The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Wrong side, wrong wing.  The Buffalo news today:  

Behind Ristolainen on the right side are Montour, Miller, Jokiharju and Zach Bogosian (who doesn't figure to start the season due to hip surgery). Throw in on-the-cusp-of-the-NHL Borgen, Casey Nelson and Fitzgerald and you've got a massive surplus.

The Sabres are ultra heavy at right defense and left wing and far too thin at center and right wing.

Yup, I'd think any offer would probably start with Sutter and Virtanen.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Wrong side, wrong wing.  The Buffalo news today:  

Behind Ristolainen on the right side are Montour, Miller, Jokiharju and Zach Bogosian (who doesn't figure to start the season due to hip surgery). Throw in on-the-cusp-of-the-NHL Borgen, Casey Nelson and Fitzgerald and you've got a massive surplus.

The Sabres are ultra heavy at right defense and left wing and far too thin at center and right wing.

I still think something could work there,.  Sutter, Baer..   but that’s only us moving dead weight anyway..  I’m sure no matter who is involved a 2nd rounder is involved at least..

I don’t pay to much attention to right or left sides with D men,. Many prefer the opposite side to their hand of play.. the offensive side of Defense has players roving to open ice with the puck..  

When I hear guys talk about right hand D or Left hand D it r3minds me of the dead puck era and wooden sticks.

The game has evolved, the talent pool is wide and deep.

19 hours ago, Rush17 said:

We might actually beat the Leafs to the Second Round. :lol:

The Leafs need to rebuild. .. you heard it here first.   They will not win a Cup with Harry Potter as GM.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I still think something could work there,.  Sutter, Baer..   but that’s only us moving dead weight anyway..  I’m sure no matter who is involved a 2nd rounder is involved at least..

I don’t pay to much attention to right or left sides with D men,. Many prefer the opposite side to their hand of play.. the offensive side of Defense has players roving to open ice with the puck..  

When I hear guys talk about right hand D or Left hand D it r3minds me of the dead puck era and wooden sticks.

The game has evolved, the talent pool is wide and deep.

Remembers buying my first good hockey stick.. Titan wood stick for around 12$ ;)

26 minutes ago, tas said:

no. he simply recognized what point in the lifecycle the roster he was overtaking was at and did what he had to do to get to where we are now. moving on from kesler, garrison, hamhuis, higgins, etc. wasn't taking a last stab at glory. he filled in the age and roster gaps as best he could with his hands tied by long term contracts that either nobody wanted or that had NMC/NTC. 

Garrison and Kesler was gone the summer he arrived. He supported his old core to help them remain competitive in hopes of giving them one last shot.  

What other reasoning is there to sign vbrata, Miller, vanek, eriksson. If he was simply letting the old core die, there’s no reason to filling the roster out even more. If obviously wasn’t his plan that they not work out, as that would be a waste of FA money for consecutive bottom feeding years.  They wanted to compete, they wanted playoffs. They public’s stated that. They fired a coach because he didn’t achieve that. And then they reset, changed focus and started down the new path. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

as fun as it was reading calgary fans comments on the signing, especially after the terms were disclosed, it was great reading about how happy they are that Ferland is back in the Pacific so he can terrorize McD.

do you have a link to those comments, I'd like to read through them

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Remembers buying my first good hockey stick.. Titan wood stick for around 12$ ;)

I still have this relic..  very sharp blade on it ,

has retired as a weapon of self defence, . Vandals, thieves, hooligans, ect.. ect..  oh and the odd spider kill.

854210E1-5336-47B5-A26F-9CD71F64C008.jpeg

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Garrison and Kesler was gone the summer he arrived. He supported his old core to help them remain competitive in hopes of giving them one last shot.  

What other reasoning is there to sign vbrata, Miller, vanek, eriksson. If he was simply letting the old core die, there’s no reason to filling the roster out even more. If obviously wasn’t his plan that they not work out, as that would be a waste of FA money for consecutive bottom feeding years.  They wanted to compete, they wanted playoffs. They public’s stated that. They fired a coach because he didn’t achieve that. And then they reset, changed focus and started down the new path. 

I agree that JB’s path to building his new (young) core was convoluted.  However, does it mater how he got there?  He’s there now, right?  Great young core.  Excellent supporting cast.  Really good prospects coming along.  Rebuild, retool, transition.  Call it what you like.  JB built us an exciting now, and a really good future.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Is this the best signing of the off-season?

Ferlund is only 27 years old, an age where many NHL players are in their prime and expected to stay in their prime for a few years at least.

He is a legitimate Power Forward, fully developed, controls the front of the net on the power play, hits like a cement truck, and backs it all up with his own very good pugilism.

He is a fan favorite and (if reports are true) a valued teammate.

He tallied 18, 25, 41, and 40 points in his last 4 years and averaged 73 games per year.

He is 6 foot 1 and 217 pounds and skates like the wind.

He also fills a position where we were lacking as well as bringing some of the toughest play in the league.

We signed all of this for $3.5m per year for four years without crippling contract provisions.

What am I missing here?

I can't believe we got all this for this price and terms.

Possibly yes.. of all in the league.

But look at the value in the 3 “new” player signings as a total..  Miller, Myers, Ferland..  in 2 weeks.. that’s a tremendous amount of Boom.!

• Upvote 3

Just now, SilentSam said:

Possibly yes.. of all in the league.

But look at the value in the 3 “new” player signings as a total..  Miller, Myers, Ferland..  in 2 weeks.. that’s a tremendous amount of Boom.!

And they are all at cap numbers that leave plenty for the young core guys.  

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Reminded me of my first stick purchases, a Sher-Wood, and later that fall, a Victoriaville.

Both were about that same price, which was a heck of a lot of money to me in the sixties.

(Sorry it is off topic; just had my failing old memories stirred...)

• Cheers 2