The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Nylander (Buf) traded to Chi for Jokiharju

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Really like this deal for Buffalo. Honestly Jokiharju sounds like someone we should have been in on.

I really don't think much of Nylander as a prospect. Doubt he makes it in the NHL.

We don’t really have a prospect on Nylanders level that we’d be willing to part with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's his father's old NHL jersey.  He played for the Blackhawks once upon a time ago.

Ah yes, I remember the glory days of Nylander, Steve Sullivan and Kyle Calder.  Right about the same time I thought Steve McCarthy was gonna be Norris winner someday.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

This, and I dont know if we need to trade for more projects. I want quality like TJ Miller. 

If we’re trading for projects I’d rather do a deal for Gusev or Pulljujarvi who I think would cost much less.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Ah yes, I remember the glory days of Nylander, Steve Sullivan and Kyle Calder.  Right about the same time I thought Steve McCarthy was gonna be Norris winner someday.

Believe it or not, the father played pro hockey up until a few years ago.  I think he was even on a team with one of his sons in the Swedish league.

Did we have anything equivalent to Nylander that we could have moved the the Hawks for Jok? 

It's kinda difficult to gauge, because Nylander was a high pick and all, but it's hard for me to believe that his stock hasn't fallen significantly since he was selected. 

Would Virtanen have had similar value?

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Did we have anything equivalent to Nylander that we could have moved the the Hawks for Jok? 

It's kinda difficult to gauge, because Nylander was a high pick and all, but it's hard for me to believe that his stock hasn't fallen significantly since he was selected. 

Would Virtanen have had similar value?

That was my thought too.

I would probably argue that JV is a better player than AN, both today and going forward... and I would have absolutely traded him for HJ.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's hard to say in my opinion. It would really depend on which team asked for what player first I would imagine. Perhaps it's hard to imagine Chicago wanting Nylander but you never know.

Remember: Nylander's only 21. He literally had his first few games when he was 19.

I'm not saying I would have given up on him. Just looks like Buffalo is. They got a great player for him though. So there's that at least. With the lack of talk about him I was beginning to think he'd get traded for what Pouliot/Baertschi was traded for. Middling picks. 

55 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'd give up an asset but 10th overall is a little much for me to give up.

51 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'd give Pods the nod on potential over Nylander. If his last name wasn't Nylander I'm guessing there wouldn't be the fuss over him. I really dont like his game. 

It probably is a bit of an overpayment on paper, but I'm not as high on Podkolzin as some others. I think he'll be a good player, but Jokiharju has the potential to be better in a more important position that also happens to be arguably our biggest need. 

Just now, nergish said:

That was my thought too.

I would probably argue that JV is a better player than AN, both today and going forward... and I would have absolutely traded him for HJ.

I would make that trade too. I like Jake, and still think he can break out as a 20-20 middle 6 type of player, but Jokiharju would have filled a need and given us a pretty solid looking future D core, with Jokiharju, Woo, Stetcher and Tryamkin on the right and Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone on the left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Stan must think that he can capture lighting in the bottle.

Either that or that Sabre’s screwed up Nylander's development.

Time will tell, I like this trade for Buffalo right now.

People in Chicago are saying that because Quenneville was high on Jokiharju, that put a target on his back with the new coach.

Edited by SabreFan1

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It probably is a bit of an overpayment on paper, but I'm not as high on Podkolzin as some others. I think he'll be a good player, but Jokiharju has the potential to be better in a more important position that also happens to be arguably our biggest need. 

I get it. We need another young righty. I'm just dead against trading prospects before you even see what you got. Very, very dangerous game. In the case of this trade both teams are probably confident in what they were trading.

oooooo... Nylander throwing some shade!!! :lol:   He plays poorly and it's Rochester's fault.  <_<

"Buffalo, that kind of stuff, that's in the past. Obviously thought maybe I would be in the NHL sooner than I have been, but I'm just really excited, looking forward to being part of the Blackhawks organization," Nylander said. "Really good with development players, so they actually know what they're doing."

• Haha 2