The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

dpn1

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don't care what we pay him on a two year contract. But if he wants a NMC during the expansion draft good riddance. The guy hasn't played over 70 games any of the last four seasons and is turning 34 next year. 

Yeah that's right and that's why i wouldn't but i wouldn't pay someone that kind of money who can't stay healthy...

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's easy.  

Edler is not getting a NMC.  No team will give him that.

I see a two year deal at 6 million per with a full NTC.  No expansion draft concerns. 

Did you bump your head??

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm asking for evidence of one high-end player agreeing to a contract that short as an under 30 UFA.  Of course the team would agree to it.

I don't have to as i don't know of anyone would turn down 16 mil for 2 seasons, and then have a chance to extend... 

Seriously you think someone would opt out of that Hef?

10 hours ago, BabychStache said:

This is why you hire an agent.

This strategy created leverage where there was none. The player made his intentions known, hampering his agents ability to get max value.

My guess is that his agent went to Alex and told him to go to Sweden and let him handle it. Now as we approach July, the agent leaks to the media and gets rumors swirling. Now JB is under fire to get it done. It could backfire, but my guess is JB signs him for an extra year than he’d like at a higher amount and Edler doesn’t get his NMC. 

JB doesn't play those games. Dahlen got sent packing with those shenanigans.

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

JB doesn't play those games. Dahlen got sent packing with those shenanigans.

6 million per for two years is a good deal. 6 million per for three years with a NMC is awful. I think he will be fine next year, mediocre the year after and a bit of a liability in that third year. We also don't need another 6 million dollar replacement level player on the books with EP and Hughes contracts coming up. Last year Hamhuis was outplayed by Yannick Weber and he is three years older than Edler - so potentially a similar trajectory. The fact that Edler is slow and pretty banged up as is doesn't bode well for longevity. 

10 hours ago, mll said:

Canucks might be ready to move on in 2 years.  He's 33.  This is likely the last NHL contract he signs so he likely wants more than 2 years to bring him up to retirement.

I'd pay him big for the two years that could tide him into retirement while still giving him the ability to continue his career at a more reasonable cost for his age should he continue to be able to play. I think 8-9 million for 2 years should be fair. It's overpaid for what he brings, but it gives him financial security, lets him control his future and it doesn't affect our long term cap.

There are only 14 players in NHL over 33 years of age.   The majority of team do not like old defenseman.   Money can be spend on younger , faster and more hungry players.   I say good bye and good luck to Edler.   Even they want to sign him , why not wait until free agency.  Edler would certainly go back to Vancouver to match any offer.   

12 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I don't have to as i don't know of anyone would turn down 16 mil for 2 seasons, and then have a chance to extend... 

Seriously you think someone would opt out of that Hef?

Yes, when a long-term injury or a couple of bad years would significantly detract from future earnings.  The only guys who benefit from that kind of deal are older players or players with something to prove.

It's a tough scenario having a 33 YO having his best year since he signed his last contract.

We have to base the contract on his last 3 years and project a decline in the next 3.

Pros

1. quiet but well respected leader on and off the ice, can bring the kids along better then any other Dman

2. Has shored up his defensive game compared to 3 years ago

3. when he's in the line up winning % take a spike for the better

4. 2018-19 again best year for 5 atleast and coincidentally with Sedins gone- 

5. has offensive/PP support this year from Hughes, maybe Juolevi by mid season and hopefully a true top 4 UFA signing 

Cons

1. injury prone - can count on 20 games missed per year minimum. Cannot log the heavy minutes anymore especially if we're playoff bound

2. Decline should start this year and carry on somewhat like the Sedins

3. Getting paid like a top 2 where he really is a top 4 on a decent team

Thinking 6.5M over 3 years NMC would be about right considering the facts. 

if 4 years is the only option we should walk and use the money to sign Myers etc..

3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Thinking 6.5M over 3 years NMC would be about right considering the facts. 

I don't like the idea of a NMC for 3 years. Give him a NMC for the first two years and just a NTC for the Seattle expansion draft year.

Salary negotiable but if he is not willing to drop the NMC for the 3rd year then let him explore free agency. Canucks should not allow themselves to be held hostage to the demands of any player in contract negotiations when it clearly is not in the teams best interests to accommodate their wishes.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Plus, the Canucks can apply pressure by putting tariffs on IKEA goods......

"We've got the best tariffs you've ever seen......the greatest tariffs in the history of tariffs I tell you.  The tariffs are so good, Alex will sign with is, and he'll pay for it........that's how good these tariffs are"

17 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't like the idea of a NMC for 3 years. Give him a NMC for the first two years and just a NTC for the Seattle expansion draft year.

Salary negotiable but if he is not willing to drop the NMC for the 3rd year then let him explore free agency. Canucks should not allow themselves to be held hostage to the demands of any player in contract negotiations when it clearly is not in the teams best interests to accommodate their wishes.

They can't really afford not to sign him though.  They've got some depth on LD, but not to replace his 25+ hard mins/night.

Additionally, by signing him, it gives them the chance to move another LD for depth at another position.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They can't really afford not to sign him though.  They've got some depth on LD, but not to replace his 25+ hard mins/night.

Additionally, by signing him, it gives them the chance to move another LD for depth at another position.

Left side is fine.      Quinn   Juoleivi  , Sautner , Free Agent? Hutton? 

1 minute ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Left side is fine.      Quinn   Juoleivi  , Sautner , Free Agent? Hutton? 

Who plays the tough defensive minutes against top lines?  Hutton struggled in that role when Edler went down last year, and the alternatives are rookies.  Given we're also trying to develop a young goalie into a legit starter, I don't see this working well over a full season, especially once injuries hit.

59 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who plays the tough defensive minutes against top lines?  Hutton struggled in that role when Edler went down last year.

Canucks can afford to wait after July 1.     We might get a big name.  Besides even anybody else offered Edler the money, we could always match.    Maybe we are watching a different Edler.  I think he is over-rated in this market. 

Just now, jimmyking8888 said:

Canucks can afford to wait after July 1.     We might get a big name.  Besides even anybody else offered Edler the money, we could always match.    Maybe we are watching a different Edler.  I think he is over-rated in this market. 

Only other decent options are Myers and Karlsson, both right-handers who will take a huge overpayment.  All other UFA defensemen are bottom pairing quality at best.

I am really curious, who are the the can't miss stars that people want protected from the ED?  Given that none of the players drafted last year are exposed, and none of the players drafted this year or next year are either, who are they worried about?

Forwards -   Boeser, Petterson, Horvat, Virtanen, Gaudette +2 more

Defense-  Juolevi, Stecher +1

Goal    - Demko?

I acknowledge that we still have some useful players not noted, but guys like Tanev, Hutton, Beagle etc will be a lot more suspect than they are now in two years.  If the Canucks don't sign Edler, they will need two good dmen to be better than last year's defence.  Lets replace our 7th or 8th dman with a new number 1 or 2!

Archived