The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i hope they front load his contract. we definitely need him for 2 years. 

They need Edler to have a performance like last year for the next 2 yrs. Hoping he doesn't feel jaded by not getting his NMC and just goes through the motions. 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Leafs won't accept. Tanev has one year left on his contract at a similar cap hit to what Kapanen will likely sign for, so they're not saving any cap space for this season. Also, Tanev is a declining asset, while Kap is an asset that's gaining value, and Goldobin doesn't have any value. Even if you remove TO's 1st, it still probably doesn't get it done. I imagine to make it work we'd have to take Zaitsev off their hands and maybe replace Goldy with someone like Virtanen. Even then, we'd probably still have to add a sweetner to get their interest.

To Leafs

Virtanen

Tanev

(?)

To Canucks

Kapanen

Zaitsev

Overpayment because of the cap benefits to the leafs and $&!#tyness of Zaitsev. Also Kapanen will get $5 - he scored 20 from primarily the third line 17 of them 5on5 with 2 shorties

Tanev, Goldy

Kapenen, Zaitsev, Marleau (solved their problems in one fell swoop), 2nd

Leafs are in cap hell, their defense is a tire fire, Tanev is from Toronto, he'll resign there

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

If we do end up trading the Tanman I hope it’s for more then a 2nd rounder. John Shannon (sportsnet bubbles) said that’s all he would give for Tanev last year at the TDL. He also would’ve given Edler a NMC for the ED... If we do trade Chris, hopefully it’s for a late first, with us retaining salary for it to happen. We will throw in a few rolls of bubble wrap as well. 

F1E3AFA6-D624-4E65-A575-7DB80FE65A0B.jpeg

Shannon says stupid crap about the Canucks all the time. It is clear he doesn't know sh*& about our team.

• Cheers 1

If these reports  prove to be more than just rumours, I hope something like this can be accomplished by GM JB.

-Tanev at %50 retained salary to Vegas for Colin Miller

Tanev would be great for them as they pursue the cup (manage his minutes more as they are deeper on D, so he can stay healthy) and this move could save them some dough as they are in a cap crunch like no other team.

Vancouver gets a youngish R shot dman who would give us a bit of bite?

Seems like a workable deal for both sides.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

If these reports  prove to be more than just rumours, I hope something like this can be accomplished by GM JB.

-Tanev at %50 retained salary to Vegas for Colin Miller

Tanev would be great for them as they pursue the cup (manage his minutes more as they are deeper on D, so he can stay healthy) and this move could save them some dough as they are in a cap crunch like no other team.

Vancouver gets a youngish R shot dman who would give us a bit of bite?

Seems like a workable deal for both sides.

Colin Miller would be my ideal target. Still pretty young, right handed shot, can provide solid offense. And chances are he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than someone like Ristolainen and his -41. I imagine it would take more than Tanev though, even with the retention. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Colin Miller would be my ideal target. Still pretty young, right handed shot, can provide solid offense. And chances are he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than someone like Ristolainen and his -41. I imagine it would take more than Tanev though, even with the retention

I think your imaginings are probably right. I would just hold hard to that offer since VGK are in desperate need of cap relief and this could be an option for them. Maybe that is just the asshole in me... but if we can take advantage of situations such as this over the next few days and months ahead, I'd be all for it!

I'd rather see GM JB play hard ball and come away the consensus victor in a trade as opposed to making a splashy trade (ie. lucic/+ piece for loui erickson) simply because the draft is in Van

Moving on Tanev at this point likely means something else is in the mix that’s coming back our way, maybe something really good to given he’s our top RHD.   Given he doesn’t play much anymore we won’t get what we hope for but it a way it will be addition by subtraction....if we get a RHD back that’s comparable and younger even more so. Got to wonder who it might be...is he back on the Subban train again?  What would he spend to get that?  They need offense and young players would JV, Tanev plus a second be enough (a certain value in the cap savings adds to that trade for them, maybe even more if we retain as well).  

OR is getting ready to go hard after Myers next week once the phones are opened for service?   Or is it a pre-draft thing?  Who knows, but he won’t be trading Tanev at this point unless someone was coming in to replace him...would welcome it ...

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Moving on Tanev at this point likely means something else is in the mix that’s coming back our way, maybe something really good to given he’s our top RHD.   Given he doesn’t play much anymore we won’t get what we hope for but it a way it will be addition by subtraction....if we get a RHD back that’s comparable and younger even more so. Got to wonder who it might be...is he back on the Subban train again?  What would he spend to get that?  They need offense and young players would JV, Tanev plus a second be enough (a certain value in the cap savings adds to that trade for them, maybe even more if we retain as well).  

OR is getting ready to go hard after Myers next week once the phones are opened for service?   Or is it a pre-draft thing?  Who knows, but he won’t be trading Tanev at this point unless someone was coming in to replace him...would welcome it ...

Tanev is on an expiring contract.  What’s his potential value at the 2020 TDL?  (Healthy, of course) 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Tanev is on an expiring contract.  What’s his potential value at the 2020 TDL?  (Healthy, of course) 

Something for sure, which is why moving him now makes little sense unless it’s to make that roster spot available for someone else.   His value is probably around a second rounder plus maybe a B level prospect or a little bit higher or lower.   Not much really, so might as well keep him on for veteran leadership and hope he’s healthy all year for once so we can flip him close to the TDL for a first instead.    I really don’t see the point in trading him just for the sake of another pick this draft ... but maybe that’s all it is too as we are hosting it.  Don’t think Woo will be ready this year so no need to open up the spot for him yet, or ask Stecher to do what he does (all the time) either.   Another guy must be in play?  Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Something for sure, which is why moving him now makes little sense unless it’s to make that roster spot available for someone else.   His value is probably around a second rounder plus maybe a B level prospect or a little bit higher or lower.   Not much really, so might as well keep him on for veteran leadership and hope he’s healthy all year for once so we can flip him close to the TDL for a first instead.    I really don’t see the point in trading him just for the sake of another pick this draft ... but maybe that’s all it is too as we are hosting it.  Don’t think Woo will be ready this year so no need to open up the spot for him yet, or ask Stecher to do what he does (all the time) either.   Another guy must be in play?  Thoughts?

Dhaliwal saying this morning we are in big on Gardiner.  I wonder if we’re in big on Meyers too?  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dhaliwal saying this morning we are in big on Gardiner.  I wonder if we’re in big on Meyers too?  

I guess they could ask Hughes to play on his off side but I don’t like that one bit.  Hard to get a shot off and your constantly taking passes with your backhand...I’m not at all apposed to adding Gardiner, he’s underrated because of the heavy criticism he’s endured in TO (he’s their Edler but four years ago, even though he’s managed three years of 43,52 and 30 points in 80,82 and 60 games and plus 52 during that time) ... a quality vet that would likely bump Edler down the depth chart at least on the PP.    Myers is similar to both these guys too with the exception he’s never been given any real PP except when Byfuglien is injured which ends up second unit for the most part...excellent 5 x 5 production.   8 points and four goals in 16 games two playoffs ago.   48 points as a rookie then injury issues derailed his career, healthy last two seasons...both come with some risks but they would also bump one of our third pairing guys out ... all three with Edler and no Tanev would be a massive, massive upgrade on our defense.  Think Edler, Erhoff, Hamhuis but even better, would be our best defense since when we were winning presidents trophies ... because we also gave Hughes, OJ and Woo coming up.  Out Hutton, out  Tanev out ?? Add Tree and boom Bennings made us a playoff team ... maybe even next year.

edit:  probably a folk tale, but if he could get either or both these guys to sign 6 x 6 contracts that would also keep the cap reasonable... after what he’s managed with Edler there is hope.  Myers will likely stay in WNP now that Troubas gone they need him more then ever...

Edited by IBatch