The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, wildcam said:

Yeah I sure hope Canucks keep Hoglander so much speed and gritty play in his game..

Hoglander ,Sign 1 yr X 1.1  million deal show me more one way deal..

Podkolzin, sign  2 yrs X 1.3--1.6  million show me more one way deal

I love Hogs tenacity, speed, and skill... but I really dislike his total lack of discipline. He really adversely affected Abby with his entirely unnecessary penalties in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:10 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I love Hogs tenacity, speed, and skill... but I really dislike his total lack of discipline. He really adversely affected Abby with his entirely unnecessary penalties in the playoffs.

For me Hoglander brings another element. He's genuinely excited to play hockey, on the ice off the ice on the bench IMO it's youth rubbing off on team mates. Too many of our players look like they've lost a dollar and found a dime, just lacking in jump. Hoglander brings that in spades

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

For me Hoglander brings another element. He's genuinely excited to play hockey, on the ice off the ice on the bench IMO it's youth rubbing off on team mates. Too many of our players look like they've lost a dollar and found a dime, just lacking in jump. Hoglander brings that in spades

Yes, he is energetic and competitive, his problem is that when he gets outworked for a puck or takes a bump, he just can't help himself from retaliating. and taking way too many stupid penalties. I doubt Tocchet will have any time for him till he gets that under control. If you can't trust a guy from taking stupid penalties, why put him on the ice?

On 7/4/2023 at 1:10 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Many of them retaliatory ..other teams were targetting him, often after the whistle.  I had no problem with his feistiness - at least they weren't lazy penalties.   Same with Karlsson - he got hacked at every opportunity  but gave as good as he got, even with the full face mask on.

• Cheers 2

On 7/9/2023 at 12:37 PM, Googlie said:

Many of them retaliatory ..other teams were targetting him, often after the whistle.  I had no problem with his feistiness - at least they weren't lazy penalties.   Same with Karlsson - he got hacked at every opportunity  but gave as good as he got, even with the full face mask on.

Hoglander was no more targeted by other teams than anybody else on Abby. He just took offence anytime somebody took the puck off him, or pushed him around. Far too many lazy fouls: tripping, hooking, slashing and the like - especially in the offensive zone. Garland, too is a small guy, but he sucks it up and gets the other team to take the penalty.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, Fred65 said:

Yes, Hogs is an energizer bunny, a very good skater and much stronger than his size would suggest. If he was taking penalties for initiating contact on the forecheck it would be entirely forgivable, but that is not the case - they are almost all lazy penalties: tripping, hooking, slashing and the like virtually all in the offensive zone.

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Hoglander was no more targeted by other teams than anybody else on Abby. He just took offence anytime somebody took the puck off him, or pushed him around. Far too many lazy fouls: tripping, hooking, slashing and the like - especially in the offensive zone. Garland, too is a small guy, but he sucks it up and gets the other team to take the penalty.

I disagree 100% ( well, maybe 50%, see below)

I watched about 30 Abby games and the Hoglander I saw isn't who you are describing  - maybe his style changed in the other games I missed.  He takes a lot of guff, and gives back, often after an uncalled trip, or clotheslining, where the ref sees the retaliation and not the original infraction.  Got crosschecked a lot, in the crease brawls, and unlike the bigger Karlsson, was often to the neck vs the back.

Refs in the AHL let a lot of stuff go, moreso than in the NHL

My disagreement might be just 50% because, yes, he got penalized a lot in the playoff run,  often slashes and hooks, but I do think he was targetted more by Calgary, especially, just because he was Abby's most dangerous player, is smaller, and was known to have a short fuse.  Karlsson, his linemate, was less-targeted but ofc he is a much bigger body to try and knock around

On 7/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, Googlie said:

I disagree 100% ( well, maybe 50%, see below)

I watched about 30 Abby games and the Hoglander I saw isn't who you are describing  - maybe his style changed in the other games I missed.  He takes a lot of guff, and gives back, often after an uncalled trip, or clotheslining, where the ref sees the retaliation and not the original infraction.  Got crosschecked a lot, in the crease brawls, and unlike the bigger Karlsson, was often to the neck vs the back.

Refs in the AHL let a lot of stuff go, moreso than in the NHL

My disagreement might be just 50% because, yes, he got penalized a lot in the playoff run,  often slashes and hooks, but I do think he was targetted more by Calgary, especially, just because he was Abby's most dangerous player, is smaller, and was known to have a short fuse.  Karlsson, his linemate, was less-targeted but ofc he is a much bigger body to try and knock around

Everybody in pro hockey gets checked, and big boys play rough. If you are going to respond and you are a smaller guy, you have to be as savage as Marchand - but then you have to produce like Marchand. Until Hoglander can produce like Marchand, he has to suck it up. In addition trips and hooks are not appropriate responses to being roughed up, they are just stupid penalties. I watched all of the Abby games - I live there. Garland is a good model for Hoglander. Garland draws way more penalties than he takes - he is a sneaky little bugger and bides his time to take his revenge. If you take a marginal hit in pro hockey, refs just won't call them all - just doesn't happen. What they look for and call is retaliation because endless retaliation makes the game entirely unplayable. Some teams, like the Flyers of old entirely depended on the fact that refs just won't call all of the mayhem that you initiate, so did guys like Pronger or Dale Hunter. They committed so much mayhem that to call it all would make the game unwatchable, and the NHL is about 'entertainment' not hockey according to the rule book. Guys like Stan Smyl got so many penalties not because they made bad hits, but because they caused so much retaliation, often refs would penalize him just to keep the game under control. The NHL is a business and is far more concerned about getting games in in a tiemly manner for keeping broadcasters happy and for teams and refs making plane flights.

Hoglander has a lot of potential, but to get to use it he has to stay on the ice. If Pettersson does some retaliation, the refs will overlook quite a bit of it because they know his is taking a lot of crap, but Hoglander? Who cares. If he becomes a star, then thy'll care. It's a business and fans come to see the start. If the stars are hurt all the time, the fans stay away. It is a business. On the other hand, if Hoglander hit like Smyl (they are about the same size and build, (and both are/were in great condition), and if Hoglander (like Smyl) could draw more penalties than he takes and thus be a great value to the team over and above his scoring.

Though many owners love the game, the league overall is about money. Cynical, I know, but when even a franchise like Ottawa is worth the better part of a billion, it's not just for fun.

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Everybody in pro hockey gets checked, and big boys play rough. If you are going to respond and you are a smaller guy, you have to be as savage as Marchand - but then you have to produce like Marchand. Until Hoglander can produce like Marchand, he has to suck it up. In addition trips and hooks are not appropriate responses to being roughed up, they are just stupid penalties. I watched all of the Abby games - I live there. Garland is a good model for Hoglander. Garland draws way more penalties than he takes - he is a sneaky little bugger and bides his time to take his revenge. If you take a marginal hit in pro hockey, refs just won't call them all - just doesn't happen. What they look for and call is retaliation because endless retaliation makes the game entirely unplayable. Some teams, like the Flyers of old entirely depended on the fact that refs just won't call all of the mayhem that you initiate, so did guys like Pronger or Dale Hunter. They committed so much mayhem that to call it all would make the game unwatchable, and the NHL is about 'entertainment' not hockey according to the rule book. Guys like Stan Smyl got so many penalties not because they made bad hits, but because they caused so much retaliation, often refs would penalize him just to keep the game under control. The NHL is a business and is far more concerned about getting games in in a tiemly manner for keeping broadcasters happy and for teams and refs making plane flights.

Hoglander has a lot of potential, but to get to use it he has to stay on the ice. If Pettersson does some retaliation, the refs will overlook quite a bit of it because they know his is taking a lot of crap, but Hoglander? Who cares. If he becomes a star, then thy'll care. It's a business and fans come to see the start. If the stars are hurt all the time, the fans stay away. It is a business. On the other hand, if Hoglander hit like Smyl (they are about the same size and build, (and both are/were in great condition), and if Hoglander (like Smyl) could draw more penalties than he takes and thus be a great value to the team over and above his scoring.

Though many owners love the game, the league overall is about money. Cynical, I know, but when even a franchise like Ottawa is worth the better part of a billion, it's not just for fun.

In minor hockey I frequntly encouraged players to playing lacross in the summer. Nothing short of murder is called cross check in a part of the game so also is taking abeating and walking away

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, Fred65 said:

In minor hockey I frequntly encouraged players to playing lacross in the summer. Nothing short of murder is called cross check in a part of the game so also is taking abeating and walking away

Hockey (and lacrosse) are not games for the timid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...