The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah Sakic, got something for two players that will be too expensive to keep.  Cap is doing what it was intended to do: parity.

Kinda not really.

The fact that Karlsson has a long-term, suspiciously frontloaded contract - the same type of contract that the whole CBA lockout was supposed to be about - was JUST signed. The consequences would be that teams wouldn't be able to afford all their players.

However, let's see - New York Rangers signed Panarin for an absurd 11.5 million. Big market team. Seems to be able to spend as much money as they need to do. Not parity.

Who else? Philadelphia with Kevin Hayes. Another big market team. Hmm...

New Jersey was just gifted two high first round picks. Not a big market team? They used to not be a big market team, but that was many years ago. They signed a HUGE Kovalchuk contract (which they were later allowed to get out of) proving that they are NOT as small market as they might portray themselves to be.

The only "parity" that you talk about is Las Vegas and to some extent Seattle picking up players from other teams.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Their D is great now actually. Reilly and whoever and Muzzin and Barrie. That’s a lot better than ours.

No wonder you guys like Benning, you guys have a serious misguided view of actual talent lol

They have offensive defenseman who can’t play D. “Whomever with Reilly” doesn’t work when Reilly isn’t a good dman. Nor is Barrie - both are offensive risk takers.

Also, your constant attempts to insult people says a lot more about you than anyone you think you’re insulting. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Kadri can play match up, hard minutes against both big and fast pivots. I am not talking about his cheap shots. Its also a good trade for Colorado.

He's a good defensive forward. Kills penalties. He is exactly what Colorado needed.  And they had a need to help them win in the now. We also already traded away too many futures to get Miller. What were we going to do. Trade them Brendan Gaunce? Brandan Sutter??

Toronto desperately needed Barrie.  Curious who will play defensive minutes there? Marleau is also gone. Nylander may be in for a sudden shock, change in core assignment? But they have the ability to make a further trade.  For now maybe they have a 3rd line Kerfoot Nylander Kapanen.  Just try and out gun opponents?

As an aside, I do like a component of their move with Ottawa to acquire 6'6'' shot blocking and punching beast, decent defensively Ben Harpur.  Underrated move. I have met him. He's a nice guy. Does not like the fighting but he's good at it. And is doing what he needs to, to be an NHL player.  He'll be a great depth D man for them.

Surfer, that's a story I've heard a number of times, but the facts just don't support it.

He has not touched shorthanded ice - as in 0;00 penalty killing ice time - in 2016/17, 2017/18, and 2018/19.

Would he be capable of hard minutes and penalty killing if they utilized him that way?  Perhaps - he's a decent enough faceoff guy as well - but the reality is that he is simply not a penalty killer   His highest pk ice time in the last five seasons is 10 seconds/game, next highest is 4 seconds.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2019.html

Kadri isn't really a 'hard minutes' / 'matchup' center either.

He had 52.9% ozone starts - 5th highest among Leafs forwards.

Decent center two ways - but I think you are misrepresenting his role(s).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Leafs aren't in a good position but COL just helped them out. Kerfoot is on a pretty cheap contract AND has produced 40 points for two years in a row. He is pretty much proven at this point at only 24 years old.

Barrie is a bit of a glass cannon but he's going to make the Leafs better offensively. Yes, he'll be UFA afterward which is a risk but I'm sure Toronto won't have trouble attracting him to stay.

I can't believe I'm actually defending Toronto here. They are the clear winners. Sakic did a really high risk trade and they didn't need to. They better hope Kadri cleans up his act.

Leafs are in a CAP crunch.  Unless they start trading/dumping players, they will not be able to afford to sign Barrie.

This is a rental.

Toronto is a huge market... they have more money than they know what to do with... a huge budget... too bad they are restricted by the league CAP.

Trouble is, their management keeps forgetting the ceiling is CAP not their bottom line revenues.

14 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

They have offensive defenseman who can’t play D. “Whomever with Reilly” doesn’t work when Reilly isn’t a good dman. Nor is Barrie - both are offensive risk takers.

Also, your constant attempts to insult people says you a lot more about you than anyone you think you’re insulting. 

Get out of here with logic.  Only defenseman the Leafs have capable of playing NHL quality defense is still Muzzin.  They still have no one to babysit Rielly and cover for his absolutely atrocious play in his own zone.  Babcock will need to sit him down and tell him that his defense needs to improve if he doesn't want to enjoy some time in the press box.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

I love how people here just can't accept that the Leafs won this trade handily and improved their D significantly. A week and a half ago everyone here was clamouring for JB to make a move for Barrie and the Leafs do it + Kerfoot and retain salary for a very reasonable price and everyone suddenly hates it. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

LOL

Lots of lol

No matter what the Leafs do, posters will descend on them with a huge dump. 

Great hockey trade.

One of the all-time worst threads I’ve read in this forum though. 

Are you two too Canada-day drunk to actually read this thread?
I think so. 

It's virtually unanimous opinion in here, with a few exceptions, that the Avs got rekt in this deal.

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Leafs are in a CAP crunch.  Unless they start trading/dumping players, they will not be able to afford to sign Barrie.

This is a rental.

Toronto is a huge market... they have more money than they know what to do with... a huge budget... too bad they are restricted by the league CAP.

Trouble is, their management keeps forgetting the ceiling is CAP not their bottom line revenues.

As long as teams like COL assist Toronto with dumping cap, I'm sure they'll get out of this CAP MESS that I guarantee wouldn't have helped Vancouver.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sakic got destroyed.  Are you telling me that Barrie and Kerfoot in a package couldn't get you more than Kadri and a 3rd?  Either you value Kadri way too much or your obsession for leafs hate is clouding any sound reasoning you might have.

Leafs dumped a pest that struggles to play any actual games in the post season, with a younger, faster, less douchey version.  Both played 3rd line center, both didn't get used on PK, but both got 2nd line PP minutes and both players produce 40-45 points.  Then on top of that they got a a huge upgrade on D who just put 60 points last year to go along with their other D who put up 70 points.  And Barrie is right shot to boot.  AND they got Av's to retain cap hit to help them keep Marner....  Regardless if they don't even sign him, Kadri for Kerfoot isn't that far off in value but they still get a full year of Barrie while the leafs window is wide open.  They likely move Nylander next year or next off season to free up some more cap and potentially allow them to retain barrie.....

Either way, like I said even if he is a rental, they didn't give up much to get a full year for him.  Teams at TD pay a lot more for less than 2 months of hockey.   Leafs easily won this deal.  

I'm honestly surprised you'd agree that Sakic got wrecked in this deal, despite being a COL fan.

People talk about Benning being bad at trades and FA signings... this is EASILY Sakic's worst transaction. I am just puzzled by how an apparently smart man like Sakic would make such a horrendous, high risk trade such as this that he didn't need to do - AND for KADRI for crying out loud.

You guys didn't need Kadri at all.

Awful awful trade.

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sakic got destroyed.  Are you telling me that Barrie and Kerfoot in a package couldn't get you more than Kadri and a 3rd?  Either you value Kadri way too much or your obsession for leafs hate is clouding any sound reasoning you might have.

Leafs dumped a pest that struggles to play any actual games in the post season, with a younger, faster, less douchey version.  Both played 3rd line center, both didn't get used on PK, but both got 2nd line PP minutes and both players produce 40-45 points.  Then on top of that they got a a huge upgrade on D who just put 60 points last year to go along with their other D who put up 70 points.  And Barrie is right shot to boot.  AND they got Av's to retain cap hit to help them keep Marner....  Regardless if they don't even sign him, Kadri for Kerfoot isn't that far off in value but they still get a full year of Barrie while the leafs window is wide open.  They likely move Nylander next year or next off season to free up some more cap and potentially allow them to retain barrie.....

Either way, like I said even if he is a rental, they didn't give up much to get a full year for him.  Teams at TD pay a lot more for less than 2 months of hockey.   Leafs easily won this deal.  

I have said the Leafs won the deal in this thread. But it is clear Barrie is going to FA and the Avs cut their losses and filled a need.

Maybe they “sold” low because Barrie is walking and this was the best offer without risking him getting hurt by the deadline.

But to summarize literally zero arguement the Leafs won the deal as is. When Barrie walks it's a more even deal. 

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Kadri can play match up, hard minutes against both big and fast pivots. I am not talking about his cheap shots. Its also a good trade for Colorado.

He's a good defensive forward. Kills penalties. He is exactly what Colorado needed. 

I think you're mistaking Kadri with someone else.  He doesn't play shutdown at all.  He still got 51% ozone starts and played 1:11 total all year with leafs on the PK.  That's TOTAL.  He average 1 second per game on the PK.   Kapanen, Brown, Marleau, Marner, Tavares and Hyman all took more Dzone faceoffs than Kadri.  Even Matthews averaged more.  Kadri is about a far away from being a shut down center as Petey. 

Colorado had Soderberg who was unreal in that position.  He played 60% Dzone start, averaged 2:38 on the PK per game and still put up 50 points.  In terms of shut down Kadri is a massive down grade on Soderberg who they moved out for a 3rd round pick.  Sakic has made some strange moved this offseason and it's not for the better.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm honestly surprised you'd agree that Sakic got wrecked in this deal, despite being a COL fan.

People talk about Benning being bad at trades and FA signings... this is EASILY Sakic's worst transaction. I am just puzzled by how an apparently smart man like Sakic would make such a horrendous, high risk trade such as this that he didn't need to do - AND for KADRI for crying out loud.

You guys didn't need Kadri at all.

Awful awful trade.

I don’t want to give JB too much credit (blame?) here, but maybe part of the reason Sakic took this deal was because Jim wasn’t willing to let him fleece us at the draft.  

Still shocked they couldn’t find a better deal for Barrie, unless it’s common knowledge he wants to hit UFA.

43 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Kinda not really.

The fact that Karlsson has a long-term, suspiciously frontloaded contract - the same type of contract that the whole CBA lockout was supposed to be about - was JUST signed. The consequences would be that teams wouldn't be able to afford all their players.

However, let's see - New York Rangers signed Panarin for an absurd 11.5 million. Big market team. Seems to be able to spend as much money as they need to do. Not parity.

Who else? Philadelphia with Kevin Hayes. Another big market team. Hmm...

New Jersey was just gifted two high first round picks. Not a big market team? They used to not be a big market team, but that was many years ago. They signed a HUGE Kovalchuk contract (which they were later allowed to get out of) proving that they are NOT as small market as they might portray themselves to be.

The only "parity" that you talk about is Las Vegas and to some extent Seattle picking up players from other teams.

The last sentence: is more like an accelerated welfare than parity, Bettman takes care of his closer friends like in NY, Phil., NJ and others as you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, goblix said:

Agreed... they traded out Soderberg and now Kerfoot and Barrie which were #4/5/6 on their top scorers of their season... on a team struggling for secondary scoring....

out: Barrie / Kerfoot / Soderberg

in: Donskoi / Kadri / Burakovsky

also not sure how Leafs are going to sign Kerfoot, Ceci and Marner with 11 mil in cap space :blink:

Leafs have 16.3 million in space.  Horton goes on IR giving them another 5 to use  

• Cheers 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I don’t want to give JB too much credit (blame?) here, but maybe part of the reason Sakic took this deal was because Jim wasn’t willing to let him fleece us at the draft.  

Still shocked they couldn’t find a better deal for Barrie, unless it’s common knowledge he wants to hit UFA.

They weren't going to let Barrie go for just anything, but Kadri was apparently the best they could do. This is them "maximizing" Barrie's value.

Unfortunately, Kadri is a poor trading piece AND they lost Kerfoot in the process.

• Cheers 1