Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-MTL

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

To MTL:

Loui Eriksson, 3 years ,6M$

**Late pick or low level prospect could added

To VAN:

Karl Alzner, 3 years, 4.625M$

- Reunite Eriksson and Julien, where he had success.  

- Alzner fell off a cliff drastically since leaving Washington, but hometown boy could provide leadership and depth in case of injury riddle defense or good leadership for Utica.  Better him sitting as 7/8th D-man than Eriksson IMO.

Where it gets interesting, Alzner buy-out clause cost if bought out in June 2020.

2020-21 - 3.9M$

2021-22 - 1.9M$

2022-23 - 833k

2023-24 - 833k

Its definitely not the worst option I've ever heard. Alzner would definitely be cheaper to bury in Utica if we needed to.

To MTL:

Loui Eriksson, 3 years ,6M$

**Late pick or low level prospect could added

To VAN:

Karl Alzner, 3 years, 4.625M$

- Reunite Eriksson and Julien, where he had success.  

- Alzner fell off a cliff drastically since leaving Washington, but hometown boy could provide leadership and depth in case of injury riddle defense or good leadership for Utica.  Better him sitting as 7/8th D-man than Eriksson IMO.

Where it gets interesting, Alzner buy-out clause cost if bought out in June 2020.

2020-21 - 3.9M$

2021-22 - 1.9M$

2022-23 - 833k

2023-24 - 833k

Phone JB.  Seriously, you have a great idea.  Phone JB right friggin’ now.  

why wouldn't montreal just buy out Alzner (nucks would have bought out loui if that were feasible)

loui adds cap stress to them and saves us a fair bit by moving him

it is also terribly optimistic to believe he will somehow reverse his downward trend

i really do not see why montreal would do this

i think it would cost a fair bit more then just taking on Alzner

they need the cap space so they can present additional offer sheets and entertain us through this long slow summer :P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I responded to this idea in another thread. In the interest of saving time I’ll just cut and paste it. Lol. 

The thing is. Where does Eriksson fit into Montreal’s lineup? Certainly not the top 6. I’m not even sure he’d be top 9. Montreal is strong on left wing. (Drouin , Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen). Less so on the right.

Bergevin is on record saying you can never have too many defencemen. I think they’re content to have him sitting in the minors as insurance against injuries.  $3.5m against the cap with him in the minors is better than $6m against the cap for a 4th line player

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

why wouldn't montreal just buy out Alzner (nucks would have bought out loui if that were feasible)

loui adds cap stress to them and saves us a fair bit by moving him

it is also terribly optimistic to believe he will somehow reverse his downward trend

i really do not see why montreal would do this

i think it would cost a fair bit more then just taking on Alzner

they need the cap space so they can present additional offer sheets and entertain us through this long slow summer :P

True that they could always buy out Alzner, but at the same time it is an admission that Bergevin messed that one up (even though everyone knows it, including himself).

By shipping him out, he kinda shows he was able to correct his mistake, (despite acquiring another mistake lol).  Hoping that Julien can convince Bergevin that he can work with Eriksson despite his late struggles.  MTL also have been trying to acquire a forward and Bergevin has been known for taking cheap risk in the past ( Semin, Streit, Hemsky, Radulov).  Hoping he does the same with Eriksson, even though he’s not cheap, he’s still getting rid of a contract too.

I think Bergevin has made worst trade in the past, you never know :lol:

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

True that they could always buy out Alzner, but at the same time it is an admission that Bergevin messed that one up (even though everyone knows it, including himself).

By shipping him out, he kinda shows he was able to correct his mistake, (despite acquiring another mistake lol).  Hoping that Julien can convince Bergevin that he can work with Eriksson despite his late struggles.  MTL also have been trying to acquire a forward and Bergevin has been known for taking cheap risk in the past ( Semin, Streit, Hemsky, Radulov).  Hoping he does the same with Eriksson, even though he’s not cheap, he’s still getting rid of a contract too.

I think Bergevin has made worst trade in the past, you never know :lol:

Bergevin has had no problems cutting ties with players he’s brought in that didn’t work out. So your reasoning that he wouldn’t want to admit an error holds no water. 

7 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Bergevin has had no problems cutting ties with players he’s brought in that didn’t work out. So your reasoning that he wouldn’t want to admit an error holds no water. 

Yeah, players on cheap 1 year deal, that preferred to terminate their contract mid season rather than getting paid and having to stay in MTL.  Not someone he paid 20M and has untradeable contracts.

Edited by timberz21

Yeah, players on cheap 1 year deal, that preferred to terminate their contract mid season rather than getting paid and having to stay in MTL.  Not someone he paid 20M and has untradeable contracts.

I think burying Alzner in the minors when he clearly couldn’t play was a pretty clear statement that he admitted the signing was a mistake. 

Regardless, I’ve stated the reason I don’t see the trade making sense for Montreal. Ericksson simply has no place in the Montreal lineup. It takes far less cap space to hang onto Alzner in the minors as insurance against injury than trying to force a $6m contract onto what would likely be the 4th line 

Edited by qwijibo

yah I'm with coastal on this one.. What's MTL's motivation? I don't think a low level prospect gets it done.. 

Their prospect pool seems pretty decent & fairly balanced, but I'd suspect they'd want defense as a sweetener.. Maybe Brisebois makes it happen? 

Other than that, I think it's a great idea

32 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

For this trade to happen, I think a mid level prospect may need to added by the Canucks. 

Montreal has one of the deepest and most balanced prospect pools in the league at the moment.  A mid level prospect does not change the fact that there’s no place on the Montreal roster for Eriksson