The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Colin Miller to Sabres for 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 5th-round pick

Just now, aGENT said:

That wasn't really an answer <_<

I know.  I wish I had a better one.  The d-man market isn't exactly popping with high value trades right now for the first time in a long time.  Ristolainen may be the belle of the ball right now, but his worth is tough to gauge with several teams being in on it.  Apparently none of them have been overly aggressive or Risto would in all likelihood already be gone.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yes because the Sabres couldn't afford both when it comes time to pay them both.  They can only realistically have one high priced top-pairing d-man.

Lucky for you, we are willing to help with your problems.  Like Big Brothers, we will send a van by your place and pick him up.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Outside of that I am not sure what you mean or who you mean.  All I know is that you need a Goalie and some defensemen.  There hasn't been much of that going around in Buffalo since Miller left.  

The Sabres' 3 biggest needs are in order:  2nd and 3rd RW, 2nd line centre, and a solid goaltender.  Goalie would be higher but I have a feeling that the Sabres are going to give the new goalie coach one season to fix Hutton.

We're ok on d-men this year, but with several contracts expiring after this season, we'll need to either promote or pick up a couple more.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres' 3 biggest needs are in order:  2nd and 3rd RW, 2nd line centre, and a solid goaltender.  Goalie would be higher but I have a feeling that the Sabres are going to give the new goalie coach one season to fix Hutton.

We're ok on d-men this year, but with several contracts expiring after this season, we'll need to either promote or pick up a couple more.

The defense is young and flashy.  You need old man Tanev with his broken bones helping the young guys out.  In all seriousness if he was healthy this would be a perfect player for Buffalo.  I am not sure why you have so much faith in Hutton.  I would put Goalie at the top of the agenda.  

Goalie 1

top 4 defensive defenseman 2

Defensive Centerman 3

Markstrom, Tanev and Sutter for Risto.  Problems solved move on and have a great day.  Hahahahaha

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The defense is young and flashy.  You need old man Tanev with his broken bones helping the young guys out.  In all seriousness if he was healthy this would be a perfect player for Buffalo.  I am not sure why you have so much faith in Hutton.  I would put Goalie at the top of the agenda.  

Goalie 1

top 4 defensive defenseman 2

Defensive Centerman 3

Markstrom, Tanev and Sutter for Risto.  Problems solved move on and have a great day.  Hahahahaha

I have little faith in Hutton.  I just think that Botterill will try and save face and attempt to fix him with the new guy they hired.  There are only 2 above average goalies on the market right now (the rest are average).  Those 2 are Bobrovsky (The Sabres won't give him the salary and term he wants) and Lehner (who would likely retire before coming back to the place where he has a million memory triggers to start him drinking again).

28 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know.  I wish I had a better one.  The d-man market isn't exactly popping with high value trades right now for the first time in a long time.  Ristolainen may be the belle of the ball right now, but his worth is tough to gauge with several teams being in on it.  Apparently none of them have been overly aggressive or Risto would in all likelihood already be gone.

Cop.

Out.

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

JT was an over payment considering the following:

1. If Buffalo got Collin Miller for cheap because they were a different conference from Vegas. Then why couldn't Vancouver get JT Miller for a similar price? Vancouver and Tampa are in different conferences. Let's not pretend that if The Habs traded for JT it would cost them another 1st. 

2. Reports from the draft floor indicated not many teams were calling Tampa asking about JT Miller. So it's not like there was a heated bidding war for him.

3. Tampa, like Vegas, are in cap troubles. And, as we've seen in other trades involving Nashville and Toronto, it's the team bailing out these teams having the leverage. 

1 is nonsense.  contrived, peripheral and irrelevent.

2 is comical - what 'reports from the draft floor'? are you talking about?  do share.

3 Tampa is not in 'cap troubles'.   They have 10 million in cap space with Point and a couple depth RFAs to sign.  They have Callahan assignable to LTIR.  They are in nowhere near the kind of cap situation that Toronto is in.  This is armchair drama.

Callahan to LTIR news surfaced June 20, days before the Miller trade.

But most importantlly, you haven't said a whiff about Miller's actual value as a player - none of that nonsense makes him an 'overpayment" - it's a bunch of peripheral cool story material.

Edited by oldnews

5 hours ago, zimmy said:

I need to hear from Jimbo why he couldn’t land C Miller or why he didn’t have any interest in landing C Miller. He needs to have an opinion on this for public consumption. There are obviously several teams who were interested in this player so I’m not so naive to think that it was either Buffalo or Vancouver but a second and a fifth!!!??? When they announce T Myers on Monday at 7x7 I’m gonna flip!!

Hopefully right out of this forum ;)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Lol, Collin Miller traded to Buffalo. Has nothing to do with the Canucks and yet CDC still finds a way to bash Jim.

No kidding eh.   For some reason MIller is flavour of the week around here.

Didn't want the player.   Not really a good fit for this team.  Tanev, Stecher, Miller is just not enough heaviness on the right side - and not a viable trio if the intention is to integrate both Hughes, and at some point Juolevi into the lineup.   Couldn't care less about 'missing out' on Miller - not the player this team needs.  What they need is a two way guy with more size, the ability to support a rookie D, the ability to kill penalties, - and Miller is none of that.

But will be happy he went to Buffalo if it means the chance of acquiring Ristolainen just inched up.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not much of a belle if the gents aren't eager to take her for a dance. 

If Botterill truly wants to move him he may need to lighten his premium-expectation stance, especially in light of (I think) local opinion I read that Risto needs his minutes limited to 2nd-pairing levels in order for him to find his comfort zone and be more effective.

• Like 1

you want the truth?

can you handle the truth ?

:bigblush:

vegas looked at both buffalo and vancouver

assessed their rosters and their future prospects

and determined that sabres were meh and were gonna remain that way

and canucks were about to take off

so a 2 and 5 from buffalo (both very high picks in these rounds)

in the eyes of vegas management

would have required a very low 1st and 4th from vancouver

to be somewhat equal and to account for in conference trading

so nucks should trade another 1st and a 4th for this miller ??

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller is at best a third pairing guy, and he’s making almost 4 million.  He’s really not that good.  He will struggle a lot in Buffalo.  Their forwards don’t play nearly so well defensively as the Vegas guys do.  

You're on fire Alf.

Miller is only a 'top 4'  in offensive situations.

61% ozone starts - and not really very good production = 16 even strength points.

13 points on the powerplay inflated his numbers.

Schmidt and Theodore are both better offensive blueliners than he is  (Schmidt with 46% ozone starts), Theodore 22 years old with better underlying numbers, better 5 on 5 production, better goal metrics as well....

But you make a very good point - that it will be interesting to see what a player like this - coming from a fairly opportune set of circumstances, does in a situation like Buffalo.

Just now, zimmy said:

I’m guessing this is tongue in cheek??? Otherwise, you have no grounds to be so dismissive. Cheers!

I thought it was funny.

Just as funny as you saying JB needs to explain to you why C. Miller did not get picked up by the Canucks lol.  Good god.

Are you a team owner???  I thought not. JB doesn't need to tell you anything or explain anything to you at all haha.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I’m guessing this is tongue in cheek??? Otherwise, you have no grounds to be so dismissive. Cheers!

Of course, but I don’t agree with what you said tho. I don’t take the hockey part of CDC too seriously ( as some obviously do). However there is a few limp biscuits in the off topic forum that I could do without.