The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes sold to Meruelo

Rate this topic

As of an hour ago Alex Meruelo is the new owner of the Arizona Coyotes

I'm sure the rest of the owners are pretty happy about this.

I'm also interested to see how the arena situation works out and if it doesn't if the NHL will allow him to relocate the team.  Typically I believe there is a 7 year waiting period but I can see that being waived if the team isn't profitable.

Edited by Crimson

Wonder where they move.  As much as Houston seems to be the frontrunners, if Seattle works out well Portland wouldn't be a bad option with their WHL heritage.

There is zero chance they stay in Arizona once Bettman is gone and we have a commissioner who actually cares about the sport.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Wonder where they move.  As much as Houston seems to be the frontrunners, if Seattle works out well Portland wouldn't be a bad option with their WHL heritage.

There is zero chance they stay in Arizona once Bettman is gone and we have a commissioner who actually cares about the sport.

Bettman is not going anywhere. He is making money for the owners and they love him. Wouldn’t be surprised if that  weasel will be there for another decade. 

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Once Bettman is gone, lol

He'll never give up the reigns on his evil empire

150570-nhl-lockout-thread-s-over-yahoo-b

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

Once Bettman is gone, lol

He'll never give up the reigns on his evil empire

150570-nhl-lockout-thread-s-over-yahoo-b

More like...

Once Bettman is gone, the fans will have a whole new commissioner that they can whine, b*tch, and complain about. 

Let's not pretend like a new commissioner is suddenly going to cater to the wishes of individual team's fans.  He's going to do whatever his bosses are paying him to do, just like his predecessor did.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

More like...

Once Bettman is gone, the fans will have a whole new commissioner that they can whine, b*tch, and complain about. 

Let's not pretend like a new commissioner is suddenly going to cater to the wishes of individual team's fans.  He's going to do whatever his bosses are paying him to do, just like his predecessor did.

Exactly. Bettman has grown the game, made owners tons of money, and instituted a salary cap (an owner-considered holy grail not long ago). The only way he leaves is if he decides to quit.

I hate lots if things about him, not the least of which is the sheer corruption of the league and the dual have/have not rules (Luongo recapture vs allowing indefinite ltir rather than having to retire, etc.) but he has done what the owners wanted and much more. And despite being natural enemies, the nhlpa, agents, and players probably love what he has done too. A rising tide lifts all boats.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1