The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Ryan Callahan, 2020 5th-round pick to Senators for Mike Condon, 2020 6th-round pick

38 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let's get this Eriksson thing out of the way.

Benning has carefully rebuilt the team, and Eriksson, albeit not the offensive dynamo he was suppose to be, is a great defensive player.

I keep seeing this posted by those defending Loui, that hes this "great defensive player". Maybe he used to be, but he's been fairly average while with the canucks. There were countless clips from his seasons here where he's been caught floating or not back checking, or just getting beat to pucks by his man. I really have not seen anything from him defensively that would warrant "great". His overall game has been garbage, he's softer than Charmin. 3 hits total last season. The lowest in the league (not counting guys who only played 10-20 games). His desire and effort is non existent. 

He needs to be moved, but every day that passes i start to think no one will take him unless we throw in a big sweetener, or worse he will corleone the deal to any team he doesn't want to g to.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let's get this Eriksson thing out of the way.

Benning has carefully rebuilt the team, and Eriksson, albeit not the offensive dynamo he was suppose to be, is a great defensive player, and one

every competing team needs......at 6M...no, but he is not useless to Benning. So I don't think he is going to be shipped out unless there is something useful

coming back. ( I think we need to stop whining about Loui, he will be here until there is a deal) which could be any time in the next 3 years.

As for his comments.....I like a lot of other CDC did not like it, but honestly, it wasn't anything, a lot of us do it at work on a regular basis. Green has heard 

it before...….and as a former player, has most likely whined some himself...…...move on

The only reason to move Loui is the cap savings, and if it costs us, or we don't get something decent back, then it ain't happening...….

down to Utica he goes

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I still like my Eriksson, $2m retained + Goldobin (or similar value asset) for Boedker proposal. Have to think something along those lines is quite doable...assuming Eriksson realizes it may be a crappy NHL team like OTT, or likely the AHL if he doesn't smarten up and waive.

I'd rather take back Gaboric than retain the 2 mil, but sure why the heck not. Doubt Loui waives for Ottawa either tho. 

Loui should just agree to terminate already, he'll get picked up for 2 mil per by someone for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd rather take back Gaboric than retain the 2 mil, but sure why the heck not. Doubt Loui waives for Ottawa either tho. 

Loui should just agree to terminate already, he'll get picked up for 2 mil per by someone for sure. 

No cash incentive for OTT to swap Eriksson and Gaborik.

15 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I keep seeing this posted by those defending Loui, that hes this "great defensive player". Maybe he used to be, but he's been fairly average while with the canucks. There were countless clips from his seasons here where he's been caught floating or not back checking, or just getting beat to pucks by his man. I really have not seen anything from him defensively that would warrant "great". His overall game has been garbage, he's softer than Charmin. 3 hits total last season. The lowest in the league (not counting guys who only played 10-20 games). His desire and effort is non existent. 

He needs to be moved, but every day that passes i start to think no one will take him unless we throw in a big sweetener, or worse he will corleone the deal to any team he doesn't want to g to.

its not so much a matter of "defending him" vs just not throwing out unsubstantiated opinion. The guy has a lot of value on the PK.

Eriksson is particularly effective on the penalty kill, which plays to his strengths: positioning, reading the play, and moving the puck up ice without worrying about creating a good scoring chance at the other end. In fact, Eriksson isn’t just a good penalty killer: he’s one of the NHL’s best.
Eriksson led all Canucks skaters in the rate of unblocked shot attempts (fenwick) against, scoring chances against, and expected goals against while on the penalty kill. He was second in the rate of actual goals against to Brandon Sutter.
League-wide, Eriksson was 16th in the rate of unblocked shot attempts against, 5th in the rate of expected goals against, and 6th in the rate of goals against. If Eriksson isn’t in the lineup, someone else will have to pick up the slack on the penalty kill.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/what-can-the-canucks-do-with-loui-eriksson-1.23884404

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

its not so much a matter of "defending him" vs just not throwing out unsubstantiated opinion. The guy has a lot of value on the PK.

Eriksson is particularly effective on the penalty kill, which plays to his strengths: positioning, reading the play, and moving the puck up ice without worrying about creating a good scoring chance at the other end. In fact, Eriksson isn’t just a good penalty killer: he’s one of the NHL’s best.
Eriksson led all Canucks skaters in the rate of unblocked shot attempts (fenwick) against, scoring chances against, and expected goals against while on the penalty kill. He was second in the rate of actual goals against to Brandon Sutter.
League-wide, Eriksson was 16th in the rate of unblocked shot attempts against, 5th in the rate of expected goals against, and 6th in the rate of goals against. If Eriksson isn’t in the lineup, someone else will have to pick up the slack on the penalty kill.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/what-can-the-canucks-do-with-loui-eriksson-1.23884404

6m for a penalty killer? No thanks.

Context matters. At 6m, if the only thing loui can do is penalty kill... He's garbage.

Edited by Kushman
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah, I thought there was some real cash involved for Gabby. OK then, retention it is. 

They're both basically $3m per in actual cash remaining. Gaborik's just one year shorter.

Just now, aGENT said:

They're both basically $3m per in actual cash remaining. Gaborik's just one year shorter.

well thats interesting.... maybe something like trading Loui, Goldy and a 3rd e.g., for Gabby makes that extra Loui year worth it for Ottawa then.

Dunno man, I would like this deal or your proposal, just have a hard time seeing Loui waiving for Ottawa if he declined Edmonton. 

yeah how did I know that would be the response. We all know he's overpaid. 

Of course that was the response. It's the fact. bringing up his penalty killing as if that would justify his 6m contract is nonsense.

5on5 he's garbage. No need to sugar coat things, his time has past and the canucks were unfortunate in that they signed him without even getting one decent season out of him

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kushman said:

Of course that was the response. It's the fact. bringing up his penalty killing as if that would justify his 6m contract is nonsense.

5on5 he's garbage. No need to sugar coat things, his time has past and the canucks were unfortunate in that they signed him without even getting one decent season out of him

no he's not "garbage" he's just overpaid. There's a difference. He's a very good defensive player who can put up 30 pts. That makes him worth about 1/2 his current salary. 

The problem with the narrative you're pushing is its not based in his actual abilities and it leads to really bad trade ideas.

Maybe try the strain that makes facts more accessible. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

down to Utica he goes

Send him down on the very first day of camp and things will get real for loui quickly!  ::D

Getting nothing back for him would be a windfall , how much less than nothing is the real question now. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well thats interesting.... maybe something like trading Loui, Goldy and a 3rd e.g., for Gabby makes that extra Loui year worth it for Ottawa then.

Dunno man, I would like this deal or your proposal, just have a hard time seeing Loui waiving for Ottawa if he declined Edmonton. 

Gaborik's contract is insured - they pay just over 600K per year for a 4.875M cap hit.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just have a hard time seeing Loui waiving for Ottawa if he declined Edmonton. 

In fairness, that was at the TDL and he/his agent likely felt they perhaps had more/better options AND the Canucks had far less forward depth at the time, that is now pushing him down (IMO out of) the lineup .

I would hope his agent is updating him with the current reality of the situation:

DbU9btHX4AshMga.jpg

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no he's not "garbage" he's just overpaid. There's a difference. He's a very good defensive player who can put up 30 pts. That makes him worth about 1/2 his current salary. 

The problem with the narrative you're pushing is its not based in his actual abilities and it leads to really bad trade ideas.

Maybe try the strain that makes facts more accessible. 

As a 6m player he is garbage. You call it "overpaid", it's the same conclusion, I just choose not to sugar coat it. He hasn't even put up 30 pts once with the canucks, so lets not give him credit for something he hasn't done and likely  wont as he ages. 

Granted, if his contract was 2-3m (cap hit, I'm aware of his real dollar hit) I wouldnt call him garbage, but I still wouldnt want him anywhere near this team. It's not just his lack of productivity, it's his softer than Charmin approach to the game. 3 hits all season long on any line is completely unacceptable. He's a detriment to the team, and if the playoffs have shown us anything is that you can't have players that are afraid or unwilling to play with physicality.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kushman said:

As a 6m player he is garbage. You call it "overpaid", it's the same conclusion, I just choose not to sugar coat it. He hasn't even put up 30 pts once with the canucks, so lets not give him credit for something he hasn't done and likely  wont as he ages. 

Granted, if his contract was 2-3m (cap hit, I'm aware of his real dollar hit) I wouldnt call him garbage, but I still wouldnt want him anywhere near this team. It's not just his lack of productivity, it's his softer than Charmin approach to the game. 3 hits all season long on any line is completely unacceptable. He's a detriment to the team, and if the playoffs have shown us anything is that you can't have players that are afraid or unwilling to play with physicality.

I really doubt his team mates see him that way.

The situation is what it is. But for a 3 million dollar difference in salary between what he is paid vs what he should be paid, lets not take on a worse contract and/or include picks and prospects to do it. 

• Upvote 3