The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

54 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yes. It's a team built on a house of cards really. I'm not one that thinks this trade pushes them ahead another gear. Also, I think Barrie was a Plan C. I'm thinking they had better suited right hand Dmen targeted for trade but couldn't close a deal. 

I'd rather have a Barrie to sell - even as a rental - than a Kadri.   And especially now that Barrie has a ludicrous 2.75 cap hit this year.    Even if the Leafs fell apart and missed the playoffs, while Barrie indicated no intention to return - I'd rather be dealing.renting a Barrie at a trade deadline with a 2.75 cap hit, than a Kadri.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

They have offensive defenseman who can’t play D. “Whomever with Reilly” doesn’t work when Reilly isn’t a good dman. Nor is Barrie - both are offensive risk takers.

Also, your constant attempts to insult people says a lot more about you than anyone you think you’re insulting. 

Reilly is fine at D. Lol

and yes whomever works since liljgren and sandin are probably ready ish.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure it's that funny - that 3rd in the scheme of things - with Barrie, Kerfoot and retention going the other way, barely moves the meter wadr.

Why would Jost be expendable  - he's a winger at this point.  

It is interesting how bad Turris has been in Nashville - really bad this year - and a 5x6, he might not cost a great deal if they were to cut their losses at this point, but I don't see how or where he'd fit here, and if that cap is manageable (I'm skeptical that an LE could/would be going the other way, but I guess you never know - I never would have guessed that Kadri would carry more value than Barrie in a deal like this one).

He would be a huge upgrade on Sutter. 

Edited by Tomatoes11

17 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Reilly is fine at D. Lol

and yes whomever works since liljgren and sandin are probably ready ish.

You clearly don’t watch leaf games. I live in Toronto and watch 60+ games per year. There’s a reason their success lives and dies on Anderson. It’s because the leafs defense gives up way too many high quality chances in the home plate danger zone. 

They've been looking for a stay at home dman for years for him and the media was even saying last year they expected him to be sat at times.

making a statement doesn’t mean it’s fact kid. He’s not “garbage” aka sbisa but he’s still porous 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Zadorov Johnson

Makar Cole

Girard Connauton/Graves/Barberio

Timmins/Byram longshots 

In game 7 they went with 

Girard Makar

Zadorov Barrie

Cole Johnson

Nemeth

Girard-Makar had instant chemistry.  

Timmins is expected to be on the team next season.  They thought he was NHL ready already over a year ago.  He was at development camp with a regular jersey and it looks like he has fully recovered.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is so unfair...  the Leafs did whatever they wanted to get cap space...  trading Marleau, Kadri, Zaitsev.... boom! Just like that!!

And for us, we are still scratching our heads as to how our team will look next season still being stuck with overpaid under-performers like Sutter and Eriksson... pretty damn funny to see on TSN today that we have the richest 4th line in Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

This is so unfair...  the Leafs did whatever they wanted to get cap space...  trading Marleau, Kadri, Zaitsev.... boom! Just like that!!

And for us, we are still scratching our heads as to how our team will look next season still being stuck with overpaid under-performers like Sutter and Eriksson... pretty damn funny to see on TSN today that we have the richest 4th line in Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter. 

Even with theses moves, they’re still going to be roughly $2 million over the cap after signing Marner, Kerfoot and Ceci. 

Marner is looking for $11.5 million (same money as Matthews at least)

Kerfoot will get between $3.5-4 million

Ceci is looking for $5 million

Not to mention Leafs had to give up a 1st to dump Marleau.

Toronto will be once again near the top of the league in scoring goals but their depth on D will be paper thin. I don’t know how many times you can go into a season relying on Anderson to stand on his head as a plan of keeping the puck out your net.

3 minutes ago, Aspie said:

Even with theses moves, they’re still going to be roughly $2 million over the cap after signing Marner, Kerfoot and Ceci. 

Marner is looking for $11.5 million (same money as Matthews at least)

Kerfoot will get between $3.5-4 million

Ceci is looking for $5 million

Not to mention Leafs had to give up a 1st to dump Marleau.

Toronto will be once again near the top of the league in scoring goals but their depth on D will be paper thin. I don’t know how many times you can go into a season relying on Anderson to stand on his head as a plan of keeping the puck out your net.

But at least they accomplished a lot to improve the team in a flurry of deals!!

Barrie, Kerfoot > Kadri 

Marleau aging and declining, gave up a first pick to clear $6M+

Ceci > Zaitsev, Brown 

Spezza is still a pretty good 3C for such a low price 

Let's give JB rest of the summer to work some magic... coz our forward group just isn't good enough.

• Wat 3

Like it or not the Leafs just got better they have a really good D-Core of Rielly, Barrie, Hainsey, Ceci, and Muzzin. Then they have Timothy Liljegren in the pipeline.

And Kerfoot and Spezza together are decent replacements after giving up Kadri. 

Then we can almost guarantee that Nylander is going to return to form. 

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Like it or not the Leafs just got better they have a really good D-Core of Rielly, Barrie, Hainsey, Ceci, and Muzzin. Then they have Timothy Liljegren in the pipeline.

And Kerfoot and Spezza together are decent replacements after giving up Kadri. 

Then we can almost guarantee that Nylander is going to return to form. 

Hainsey signed with Ottawa, not that that changes the fact that their defense improved

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you're mistaking Kadri with someone else.  He doesn't play shutdown at all.  He still got 51% ozone starts and played 1:11 total all year with leafs on the PK.  That's TOTAL.  He average 1 second per game on the PK.   Kapanen, Brown, Marleau, Marner, Tavares and Hyman all took more Dzone faceoffs than Kadri.  Even Matthews averaged more.  Kadri is about a far away from being a shut down center as Petey. 

Colorado had Soderberg who was unreal in that position.  He played 60% Dzone start, averaged 2:38 on the PK per game and still put up 50 points.  In terms of shut down Kadri is a massive down grade on Soderberg who they moved out for a 3rd round pick.  Sakic has made some strange moved this offseason and it's not for the better.

Good post.

I learned something.

• Cheers 1

Never been a fan of Nazem Kadri or his style of play. But overall I think both teams got some good pieces in that trade. Even if Barrie walks next summer, I still think they got a good guy in Kerfoot. With the group they have in place, I'm sure Barrie will be interested re-signing if the numbers match. In my mind Kadri was expendable in Toronto.

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What Av's needed to do this year was bump Soderberg down to a 3rd line role and move Barrie out for a legit 2nd line center and add some scoring wingers.  I was pushing for moving barrie to oilers for RNH.  But Av's picked up Burakovsky and Dosnkoi which i thought were good moves but then moving out Soderberg for a 3rd?  And then this move for Kadri....after Kerfoot has gotten off to a great pro career start?  Not sure what is going on?  He must be banking on Kadri getting back to his 30 goal seasons.  Don't know if he will.  

Lot's of people were calling for Sakic not too long ago, but then he his a homerun on dealing duchene and I think that bought him some time.   If Av's take a step back this year I think the heat will be back on. 

Sakic is still in a building mindset and President Josh Kroenke seems to agree.  He gave a lengthy interview at the end of the season and talks of how their young players still have to learn consistency and the team as well.  He praised the Girard-Makar pairing but also says they are going to need more time.

When Toronto added Tavares it limited Kadri's opportunities.  They are trying to build a team for the long run.  One of their off-season targets was rumoured to be Kevin Hayes.  

They probably didn't want Soderberg as C3 because he was never going to be there beyond this season.  They need their young players to continue to grow for the team to become perennial contenders.  Makar, Byram, Girard and Timmins are their future D-corps but they are still so inexperienced.

Don't think this is the season where he is at risk with such a young D-corps, and Johnson/Cole apparently not expected to be ready when the season starts. They are not yet one of the favourites to win it all before the season even starts.  Once they get to that point is when the pressure will be on.

Edited by mll

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you're mistaking Kadri with someone else.  He doesn't play shutdown at all.  He still got 51% ozone starts and played 1:11 total all year with leafs on the PK.  That's TOTAL.  He average 1 second per game on the PK.   Kapanen, Brown, Marleau, Marner, Tavares and Hyman all took more Dzone faceoffs than Kadri.  Even Matthews averaged more.  Kadri is about a far away from being a shut down center as Petey. 

Colorado had Soderberg who was unreal in that position.  He played 60% Dzone start, averaged 2:38 on the PK per game and still put up 50 points.  In terms of shut down Kadri is a massive down grade on Soderberg who they moved out for a 3rd round pick.  Sakic has made some strange moved this offseason and it's not for the better.

Craig Custance asked a couple of coaches their opinion on Kadri -  behind the Athletic's paywall:

“He is a valuable piece from a matchup standpoint,” said one NHL coach of Kadri. “He is great at eliminating top centers and top lines, which will free up the big three in Colorado to pick on matchups. He is an upgrade from (Carl) Soderberg. More bite in the trenches and a bit better pace.”

Another coach echoed the perfect fit for Kadri: “I like Kadri. He fills a role as a checking center for the Avs. I think it’s a good addition for what Colorado needs.”

----------

The 2 seasons before they added Tavares were his 2 x 32 goal seasons.  In 2016/17 he had zone starts of 37% and in 2017/18 zone starts of 40% compared to 52% last season.   In 2016/17 he was 2nd in the number of D-zone face-offs and in 2017/18 he took the most D-zone face-offs.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1