The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think the GM's who are jumping on the US Development team bandwagon and drafting players from this team are quite possibly making a mistake.

This stacked team made a lot of decently talented players look better than they actually are because they were all concentrated in one group.

I don't like all the Smurf picks.... these types of players look good in the regular season, but as we saw in the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs, they don't look quite so good when the playoffs start and the intensity and physicality gets turned up to max and the Refs put away their whistles.  St Louis Blues were the biggest team in the playoffs and were stacked with guys who liked to hit.  They won by wearing down the opposition with punishing physical play combined with speed on the forecheck.  They basically wore their opponents out.

No more Smurfs in Vancouver... we need big physical players who have good speed.

and that's what we got 6' 200 lbs, will probably grow an inch or two, elite skill with character and intensity....we are truly blessed. We need OJ to reach his ceiling and we have a team now that will compete for a decade+

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jaku said:

Yeah. I tried paying attention to it but man it is so slow. I just can't stand basketball's athlete's to be honest. 

Yeah their athletes are a different breed from NHLers. A bit more reserved in the NHL. More personalities in the NBA. I can understand if they rub you the wrong way.

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What a stupid remark.

Let's see... a few of the 'Frenchmen' who dominated the NHL:

Mario Lemieux, Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, Jean Beliveau, Denis Potvin, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, etc. etc. etc.

While I think it was just a joke.

One of the greatest Canucks of all time was Russian. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is a boom/bust type pick. Worth taking at this stage in the draft.

Not personally a huge fan, didn't like him in the u18's but he was coming off injury & didn't have a big role on the team. (in fairness) 

Great hands, high skill & good pedigree, nice roll of the dice for the Canes.

I don’t think he has a lot of bust potential.  With the intensity he plays there will always be a place for him.  We are just hoping it’s 1st line LW.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah their athletes are a different breed from NHLers. A bit more reserved in the NHL. More personalities in the NBA. I can understand if they rub you the wrong way.

Definitely have left a sour taste in my mouth. I also don't really understand how players have so much influence on where other players should play. There's very little parity in the league because of it.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I don’t think he has a lot of bust potential.  With the intensity he plays there will always be a place for him.  We are just hoping it’s 1st line LW.

Was talking about Ryan Suzuki incase your confused. 

Agree complete on Podkolzin, He'll definitely play in the league. 

1 minute ago, Jaku said:

Definitely have left a sour taste in my mouth. I also don't really understand how players have so much influence on where other players should play. There's very little parity in the league because of it.

If not for injuries Warriors would have won again. I love basketball but the NHL is far superior to watch than the NBA. People think NHLers have too much power don’t realize just how strong NBA players are. I didn’t watch any NBA the last couple years because of the lack of parity. Even Charles Barkely advocated NHL over NBA. Lol. Still love me some basketball though :( Raps did us proud. 

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

and that's what we got 6' 200 lbs, will probably grow an inch or two, elite skill with character and intensity....we are truly blessed. We need OJ to reach his ceiling and we have a team now that will compete for a decade+

And if Virtanen reaches his potential, the club is in really good shape.  Still need 3 very good defensemen though before the gaps have been filled in nicely

• Upvote 1