The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As ON has outlined, worst-case if we lose out on the big UFAs and can't swing a trade, there are plenty of veteran stop-gaps out there we can bring in for a year or two.

sure but thats the kind of thing we need to line up first unless as @aGENT pointed out the deal has a RHD coming back. If we move Tanev with no replacement ready, any agent looks at our right side depth chart and adds 2 mil and 2 years to any deal. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Stecher

Schenn 

Biega

Rafferty

Chatfield

thats what we'd be going into next season with if we cant land a UFA or make a trade, both of which seem pretty hard to do at the moment 

And like I said, that's usually what we play with anyway cause Tanev hurting himself is about as close to guarantee as it gets. Besides I think if worst comes to worst and there is no deal to be done for Ristolainen or a fair deal for Myers, Colin Miller should come for a fairly nice price tag. Making nearly 4 mil per for a guy that was a healthy scratch (if I recall correctly) for parts of last season. We have cap, they need cap. Deal should be do-able there if they want to shed some cap.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's also UFA this coming year and I don't see him re-signing here. Which means we need to trade him this year and I have zero faith in waiting until the TDL and hoping beyond hope that he's healthy this time. Trade him now while he's not wearing a cast somewhere.

Gotta be quick...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As ON has outlined, worst-case if we lose out on the big UFAs and can't swing a trade, there are plenty of veteran stop-gaps out there we can bring in for a year or two.

I'd happily do both. Trade for a Risto/Miller/Barrie etc and sign a Stralman/McQuaid/Petrovic etc

Edler, Trade/UFA

Hughes, Trade/UFA

Hutton, Stecher

Move Hutton part way through the year when Juolevi is ready, demote/trade/expire UFA as Tryamkin comes back next year.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Stecher

Schenn 

Biega

Rafferty

Chatfield

thats what we'd be going into next season with if we cant land a UFA or make a trade, both of which seem pretty hard to do at the moment 

Plus Edler, Hughes, Hutton. Pretty confident we'll get something done.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess if Green is confident of Hughes playing the right side, otherwise thats freaking thin. 

I agree that moves have to be made and as far as I know JB is fully aware. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

yeah, well the Canucks 'appeared' to be interested in Gardiner, but then the fantasy gaggle of smamies in Vancouver lost their voices, the rumour mill quieted down, common sense stepped up, and Gardiner's name faded off into the distance.

P&TY

Also think there is some cat and mouse going on....

Benning has to show during negotiations, that there are alternatives available, so his may have let slip to the press they are looking at alternatives like Gardiner, Ristolainen, Bogosian etc... Think it makes perfect sense that all these reports appeared, when it looked like it was at dead lock... of course it could also be the press fabricating to generate interest... this is the time.

Gotta wonder if JB has circled back to P.K Subban.  He wanted him when he was a Hab and apparently had a deal in place.  Asking price should be cheaper than before too. 

Edler - Subban

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn 

Juolevi - Biega

Not really revamped but expecting 3 new d-men for next season was a stretch.  

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd happily do both. Trade for a Risto/Miller/Barrie etc and sign a Stralman/McQuaid/Petrovic etc

Edler, Trade/UFA

Hughes, Trade/UFA

Hutton, Stecher

Move Hutton part way through the year when Juolevi is ready, demote/trade/expire UFA as Tryamkin comes back next year.

Like this... with Woo in the pipeline and Trim maybe next year, that could be very nice....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Edler, Trade/UFA

Hughes, Trade/UFA

Hutton, Stecher

This is the only D line up that makes any sense. It will all depend on trade costs and UFA costs though I suppose.

I would love:

Edler  Risto

Hughes  Zaitsev / Stralman

Hutton Stecher

Schenn

** obviously it depends on the trade and UFA costs - but at least that would be a significant upgrade on our D compared with many others penciling in hutton stecher as a 2nd pair; that would be a disaster of an off season imo ending up with 3rd pairing D playing 2nd D minutes.....UGH

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Also think there is some cat and mouse going on....

Benning has to show during negotiations, that there are alternatives available, so his may have let slip to the press they are looking at alternatives like Gardiner, Ristolainen, Bogosian etc... Think it makes perfect sense that all these reports appeared, when it looked like it was at dead lock... of course it could also be the press fabricating to generate interest... this is the time.

yes - showing 'interest' doesn't always indicate interest - it can indicate a number of other things - ie running the price up for / blocking/messing with a competitor - or running misdirection so that other teams aren't really aware of your  'real' targets and the hype is directed elsewhere.

It could also be intended to run interference on any Leaf attempt to get a 'hometown'/lower market value deal if they were in the running to keep him - and would thereby add to any leverage you might have in dealing with them to get rid of their cap dumps/obstacles to signing players they think they need.

I think Ristolainen would make sincere sense as an acquisition - and Bogosian could as well for the right price as a 'project' placeholder here who fills a short term need and could prove to be more.  Gardiner - I don't think anyone proposing to pay him have really thought it out even on the more surface levels.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Stecher

Schenn 

Biega

Rafferty

Chatfield

just a 'technicality' but I'd include Woo in that mix because you just never know with a young player like him.

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This is the only D line up that makes any sense. It will all depend on trade costs and UFA costs though I suppose.

I would love:

Edler  Risto

Hughes  Zaitsev / Stralman

Hutton Stecher

Schenn

** obviously it depends on the trade and UFA costs - but at least that would be a significant upgrade on our D compared with many others penciling in hutton stecher as a 2nd pair; that would be a disaster of an off season imo ending up with 3rd pairing D playing 2nd D minutes.....UGH

I think Tanev, when healthy, is a better defender than all the right d players listed here and costs nothing to acquire.  Zaitsev is too risky, an experiment with a too much term and money.  Risto will cost too much to acquire.  Stralman makes some sense, but would you give him 3 years? 

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just like: Risto, Barrie and Tanev; just to name a few, the price for these players are going to be whatever the acquiring GM is willing to pay.  I agree it is time to trade Tanev while there is still some value..

I think Tanevs value is truly diminished from 2 or 3 seasons ago.

since his appearance on me of the Team Canada’s,  it’s a snowball headed for hell.

Would have been nice when Buffalo wanted Tanev for EKane.. that was highly balked at.

I still see a possibility of him going to Buffalo, with a pick, for Ristolianen.

Buffalo fills a hole, gains a pick, and gets a million capspace,. On a team that is big where Tanev might be able to  play healthy with longetivity.

Close to Home for him with T.O. Just being across the Falls.

At 24, there is a potential in Ristos game that was seen a couple of seasons ago,. I think it would come to surface again here.

just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Tanevs value is truly diminished from 2 or 3 seasons ago.

since his appearance on me of the Team Canada’s,  it’s a snowball headed for hell.

Would have been nice when Buffalo wanted Tanev for EKane.. that was highly balked at.

I still see a possibility of him going to Buffalo, with a pick, for Ristolianen.

Buffalo fills a hole, gains a pick, and gets a million capspace,. On a team that is big where Tanev might be able to  play healthy with longetivity.

Close to Home for him with T.O. Just being across the Falls.

At 24, there is a potential in Ristos game that was seen a couple of seasons ago,. I think it would come to surface again here.

just my opinion.

I wanted him traded 3 years ago. The height of his game was likely that World Cup when he played with Reilly from TO. Top pairing on a Gold Medal team. 

His value might be less but there are a lot of teams who have to shore up their d-core for CUP play. Tanev is still a good suppression d-man. You have to think that Benning can move him if they want to.   

• Cheers 1