The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

10 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

This is so unfair...  the Leafs did whatever they wanted to get cap space...  trading Marleau, Kadri, Zaitsev.... boom! Just like that!!

I dunno giving up a 1st was a lot to give up for the Leafs

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

This is so unfair...  the Leafs did whatever they wanted to get cap space...  trading Marleau, Kadri, Zaitsev.... boom! Just like that!!

And for us, we are still scratching our heads as to how our team will look next season still being stuck with overpaid under-performers like Sutter and Eriksson... pretty damn funny to see on TSN today that we have the richest 4th line in Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter. 

:wacko:

What is 'unfair' about it?   They wasted a 1st to dump a year of that 18+ million deal they gave Marleau as he approaches 40 years old.

That 1st 'could have' been a vital trade chip to land a much needed player.

They had to give up Connor Brown in order to move Zaitsev.

The Kadri deal - kudos to them - what Sakic was thinking in this deal would be very interesting to hear.

TSN are idiots - if they believe that is the 4th line = sheer contrived trolling/stupidity on their part.

Miller EP Boeser

Pearson Horvat *(Baertschi)

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher

Sutter has and never will be a 4th line winger.  They should slap themselves for being so daft.

Eriksson has averaged over 16 minutes in spite of being disappointing here - he's not a '4th' liner.  If Baertschi is not healthy, he's a candidate to play 2RW, and Rousel is not healthy, LE is a candidate to play LW on Sutter's line.

Much ado about nothing and TSN drama.

The team has ample cap hit to sign all it's RFAs and have a few million left - with additional bodies to compete for spots and/or be moved.

Vancouver has no cap issues - whereas the Leafs - after spending key assets to move cap - still have cap problems and work to do on their blueline.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

And for us, we are still scratching our heads as to how our team will look next season still being stuck with overpaid under-performers like Sutter and Eriksson... pretty damn funny to see on TSN today that we have the richest 4th line in Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter. 

I dont agree. They have thrown away a first and a great player in Brown. They have some new dmen but all, including Muzzin are UFA next year. They still have holes and future potential holes. It's a poorly constructed team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

FFS. Now on NHL Network they are talking about how Babcock wanted Kadri gone. They are talking about how pissed management was with Kadri last playoffs. Where was this talk when Kadri was a Leaf? The media is so worried about upsetting the apple cart in TO with any negative coverage. It's a total joke. As "reporters" they should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

FFS. Now on NHL Network they are talking about how Babcock wanted Kadri gone. They are talking about how pissed management was with Kadri last playoffs. Where was this talk when Kadri was a Leaf? The media is so worried about upsetting the apple cart in TO with any negative coverage. It's a total joke. As "reporters" they should be ashamed of themselves. 

I don't think it is a mystery - or surprising - that Kadri was done there - that they'd had enough of him.   There were actual indicators that he would likely be gone - you just can't expect them to open the taps on ripping into him while they are simulataneously looking to move him.   I'm surprised that Colorado did not pick up on that to a greater extent, and ice them out in a relatively desperate Leaf negotiating position.   Kudos to the Leafs on pulling a rabbit out of that hat.

Aside from an unrealistic lack of depth (inadequate 4th line and 3rd pairing) - Kadri essentially cooked their chances with his idiocy in round 1.

He has also regressed significantly, after Babcock seemed to be making inroads developing/evolving his game.  He's a talented player, but his outcomes this year were considerably worse, in arguably easier minutes, than they had been. 

In any event, who could blame Babcock for wanting the guy gone - and if that is true - they owe him a huge thank you for doing them the favour of precipitating what became a Barrie deal.

Babcock should be the de facto GM there.

I know people are slogging Joe Sakic for this deal but I feel he comes away here pretty good.

The Toronto Maple Leafs gave up a lot for 1 year of Tyson Barrie (doubt they have the cap to re-sign him) and Alex Kerfoot isn't quite the level of player Nazem Kadri is. I like this deal for the Aves... they get to lock up Kadri for a few years, get something in return for Barrie (who probably walks next July 1st), and don't have to overpay Alex Kerfoot.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

I think this is a straight up good hockey trade.

Surprised dumbas actually managed something like that  lol

Agreed. I don't get the people who think Colorado did poorly here. Unless they 1) are biased against Kadri as a player, or 2) think Kerfoot will be well worth what he'll be getting in arbitration (spoiler: he won't...he's essentially their forward version of Hutton - maybe they'll re-sign him for cheap, or maybe he'll clean up at arb and they'll let him walk).

Barrie is obviously the best player, but it's 1 year of him at a reasonable rate, then either pay through the nose for a 29 year-old, or let him walk for nothing.

I wouldn't have liked it if Benning traded the 1st from the Miller trade for one year of Barrie. And, even if you don't like him, Kadri is at least = Miller.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

Just now, oldnews said:

I don't think it is a mystery - or surprising - that Kadri was done there - that they'd had enough of him.   There were actual indicators that he would likely be gone - you just can't expect them to open the taps on ripping into him while they are simulataneously looking to move him.   I'm surprised that Colorado did not pick up on that to a greater extent, and ice them out in a relatively desperate Leaf negotiating position.   Kudos to the Leafs on pulling a rabbit out of that hat.

Aside from an unrealistic lack of depth (inadequate 4th line and 3rd pairing) - Kadri essentially cooked their chances with his idiocy in round 1.

He has also regressed significantly, after Babcock seemed to be making inroads developing/evolving his game.  He's a talented player, but his outcomes this year were considerably worse, in arguably easier minutes, than they had been. 

In any event, who could blame Babcock for wanting the guy gone - and if that is true - they owe him a huge thank you for doing them the favour of precipitating what became a Barrie deal.

That's the thing ON. If it was any other market, particularly ours, the media would rip into it. I get real tired of the double standard. And this Dubas is a genius crap, please. It was the stupidity of that management group that gave Marlaeu that extra year knowing full well the implications. It cost them a first! A first just to get rid of one year. JB would of been ripped to shreds on TSN for that. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Although I still see a lot of value in Kadri, I will agree with this. The Leafs held their cards close to the chest there, and still managed to pull of a good deal for them, despite them being it what should have been considered the position of weakness.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

The Leafs may not have a greater sum of parts right now than they did last season....

But I think they are a better team now.

The difference imo - is that when they lost Kadri to yet another meathead act on his part - possibly ruining the Leafs dreams of revenge on Boston - he left his team in a horrible predicament - they essentiall became a 2.5 line team, with two NHL playoff pairings.  Now that isn't all on Kadri - they were already only a 3 line and two pairing team - that much is squarely on Dubas et al.

But take the present lineup - even after having to spend a pick to lose Marleau, and add Brown into a Zaitsev dump.....

Hyman Tavares Marner

Jonsson Matthews Nylander

Petan Spezza Kapanen

Moore Kerfoot Shore

They actually have the makings of a viable 4th line there - and their 3rd line could use work - Spezza may just be a placeholder that doesn't translate, and Petan is still a bit of a question mark, but that is their weak link line, and it's not that bad - Kapanen is a helluva piece there - who might move up but if you move a Nylander to that 3rd line, it's awfully soft imo.

Nevertheless, I think Brown was a relatively low price to pay to swap Zaitsev/Ceci contracts.  The Leafs could potentially be a more balanced 4 line team this year -whether or not they lost a bit of quality/volume on paper.

Reilly Ceci

Muzzin Barrie

Dermott Harpur

I think Hainsey was excellent - a significant loss to free agency - but again, the makeup of these pairings imo is better than it was in their playoff loss.

Ceci is a young guy that can move, defend and enable Reilly to be Reilly, perhaps as well as Hainsey in due course.

Muzzin Barrie may not be a thing - perhaps the Leafs load up a pairing - but in any event, again you have a pair of potentially good complenents to each other and if they go the other way, Muzzin Ceci could make a good matchup pairing while Reilly and Barrie play pond hockey.

Dermott Harpur - some people may look at that as a downgrade on Gardiner/Dermott - but Gardiner Dermott was a disaster imo - Dermott not really ready for a playoff run, at least not while depending on Gardiner, and Gardiner being Gardiner (don't like to lay to much 'blame' on Gardiner, but that was just not a good, viable playoff pairing.  At least Harpur is the kind of guy that could enable Dermott, and if not, find a not particularly scarce alternative.

Last years Leafs may have been a higher sum of parts, but imo not as well built - not as complementary, not as viable throughout the lineup.

They've lost Rosen, Grundstrom, Brown, Leivo/Carcone, wasted some 2nds on rentals, lost a 1st to a bad idea (signing Marleau to 18+million) - but they still have a pretty good forward prospect in Bracco, and a couple good D prospects.   They don't have that many holes at this point = a couple, maybe three.  Their depth may be an issue though, particularly if they get unlucky with injuries.

Now - if the Leafs - under less pressure - could use a Nylander or Kapanen to solidify that blueline - ie add a signifcant upgrade on Harpur, perhaps push Ceci down the lineup - then I think they could make waves beyond the regular season (if healthy).  They may as  well go 'all-in' at this point - they've used key futures to get to this point - I think they should remain aggressive.   They are a 3C upgrade and a RHD, maybe a bottom six upgrade away (Leivo would sure look good as opposed to a Shore type signing away imo) -  but where they couldn't afford to retain Hainsey, they managed to make two pretty good deals with Snottawa and Colorado to solve 2/3 of their right side.    Perhaps the pressure did forge them a bit.

I'd be interested to hear what Babcock thinks of this group relative to what he had to work with a few months ago.

Ok - that was the "optimistic" take.

Here's the "realism".

The Leafs have replaced Gardiner and Zaitsev - but they have not replaced Hainsey - still have a significant downgrade in that mix  and have more work to do on their blueline, while having less depth.  That is still an issue, particularly without cap to work with.

The Leafs have significantly downgraded their 3C position.  Spezza is a crap shoot at this point - a replacement level, declining veteran not really suited to bottom six minutes.

Petan is a question mark as well - whether he will stick or not - or provide the kind of outcomes that Connor Brown did.  Brown scored 29 pts, was +11, while getting 44% ozone starts = it would be extremely optimistic to hope that Petan could match that, particularly while playing with a relatively one way center like Spezza (if Spezza earns a spot in the end / isn't waived).

Nick Shore is another replacement signing / crap shoot - who may or may not be an NHL player at this point.  Decent depth signing, but not necessarily going to 'move any meters'.

In other words, the Leafs have a pair of replacement players on their '3rd line' another one on their 4th line (with essentially a rookie in Moore as well).

They have replacement level D as opposed to Hainsey - Harpur may be a decent bet, but he's an uncertainty.  Dermott wasn't exactly ready last playoffs.

They've lost a 1st round pick for nothing, a pair of 2nds for rentals, Brown, Leivo/Carcone,  as part of cap dumps and/or deals, another 1st, Grundstrom and Durzi for Muzzin, who is an expiring contract, as is Barrie.

They don't exactly have a prospect pool teeming with remaining talent - beyond Liljegren, Sandin, Durzi you have to search for longshots that could become gems.

And they only have 8.6 million in cap space - after their dumps - to sign Marner and Kerfoot.

Stuff still has to give.

And there are at least 4 or 5 question marks pencilled into their lineup.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Agreed. 2 suspensions in the 2 playoff runs.. made sense. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ok - that was the "optimistic" take.

Here's the "realism".

The Leafs have replaced Gardiner and Zaitsev - but they have not replaced Hainsey - still have a significant downgrade in that mix  and have more work to do on their blueline, while having less depth.  That is still an issue, particularly without cap to work with.

The Leafs have significantly downgraded their 3C position.  Spezza is a crap shoot at this point - a replacement level, declining veteran not really suited to bottom six minutes.

Petan is a question mark as well - whether he will stick or not - or provide the kind of outcomes that Connor Brown did.  Brown scored 29 pts, was +11, while getting 44% ozone starts = it would be extremely optimistic to hope that Petan could match that, particularly while playing with a relatively one way center like Spezza (if Spezza earns a spot in the end / isn't waived).

Nick Shore is another replacement signing / crap shoot - who may or may not be an NHL player at this point.  Decent depth signing, but not necessarily going to 'move any meters'.

In other words, the Leafs have a pair of replacement players on their '3rd line' another one on their 4th line (with essentially a rookie in Moore as well).

They have replacement level D as opposed to Hainsey - Harpur may be a decent bet, but he's an uncertainty.  Dermott wasn't exactly ready last playoffs.

They've lost a 1st round pick for nothing, a pair of 2nds for rentals, Brown, Leivo/Carcone,  as part of cap dumps and/or deals, another 1st, Grundstrom and Durzi for Muzzin, who is an expiring contract, as is Barrie.

They don't exactly have a prospect pool teeming with remaining talent - beyond Liljegren, Sandin, Durzi you have to search for longshots that could become gems.

And they only have 8.6 million in cap space - after their dumps - to sign Marner and Kerfoot.

Stuff still has to give.

And there are at least 4 or 5 question marks pencilled into their lineup.

They are still soft as tissue. They lost a lot of grit in Kadri and Brown for that matter. The dmen they added are legit righties and in Barries case a real talent. But, not the particular type of dmen they needed. Ceci is not strong at D and neither is Barrie. They still need shutdown D beyond Muzzin IMHO. They will sign some stopgaps and Dubas will be heralded again. I cant wait to be back on this topic in playoffs next year when this team gets punted for being soft and not able to shutdown other teams. What about a quality backup for Andersson?  No first this year or next? Nylander "call me when the playoffs are over" for seven million? I'm sure they peddled him but no quality offers back and this was of course not talked about by media. They needed to dump Nylander and keep Kadri but they couldn't. Way, way too much high fiving for Dubas et all for this house of cards they've built. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

But at least they accomplished a lot to improve the team in a flurry of deals!!

Barrie, Kerfoot > Kadri 

Marleau aging and declining, gave up a first pick to clear $6M+

Ceci > Zaitsev, Brown 

Spezza is still a pretty good 3C for such a low price 

Let's give JB rest of the summer to work some magic... coz our forward group just isn't good enough.

You forgot about Calle Rosen who has produced well in the AHL looking to make the jump to NHL.

You can argue Barrie/Kerfoot > Kadri/Rosen but there is no way they can resign Barrie who will be looking for roughly $9 million so if Leafs don’t win the cup this year it will be Kerfoot < Kadri/Rosen.

And I’m not sold Ceci better than Zaitsev. Ceci will put up a little more points but he’s a career -60.

Spezza is 36 and will be a horrible decision to use in a shutdown role. I’d imagine Kerfoot will be the 3C and Spezza will either sit as 4C or a winger.

JB has more work to do but it will be better to compare the Canucks to the Bruins or Blues. Those are the kind of teams Benning is trying to build. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

That's the thing ON. If it was any other market, particularly ours, the media would rip into it. I get real tired of the double standard. And this Dubas is a genius crap, please. It was the stupidity of that management group that gave Marlaeu that extra year knowing full well the implications. It cost them a first! A first just to get rid of one year. JB would of been ripped to shreds on TSN for that. 

I see what you mean - yes, not only the Leafs management group (although I think if you watched closely, it was pretty obvious that Kadri was in the doghouse for the last time there and clearly on his way out.....I think they got 'lucky' in a sense - when the Leafs lost again, things went dead quiet in Toronto.  They pumped Vlad Guerrero Jr incessantly 24/7, tried to turn the page on the Leafs - and realistically, Leafs fans probably did not have a stomach to listen to Leafs dirty laundry at that point - they needed a break to let the disappointment ease off over time.

And like you say - it's a wall to wall fluffer media market like no other.  Very rare that they - even when appropriate - rip into their assets -and maybe that has somethingt to do with Rogers Leafsnet owning that team, and the Jays, and people in the meida there knowing where their bread is buttered.  In Vancouver, you do have a polar opposite tendency - media that are not only free to rip the team, but it's a tradition here  - and it goes overboard in the other direction, often with very little merit or hockey intelligence informing the chorus of armchair critics.

The Leafs have gotten a free pass in that media - you are absolutely right.   Benning would have been absolutely shredded if his team lost three straight first round series, while seriously lacking depth, and having a pair of lottery centers to prop that team up.  He would have been pitchforked for the Marleau signing/lost 1st rounder in that dump, he'd be scewered for Zaitsev, there would be outrage for losing Gardiner for 'free', there would be outrage that there is no cap space to re-sign a relatively cheap top 4 Hainsey, he's be shredded for being vulnerable to a Marner offersheet, and there probably would have been no end of outrage over the idiocy - Kadri's lack of discipline  - that once again sealed any remote hopes of a playoff series victory.

But on that last post, the feeding frenzy here would be so extreme that no one could fail to smell all the blood in the water - Kadri would have been wrecked publicly - Benning would have been grilled day after day for it - and Kadri's market value - after a serious regression of a season - would likely, at best, have tanked.  Instead, it was crickets in Toronto, and Raptors parties, as a bungling Leafs management group idled their way towards a pending crash into reality.   Their draft day was a massive disappointment for their fans, and free agency was a trip to the NHL yard sale with replacement level signings - not even a single bottom six harder to play against element for one of the softer reams in the NHL, that got even softer in dealing Kadri.  That is still a problem for them as well.  In any event, I hear what you are getting at - my point was more to the effect that they have paid an asset price to dump their junk - but got ridiculously lucky when Sakic - for whatever reason - gave Dubas a get out of jail free card with the Barrie trade.  Unfortunately for Leafs nation, they need another one of two of those cards still, if they want to contend.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

They are still soft as tissue. They lost a lot of grit in Kadri and Brown for that matter. The dmen they added are legit righties and in Barries case a real talent. But, not the particular type of dmen they needed. Ceci is not strong at D and neither is Barrie. They still need shutdown D beyond Muzzin IMHO. They will sign some stopgaps and Dubas will be heralded again. I cant wait to be back on this topic in playoffs next year when this team gets punted for being soft and not able to shutdown other teams. What about a quality backup for Andersson?  No first this year or next? Nylander "call me when the playoffs are over" for seven million? I'm sure they peddled him but no quality offers back and this was of course not talked about by media. They needed to dump Nylander and keep Kadri but they couldn't. Way, way too much high fiving for Dubas et all for this house of cards they've built. 

I agre with almost all of that, but where I would differ is with Ceci - I think he's a good young defensive blueliner with room to uptick (not always the easiest thing to do in the context of a Leafs blueline) - but I like that move for the Laffs even if they had to give up Brown.  I thought it might actually cost them more than Brown to  move Zaitsev, so I can't rip that deal - I would have made it as well.

But lots of problems remaining imo - still no real, legit shutdown players anywhere to be found in that forward group - and they need to replace what Hainsey brought - and that's just a start, while still being in cap hell with Marner/Kerfoot and only 8.6 million cap.  They may be close once Horton hits LTIR, but they need cap to work with in the meantime - and imo have a serious lack of depth.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I see what you mean - yes, not only the Leafs management group (although I think if you watched closely, it was pretty obvious that Kadri was in the doghouse for the last time there and clearly on his way out.....I think they got 'lucky' in a sense - when the Leafs lost again, things went dead quiet in Toronto.  They pumped Vlad Guerrero Jr incessantly 24/7, tried to turn the page on the Leafs - and realistically, Leafs fans probably did not have a stomach to listen to Leafs dirty laundry at that point - they needed a break to let the disappointment ease off over time.

And like you say - it's a wall to wall fluffer media market like no other.  Very rare that they - even when appropriate - rip into their assets -and maybe that has somethingt to do with Rogers Leafsnet owning that team, and the Jays, and people in the meida there knowing where their bread is buttered.  In Vancouver, you do have a polar opposite tendency - media that are not only free to rip the team, but it's a tradition here  - and it goes overboard in the other direction, often with very little merit or hockey intelligence informing the chorus of armchair critics.

The Leafs have gotten a free pass in that media - you are absolutely right.   Benning would have been absolutely shredded if his team lost three straight first round series, while seriously lacking depth, and having a pair of lottery centers to prop that team up.  He would have been pitchforked for the Marleau signing/lost 1st rounder in that dump, he'd be scewered for Zaitsev, there would be outrage for losing Gardiner for 'free', there would be outrage that there is no cap space to re-sign a relatively cheap top 4 Hainsey, he's be shredded for being vulnerable to a Marner offersheet, and there probably would have been no end of outrage over the idiocy - Kadri's lack of discipline  - that once again sealed any remote hopes of a playoff series victory.

But on that last post, the feeding frenzy here would be so extreme that no one could fail to smell all the blood in the water - Kadri would have been wrecked publicly - Benning would have been grilled day after day for it - and Kadri's market value - after a serious regression of a season - would likely, at best, have tanked.  Instead, it was crickets in Toronto, and Raptors parties, as a bungling Leafs management group idled their way towards a pending crash into reality.   Their draft day was a massive disappointment for their fans, and free agency was a trip to the NHL yard sale with replacement level signings - not even a single bottom six harder to play against element for one of the softer reams in the NHL, that got even softer in dealing Kadri.  That is still a problem for them as well.  In any event, I hear what you are getting at - my point was more to the effect that they have paid an asset price to dump their junk - but got ridiculously lucky when Sakic - for whatever reason - gave Dubas a get out of jail free card with the Barrie trade.  Unfortunately for Leafs nation, they need another one of two of those cards still, if they want to contend.

Thanks and very well put. Not sure what went on with Sakic there. Its befuddling. Im curious what he tried to ding JB for at the draft for Barrie. I applaud JB for sticking to his guns while under a lot of pressure to make a splash. 

I hope Barrie signs with the Canucks next summer as a UFA. Can you imagine the crying from leafs media?

Leafs are going all in on one season with no depth, no grit, and no cap.

Another GM should absolutely force their hand  right now and sign Marner to an offer sheet. I dont think based on the crumbling mirage they have built that it can withstand letting Marner go for futures. 

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

I hope Barrie signs with the Canucks next summer as a UFA. Can you imagine the crying from leafs media?

Leafs are going all in on one season with no depth, no grit, and no cap.

Another GM should absolutely force their hand  right now and sign Marner to an offer sheet. I dont think based on the crumbling mirage they have built that it can withstand letting Marner go for futures. 

I think a real good chance it happens. Tanev will be gone and a nice landing spot will have been cleared for Barrie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Although I still see a lot of value in Kadri, I will agree with this. The Leafs held their cards close to the chest there, and still managed to pull of a good deal for them, despite them being it what should have been considered the position of weakness.

I'm curious though what good it does a cap-strapped team trading for players' rights (Ceci, Kerfoot).  They need pretty much all their remaining cap to sign Marner.  I suspect signing these two will take a minimum 4M AAV.  If they don't get signed, then do the Leafs really win either deal?

I'm no cap expert, but as I see it, unless Marner leaves a few million on the table (and I don't see why he should when Matthews didn't), I don't see any options for Dubas that doesn't involve trading Nylander.  However, they haven't cared much about D for a while now, so maybe moving Reilly or Muzzin are options they'd consider to keep their top-6 intact.