The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Dhaliwal saying this morning we are in big on Gardiner.  I wonder if we’re in big on Meyers too?  

His biggest failures have been in the biggest games and they were melt downs, right. I'd rather have another player but if we do sign him, limited no trade deal at best, make sure he can be traded down the road.

Edited by aliboy

10 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I expect the Tanev deal and Boeser signing next, JB should get these done, and please do not trade for Hoffman. If TO is going to deal WN then I'd make a serious play for him now.

TO has to shed cap now to protect against a MM offer sheet.  If that offer is from a playoff team, the Leafs pretty much have to match.  Four late first rounders is not worth giving up MM for.

Tanen + a b prospect ( Gadjovic) + a cheap forward who can play hard minutes (Motte) for WM + Saitsev+ Marleau 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

TO has to shed cap now to protect against a MM offer sheet.  If that offer is from a playoff team, the Leafs pretty much have to match.  Four late first rounders is not worth giving up MM for.

Tanen + a b prospect ( Gadjovic) + a cheap forward who can play hard minutes (Motte) for WM + Saitsev+ Marleau 

I'd even pay a bit more but definitely the right idea. I would go hard and make the deal.

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Colin Miller would be my ideal target. Still pretty young, right handed shot, can provide solid offense. And chances are he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than someone like Ristolainen and his -41. I imagine it would take more than Tanev though, even with the retention. 

who do you propose to play Colin MIller with?

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sorry Alf, but Toronto doesn't get Tanev if you're also making us eat Zaitsev and Marleau contracts.

Forget Nylander. And they can't have Motte either.

If there's a deal like that to be made - imo it should look something like:

To Toronto

Goldobin

Spooner

Schaller.

To Vancouver

Kapanen

Zaitsev

Marleau

Even in this type of deal, Toronto moves 6+, 4+ and Kapanen's (5ish) million of cap - while taking back a fraction = nearly 9 or 10 million of cap relief this year.

That much cap dump - should cost them at least the uprgrade from Goldobin to Kapanen imo.

No Tanev for them.  Tanev is better spent to a team that has a viable young RHD to offer imo.

If they want Tanev while not being able to offer that - it's a Kapanen principal imo - and they get to keep their cap dumps - they need to spend assets to dump them elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Wasn't Dhaliwal saying a few days ago that Edler was hitting free agency?

Dhaliwal said that the talks were stalled and that he thought Edler was going to hit free agency. But then yesterday he reported that talks picked back up and was looking like something was going to get done.

4 minutes ago, goblix said:

Dhaliwal said that the talks were stalled and that he thought Edler was going to hit free agency. But then yesterday he reported that talks picked back up and was looking like something was going to get done.

yeah, well the Canucks 'appeared' to be interested in Gardiner, but then the fantasy gaggle of smamies in Vancouver lost their voices, the rumour mill quieted down, common sense stepped up, and Gardiner's name faded off into the distance.

P&TY

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah, well the Canucks 'appeared' to be interested in Gardiner, but then the fantasy gaggle of smamies in Vancouver lost their voices, the rumour mill quieted down, common sense stepped up, and Gardiner's name faded off into the distance.

P&TY

What about JB is actually interested in Meyers?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dhaliwal saying this morning we are in big on Gardiner.  I wonder if we’re in big on Meyers too?  

I kinda wanna keep Tanev - we don’t have RHD really just Stecher Hopefully Schenn will be our 7 and Biega/Rafferty lol

i also think he’d make an ideal partner for Gardiner. 

With Edler resigned if we got Gardiner we could balance d minutes much better and I think they would stay healthier. 

Tanev is tbe ideal d partner for gardiner that is why we always included him in trade offers to Toronto to play with him.

it could revitalize him, our possession numbers would increase and he’d take less of a beating in our own end. 

Letting him build his value and then moving him at the deadline could be more worth it if he’s had a decent healthy season up till then and we are out of the playoff race.

just thoughts though

• Upvote 1

Just now, oldnews said:

the guy can only report the information he gets. It's important to triage and report on facts but a lot of these are "this team is interested" or "this team has inquired about" or "this team been fielding offers on" so not really a hard set rumour such as "Canucks are all in" or "An offer is on the table for ___ " type of thing.

It's possible that Canucks were interested in Gardiner but now with Edler they are not interested anymore. It's also possible that they are still interested. Canucks could have the 4 LHD Edler, Hutton, Gardiner, Hughes and just have one play on the right side.

Who knows...

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about JB is actually interested in Meyers?

I could live with pursuing Myers relative to Gardiner - Myers is a far better fit imo.

There is literally no need for a LHD - there is no need for one that is a liability - there is no need for a pmd with Hughes here, particularly another left handed one  - and most of all, no need to (over)pay Gardiner, who represents not a single primary need for this team.  I would be world's happier doing nothing and entering the season with Hutton at 3LHD than adding Gardiner to the mix.   Think of all the players Gardiner could get in the way of (Juolevi, Tryamkin, Hutton, etc)  

I can't think of a single worse idea than giving Gardiner 50 million.  If they're going to spend that kind of money at the very least get a rhd that is more versatile, has more size, and could potentially fill a better range of needs.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, goblix said:

the guy can only report the information he gets.

how do you know what he 'reports' - what his sources are.

flip flopping around on the hearsay of the day does not make a 'reporter' a reliable source.

I will say this - he's not as bad as some of the noise in this market - but that's a low bar wadr - and he appears to be slipping (whereas at an earlier stage he appeared to measure his material better).  At this point I don't bother paying attention - one's own intuition is more reliable - and that's a sad state of media.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Glad Edler’s signed.

Now it’s time to move Tanev.

Trim some fat.

Add dynamic pieces.

My dream for Van:

1 add a high upside, young but NHL proven Dman (Risto, Ghost, Barrie etc.) (I do like Risto here most, based on size and untapped potential)

2 snag a secondary young roster player with upside from a team with cap issues (Kapanen, Puljujarvi)

3 draft BPA at 10OA (Boldy, Newhook, Krebs)

4 sign Artemi Panarin to big money to play with EP40 and Boes

This roster + Kapanen, Ristolainen, Panarin, Q. Hughes (Calder?) is sooo much faster and more dynamic. If Olli Juolevi isn’t traded in this scenario and proves to be even remotely ready, we’re laughing.