The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Colin Miller to Sabres for 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 5th-round pick

54 minutes ago, oldnews said:

they have 5.25 million of Clarkson LTIR cap relief coming at season's start and can be 10% over the cap beforehand.

they're over by 150k not a million.

so they have about 5.1 to work with.

Sorry Old News,

Yes, they can be over cap 10% through the summer, but they have to card a 23 man roster, which needs to be under the 81.5 Million Cap Ceiling, then they can claim

Clarkson on LTIR after the start of the season.

But they are short 5 guys at this point and they are $899,999 over cap at this moment, according to Cap Friendly, which includes Clarkson, so even if all 5 signed for $650,000 each, they would be $899,999 + 3,250,000 = $4,149,999 over at the start of the season, and I think Gusev will want more than league minimum (probably a lot more), so we are more likely looking at somewhere in the 6.0 million over right now.

Capfriendly is estimating their overage to be in the 9.4 Million overage at this point for the start of the season, so I am probably being a little conservative, but I suppose they could have a gentlemen's agreement with Gusev's camp to not sign until after the first game, which only brings it down to my number minimum number of $4.1 M over, because regardless of Gusev's contract, they still have to card 23 players for that opening lineup. Any large contracts they try to bury, will have to come back through waivers, so they would have problems hiding any contracts...…..Gusev is also eligible to a contract offer from another team...…….which would be very interesting

Reeves is only $2,775,000

So, I think you and I see it differently...……….I could be wrong?????

I don't think so, but I could be

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry Old News,

Yes, they can be over cap 10% through the summer, but they have to card a 23 man roster, which needs to be under the 81.5 Million Cap Ceiling, then they can claim

But they are short 5 guys at this point and they are $899,999 over cap at this moment, according to Cap Friendly, which includes Clarkson, so even if all 5 signed for $650,000 each, they would be $899,999 + 3,250,000 = $4,149,999 over at the start of the season, and I think Gusev will want more than league minimum (probably a lot more), so we are more likely looking at somewhere in the 6.0 million over right now.

Capfriendly is estimating their overage to be in the 9.4 Million overage at this point for the start of the season, so I am probably being a little conservative, but I suppose they could have a gentlemen's agreement with Gusev's camp to not sign until after the first game, which only brings it down to my number minimum number of $4.1 M over, because regardless of Gusev's contract, they still have to card 23 players for that opening lineup. Any large contracts they try to bury, will have to come back through waivers, so they would have problems hiding any contracts...…..Gusev is also eligible to a contract offer from another team...…….which would be very interesting

Cap friendly has them at 150k over the cap.  https://puckpedia.com/team/vegas-golden-knights

What I proposed gives them an additional depth forward, +1.8 million cap relief on Reaves = 6.9 million left for 4 players, assuming your roster calculations are right.

Engelland made 1.5 last year - give him that on a re-up and it's 5.4 million for 3 players.

Give Gusev 3.4 million ? (Panarin got 3.5 when he signed with Chicago) and you have a couple million left for your last two bodies.

I could be wrong bout that  - I'm not sure - but I don't think that represents that serious a cap crunch.

Certainly and absolutely not in the same class as the Toronto Maple Leafs, who they've been categorized with.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Cap friendly has them at 150k over the cap.

What I proposed gives them an additional depth forward, +1.8 million cap relief on Reaves = 6.9 million left for 4 players, assuming your roster calculations are right.

Engelland made 1.5 last year - give him that on a re-up and it's 5.4 million for 3 players.

Give Gusev 3.4 million ? - and you have a couple million left for your last two bodies.

I could be wrong bout that  - I'm not sure - but I don't think that represents that serious a cap crunch.

Certainly and absolutely not in the same class as the Toronto Maple Leafs, who they've been categorized with.

Cap Friendly Info

Signed forwards (12)    =  $52,425,000

Signed Defensemen (5) =$17,255,000

Signed Goalies (1)        =   $7,000,000

David Clarkson             =    $5,250,000     LTIR

Thomas Tartar              =       $500,000     Retained Salary

------------------------------------------------------

18* Signed players = $82,430,000  

*Need to sign 5 more players

-----------------------------------------------------

2019-2020 cap Ceiling = $81,500,000

Currently Over...……………….$930,000

5@ $650,000...……………...$3,250.000

Estimated Min. Overage...... $4,150,000    (Based on Gusev getting $650,000 League minimum as well) (He will get more)

So, that is how I read it as of now, again, if you can show me different....I am all ears

Peace!

Again, maybe I am misreading something???????

Edited by janisahockeynut

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was only moderately ok with the trade when I thought it was the Sabres' 2nd rounder because it will very possibly be a top 7-10 (38-41 OA) pick.  Then after it came out that it was the St. Louis pick, which will almost be like a 3rd rounder, I was much much happier with the trade.

Not free, but still a very low price to pay for a young 2nd pair d-man.  It also helped the Sabres' cause that Miller spent time in Gallant's doghouse especially in the latter half of the year.

I've been checking Miller's underlying numbers and they are actually pretty solid.

Yup. Definitely charts well. Really solid overall microstats profile. Positive WAR/GAR player. Moves the needle in several key categories. 

And can’t argue with the price.

Vancouver’s expansion cousins made out really well IMO.

Here are some visualizations (as I know CDC loves these kinds of stats charts :ph34r:):

0E0F9797-9BFA-4AB3-A0BD-A77FD58C6599.jpeg.26f6bf0ee8f8c9939b6782a54bbfb759.jpegDED3BAFB-D7FA-4214-AE24-E88DA0F9DB46.jpeg.ab86842afcd36b88da627e413c3a859a.jpegA63A2B29-F231-44F1-B0A5-4EFEF8F3DBF7.jpeg.202983c520b9696315a9e916814a309a.jpeg

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, brian42 said:

Unless they gave up a big price for Miller this trade bothers me as a Canucks fan.  There have been so many rhd d-men traded the Canucks should have got one also Miller’s salary will be about half of Myers, yet he’s just as good.  There are many top 6 forwards we could sign if we traded for a D-man. 

Vancouver shot for Subban and backed off due to the cap hit.  

They then addressed our top 6 which is also a big hole.  JT Miller is a nuck, FA is just around the corner.  Myers, Gardiner and Stralhman are available and acquiring 1 or 2 FA d men is likely the team priority as they dont cost assets.  

I dont think JB is giving up anymore draft picks.  

10 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was only moderately ok with the trade when I thought it was the Sabres' 2nd rounder because it will very possibly be a top 7-10 (38-41 OA) pick.  Then after it came out that it was the St. Louis pick, which will almost be like a 3rd rounder, I was much much happier with the trade.

Not free, but still a very low price to pay for a young 2nd pair d-man.  It also helped the Sabres' cause that Miller spent time in Gallant's doghouse especially in the latter half of the year.

I've been checking Miller's underlying numbers and they are actually pretty solid.

I think you are rose-goggling your assessment - naturally ("Sabresfan")- but the idea he's a "2nd pair d-man" is oversimplfied (that is only a situational truth ie offensive) - the reason he was in Gallant's doghouse may have to do with not being a very good defenseman 5 on 5 (which is the majority of the game).  I'm not sure how you make his underlying numbers out to be solid - unless you simply cherry-pick corsi - and more importantly, his on ice goal metrics are not good at all, particularly relative to his deployment.

Trouba is better, Risto is better, Montour is better - Bogosian is better defensively.....it looks like Buffalo intends to make a few more moves.

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think you are rose-goggling your assessment - naturally ("Sabresfan")- but the idea he's a "2nd pair d-man" is oversimplfied (that is only a situational truth ie offensive) - the reason he was in Gallant's doghouse may have to do with not being a very good defenseman 5 on 5 (which is the majority of the game).  I'm not sure how you make his underlying numbers out to be solid - unless you simply cherry-pick corsi - and more importantly, his on ice goal metrics are not good at all, particularly relative to his deployment.

Trouba is better, Risto is better, Montour is better - Bogosian is better defensively.....it looks like Buffalo intends to make a few more moves.

Maybe I am rose-goggling it a bit.  I agree with the Trouba, Montour, and Bogo defensive play.  That's why they all make much more money than Miller. 

When I have time later I'm going to pull up a comparison between Risto and Miller.

Miller be a second-pairing guy on the Sabres for sure if he can go back to his 17-18 form.  The Sabres need all the offensive output that they can get.  If they have anemic team scoring this season again, they'll be a bottom 5 team.

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which D do we trade for though?  Subban?  Way too much drama.  That’s a no.  Miller?  Guy is not better than Stecher.  That’s a no.  Risto?  Guy is minus a million.  That’s a no.  Ghost?  Can’t play in his own end.  That’s a no.  Who then?  

Aaron Ekblad 

we should be targeting Risto imo, might have a nice Finnish tandem in the not so distant future with him and OJ. We are clearly trying to go fro it or as I call it our GM trying to save his job so might as well trade more picks or assets to get a top 4 D who can put up points...only needed that for ages

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

we should be targeting Risto imo, might have a nice Finnish tandem in the not so distant future with him and OJ. We are clearly trying to go fro it or as I call it our GM trying to save his job so might as well trade more picks or assets to get a top 4 D who can put up points...only needed that for ages

JB is doing his job as a GM. He is trying to make this team better. Some people are unable to understand that so they make up some silly narratives. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry Old News,

They don't have to be under and can operate at an artificially increased cap to include Clarkson's LTIR.