play the role Green gives him to help the team win. (PK and 5v5 match-up checking)

Loui is stuck in the mindset that he can be a top 6 player and contribute offensively, when in reality he can barely play in the league.  

I doubt we can trade Loui, and we certainly don't want Lucic (unless they take Loui, and there is a fabulous sweetener) so I think Loui ends up in Utica.   

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think Loui did prove he was a really good player.  He's just old now, and not accepting that he needs to play the role Green gives him to help the team win. (PK and 5v5 match-up checking)

Loui is stuck in the mindset that he can be a top 6 player and contribute offensively, when in reality he can barely play in the league.  

I doubt we can trade Loui, and we certainly don't want Lucic (unless they take Loui, and there is a fabulous sweetener) so I think Loui ends up in Utica.   

Eriksson can still play. He had a couple of multi-point games last season. I don't think he can barely play in the league. I think he's become entitled.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Eriksson can still play. He had a couple of multi-point games last season. I don't think he can barely play in the league. I think he's acting for too entitled.

Would Loui still be in the league if he didn't have that contract though?  I think there are a lot of other players, who would get paid far less, that would do what Loui does, and do it better.  

If Loui was willing to play for 1 to 2 million than (maybe?) there would be a team willing to take him on as a PK - shutdown guy.  

Just now, The 5th Line said:

@fakenews 

Those aren't picks but they are quality players.  Better than any player we have ever traded for.  Bad examples.  We trade for players teams have given up on

Year 5 and more picks out than in during his tenure.  Year 5 and Utica/Vancouver both easily missed the playoffs and both clubs still lack quality depth. 

How many millions spent in free agency?  

Flake response.

First, free agency is irrelevent - ironic that you raise that after referrring to 'bad examples'.

Second - those are absolutely relevent examples  - this is a discussion about potentially dealing the 10th overall pick - not the peripheral drama you guys dwell on over late round picks and peripheral assets.

"We trade for players other teams have given up on" is fitting drama in a thread like this.

52 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Ok, so all the posts about how bad players are and get rid of them are positive comments? 

every post from you is boiling over with negativity about the team and how management mistreats the swedes etc.  Try a little sweetener in your posts once in awhile, the org is the best spot its been in in a very long while and trending in a great direction

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

every post from you is boiling over with negativity about the team and how management mistreats the swedes etc.  Try a little sweetener in your posts once in awhile, the org is the best spot its been in in a very long while and trending in a great direction

Think a bit longer than so. I answer negativity against players with negativity against coach and GM. 

I show that there is more to how good a player is on the ice than the player himself. 

Pouliot isn't a swede and I think he showed signs of greatness. 

With a better coach you all could have thought he was great. 

Or is Pouliot a swede? ::D

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

It all depends on the kicker...it better include Puljajarvi no NMC and a pick or moving up at the least (rather have their second and stay where we are)... because LE is the better player at this point.   Then we could buy him out...if the owner is willing to do that ...next CBA.  Otherwise just keep LE and use his utility value to help our team and Lucic can stay in EDM or go somewhere else..

I know Corsi numbers aren’t the whole package, but Lucic has better Corsi’s and brings something this team is lacking.

19 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

If that is what happens I am thrilled. 

What I am concerned about is Benning, backed into a corner making foolish deals for the short term.

He has had a tendency to give up youth and pics for mediocre pros.  Now that seemed to slow/stop since the Sedins retired but who knows what will happen with him needing a contract extension. 

Trading for Lucic is a foolish deal for the short and long term.

With Erikkson's contract now mostly paid he may be moveable and pretty much any other bad contract in the league is preferable to what you get with Lucic.

The Benning apologists will defend every move he makes even though all he is doing is rushing things that never should be rushed. And he has been doing that since day one but people defend him trading more picks away than most contenders. And they somehow try to twist this into him cleaning up for Gillis. Go figure.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 1